Romanian (ex-Yugoslav) Hurricane - Airfix 1/72

Fin

Hello to anyone watching this!

I am going to build - or try to anyway - the number 15 Hurricane in Romanian service as it appears in the early eastern front campaign. This particular aircraft is one of the Yugoslav built Hurricanes that was captured by the Germans during their Balkan campaign and sold to Romania afterwords. If I`m successful, it should look like the one on the cover of the Romanian Fighter Colours (but with the Mickey Mouse in the Romanian national colours and a more blueish underside).

39056700081_2dd2e54d48_b.jpg

25189853578_bd079759b0_b.jpg

The actual kit is the 1/72 Airfix 01010 Hawker Hurricane MkI and I also got a few aftermarkets:
- decal sheet from RB Productions containing the Romanian crosses and Mounted Mickey Mouse emblem (RB-D72008)
- five spoke resin wheels by CMK (Q72197)
- canopy masks by Peewit (M72001)
- Eduard`s super fabric early RAF seatbelts will arrive later on.

Radu Branzan`s decals contain only the crosses and the emblem so I`m gonna have to somehow improvise the 15 present on the tail. I`m leaning towards self-made masks at the moment, even though I`ve never done this before. The fact that the numbers go over a three colours camouflage doesn`t help matters either. On the other hand, home-made decals would also be tricky given the light colour of the numbers (yellow) and the dark camouflage on which they need to be applied.

Lastly, apart from some kits glued with superglue and left unpainted many years ago, this would be only the third model that I start so you should not expect any spectacular results, apart from a finished model. :D Hopefully I`ll get some fun from this process.

EDIT: I apologize for not finishing this in time! Since this GB is close for posting now I have posted the photos of the completed mode here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031178-romanian-hurricane-mki-airfix-172/

Edited by Fin
replaced the PB links
  • Like 1

Interesting choice. Do you know of a picture showing this aircraft as shown in the colour profile on the book cover?

Cheers, Peter

Thank you! An interesting subject might somewhat compensate for my skills in building this. :D

Unfortunately, I don`t have a picture showing it with all the Romanian markings. The camouflage is the Yugoslav one though and there are a few images of the aircraft before being delivered to Romania, including one that shows it already sporting the Romanian tricolor on the rudder, the first half of the fuselage band and yellow painted nose. It`s included in the book and also available on the forums here so you may already be aware of it:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234951133-yugoslav-hurricanes-recommended-schemes/page-2#entry1524398

Edited by Fin

• 1 month later...

Hi Fin,

I'm looking forward to watching this. I have the kit in the stash, I wanted to do a different paint scheme to the one provided, and this is certainly different!;)

Hope you haven't given up on it.

All best regards

Tony

• Thanks 1