1:35 Matilda

My latest armor build: Tamiya's very nice Matilda.

The kit had a few extra details made from wire, tape, and thin styrene rod. All painting was done with Vallejo points. Weathering was done with artists oils, various ground pastels, ground pencil graphite, Mig pigments, white glue, Tamiya smoke, a bunch of Vallejo earth tones, and Liquitex matte medium.

The model is ~90% brush painted. I only used the airbrush for a few matte coats, and a semi-transluscent coat of sand color.

The specific tank modeled is not 100% historically accurate, but it captures the feel of the period and environment pretty well, I think.

DSC02575_zpsshheraxg.jpg

DSC02574_zpsztwkbckm.jpg

DSC02573_zpstbxwnyrc.jpg

DSC02572_zpscfda4oz2.jpg

DSC02569_zps1so81b5i.jpg

DSC02568_zpsnu5jbhgg.jpg

DSC02567_zps3dvphvhh.jpg

DSC02565_zpsf5t0ay0j.jpg

ugh! That bedroll looks like plastic, not cloth!

• Like 24

Most excellent !

I love the Matilda, but whenever I'm reminded of just how small that cannon is, it does make me wonder how we Brits ever thought we'd stand a chance against Rommel's panzers.

Well done.

Badder.

One of my favourite tanks. Nice to see a proper caunter scheme rather than the Tamiya (Bovington Tank Museum) version.

I have one in my stash and if I can finish it half as good as yours I will be very happy.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks again. Vallejo paints made the caunter scheme a fairly simple task.

Badder, I have the same reaction regarding the gun, but I understand they were fairly effective against the earlier panzers. Just slow and ungainly,

One of my favorite tanks, regardless.

Most excellent !

I love the Matilda, but whenever I'm reminded of just how small that cannon is, it does make me wonder how we Brits ever thought we'd stand a chance against Rommel's panzers.

Badder.

In its day the 2 pounder was a very effective weapon. Initially the Matilda was a formidable weapon, invulnerable to the standard German anti-tank guns and able to destroy anything it met. But as time went on and the Germans increased armour protection and started using a long 75mm gun on the Panzer IV it effectively lost its title of Queen of the Desert.

• Like 2

I think the main criticism of the 2-pdr at the time was that it didn't fire HE rounds so was less useful against softskin targets. Though if it actually hit a truck's engine that would do the job. But there would be little collateral damage to the rest of the enemy column as would have been the case for HE.

• 2 weeks later...