"Axis Encore", the use of Axis equipment post war Group Build suggestion...4 more needed

Brad

I was wondering if there was any interest for a group build in 2017 for German, Japanese and Italian aircraft, ships and tanks use after the end of the war. Some examples are (but not limited too);

Nationalist Chinese Ki-84, Ki-61 and Ki-43.

Red Army of China Ki-43 and Ki-45

French Airforce Ki-21's, FW 190A and Ki-43

Indonesian People's Security Force Ki-43, Ki-48 Ki-79 and F1M Pete

North Korean Ki-43, Ki-54 or Ki-36/55

Soviet Air Force Focke Wulf 190D

Czech Air Force Heinkel 219, Heinkel 111, Avis S 99 and 92.

Polish Air Force Focke Wulf 190F

Japanese "Green Cross" surrender aircraft

Syrian Air Force Fiat G 55

Egyptian Air Force Macchi 205

Syrian Army Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer IV and Stug III

Finnish Army Stug III and Panzer IV

Bulgarian Army Panzer IV and Panther

French Army Panther

Norwegian Panzer III and IV

Swiss Hetzer (G13's)

German Destroyers Z5 and 6 were transfered to the French, Z14, 15, 20 and 33 were transfered to the Soviet Baltic Fleet, with Z38 being used by the Royal Navy and Z39 was transferred to the USN. IJN destroyer Yukikaze was pressed into service with the Republic of China post war and U995, type VIIC/41 was used by Norway until 1965.

I know there are quite a few missing, but it gives an idea as to how big the subject is.

Participants as of 12/02.

1 - Brad
2 - Specky
3 - Sgt Squarehead
4 - Rob G
5 - Antoine
6 - CliffB
7 - Robert Stuart
8 - Prenton
9 - Ronan71
10 - Arniec
11 - Giorgio N
12 - whitestar12chris
13 - sleeperservice
14 - Basilisk
15 - trickyrich
16 - SAU
17 - Wez
18 - spaddad
19 - Dave Flemming
20 - Moggy
21 - Foxbat
22 - gingerbob
23 -corsairfoxfouruncle
24 - Valkyrie
25 - TEMPESTMK5
26 - modelling minion
27 - ernie
Edited by Brad
  • Like 2

I think including evaluation aircraft would broaden the appeal. But I'd be interested pending some research...

I think there were more than enough aircraft pressed into service with post war air forces without including things like Watson's Whizzers et al, to support a group build. I know it's a bit of an esoteric subject, but I'm happy to provide a list of aircraft available if required.

• Like 1

I think there were more than enough aircraft pressed into service with post war air forces without including things like Watson's Whizzers et al, to support a group build. I know it's a bit of an esoteric subject, but I'm happy to provide a list of aircraft available if required.

I think a list would be good. I like unusual stuff but have no idea where the evaluation/service line is for many of the post war users.

I'm always looking for excuses to build Me 262's, so would an Avia Turbina qualify?

Built in Czechoslovakia, post-war, using parts, tools, jigs etc, captured by the Soviets as the Germans retreated

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

I'm always looking for excuses to build Me 262's, so would an Avia Turbina qualify?

Built in Czechoslovakia, post-war, using parts, tools, jigs etc, captured by the Soviets as the Germans retreated

Cheers

Craig

Absolutely, the S92's were in service until 1950ish.

I think a list would be good. I like unusual stuff but have no idea where the evaluation/service line is for many of the post war users.

Yeh it could be a bit of a grey line, but the only thing I'd exclude would be captured aircraft that were studied and tested for performance. As an example, things like American Messerschmitt 262's would be out, but Soviet Baltic Fleet Focke Wulf 190D's would be in as they reached unit level and my reference says they were flown until sometime during 1946.

So no room for Syrian Pz.IVs or French Panthers in your blinkered little world then? :shrug:

Or how about the U-Boats that served on with several nations.....But no, it's all about bloody aeroplanes as usual, isn't it! :angry:

Funny you mention that, my dad just said the same thing. Ok, I'm good with that too. Bulgarian Panzer IV's, Syrian Jagdpazer IV's, German Destroyers used by the French or even the IJN Yukikaze as she appeared in the service of the Republic of China.

• Like 1

Was thinking "Axis again" when I saw your title, but I'd get a pleasant surprise when I opened the topic.

So yes, I'm in.

Just a question, as I'm not set on anything yet, does the Japanese aircraft from the armistice commission fill the bill for

Axis aircraft that were used in the post war world?

You know, all white, with green crosses?

• Like 1

Was thinking "Axis again" when I saw your title, but I'd get a pleasant surprise when I opened the topic.

So yes, I'm in.

Just a question, as I'm not set on anything yet, does the Japanese aircraft from the armistice commission fill the bill for

You know, all white, with green crosses?

Ah yeh I reckon it does. Right on the border line though, but it would be hard to make just a group build for the armistice air force. I think the only ones flown to any extent were the Tabby's and Betty's, but there are several other options if someone is so inclined to build one.

Ah yeh I reckon it does. Right on the border line though, but it would be hard to make just a group build for the armistice air force. I think the only ones flown to any extent were the Tabby's and Betty's, but there are several other options if someone is so inclined to build one.

Yes!

I did take the time needed to weight your definition before posting.

And it fit.

But I'll understand your decision if you let those green cross birds aside, as borderline they truly are!

Don't know how it came this idea crossed my mind while reading your post, maybe because of some of the lattest hasegawa releases?

02185.jpg

02167.jpg

And there's no need to have one of those two specific boxes.

Just read this article, make your choice, buy the kit, build it, paint the green crosses, mask them (Easy!), and it's done!

Some ideas, taken from the linky above.

GreenCross10.jpg

GreenCross78.jpg

GreenCross13.jpg

GreenCross51.jpg

GreenCross03.jpg

GreenCross14.jpg

GreenCross73.jpg

GreenCross24.jpg

• Like 1

A few additions:

Nationalist Chinese Ki-84, Ki-61 and Ki-43, P1Y, Ki-51

Red Army of China Ki-43 and Ki-45, Ki-84

French Airforce & Aéronavale Ki-21's, FW 190A and Ki-43, E8N, A6M-2N, Ju 88, Ju 188

Indonesian People's Security Force Ki-43, Ki-48 Ki-79 and F1M Pete

North Korean Ki-43, Ki-54 or Ki-36/55

Soviet Air Force Focke Wulf 190D

Czech Air Force Heinkel 219, Heinkel 111, Avis S 99 and 92.

Polish Air Force Focke Wulf 190F

Japanese "Green Cross" surrender aircraft

Syrian Air Force Fiat G 55

Egyptian Air Force Macchi 205

Syrian Army Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer IV and Stug III

Finnish Army Stug III and Panzer IV

Bulgarian Army Panzer IV and Panther

French Army Panther, Pz IV

Norwegian Panzer III and IV

Swiss Hetzer (G13's)

• Like 1

How about the best looking warship the Americans have ever had: USS Prinz Eugen!?

That's a bit of a border line one that I'd say doesn't really fit as it was only really examined and tested, before being allocated as a target. The US didn't even want her, they just didn't want the Russians getting it.

• Like 1

A few additions:

I don't know of a French E8N Dave, the only one I was aware of are the Thai one(s), but I'd like to see a picture of a French one. Also, the Red Amry Ki 84 picture is a proven fake.

You can also add the Willow, the A6M5 and A6M2-K to the Nationalist Chinese.

Brad,

You might want to start making a list of suspects supporters for this GB, I think you are nearly half-way to your 30 names for the vote

Not a bad start.

1 - Brad
2 - Specky
3 - Sgt Squarehead
4 - Rob G
5 - Antoine
6 - CliffB
7 - Robert Stuart
8 - Prenton
9 - Ronan71
10 - Arniec
11 - Giorgio N