242 Sqn, Willy Mcknight's P2961.....can someone answer me a question please?

mackem01

After all the discussion on the authenticity of 527 Sqn's "orange" machine I've put this one on the back burner and decided to

build the machine in the title. Sky models decals show the machine as having black/white wings and a sky fuselage. However

I've seen some sources that state the fuselage may have been in silver. Would anyone care to weigh in?

I have started on cleaning up and painting the parts but nothing much to post a picture yet (just as well as my interweb connection is running really slow at the moment - the GB would probably be finished by the time the first picture loaded!)

Thanks for your opinions / advice.....

The undersides of this aircraft were Sky with a black wing. The Sky Decals codes are the wrong style wrong if you look at a photo of the real thing and I ended up painting my own onto the model. If it helps here is my attempt in 1/48th scale, using Sky Decals and the Hasegawa Mk.I kit;

DSCF7812_zps2u5ljaaz.jpg

DSCF7810_zpsgqd2qgmw.jpg

DSCF7814_zpswzhzleka.jpg

Good luck with yours and I hope this helps,

Cheers

Tony

PS- The wing roots on the real aircraft were very heavily scuffed down to the bare metal as if the ground crew had been sliding down the wing with hob nailed boots on!

• Like 3

I'll second Tony's advice :)

I'd also recommend the Aviaeology transfer set here:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AOD480071

... as it contains slightly but noticeably different skeleton decals for the port and starboard sides as on the real aircraft (as well as markings for several other early Hurricanes - the link is for the 1/48 set as I assume that is what you need but it is available in 1/72 as well).

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having been very lax with this build, I think it's time to "get some in". This is where I'm currently at:

z1nwg.jpg

This is the first time I've used the Yahu instrument panel and I have to say it's a thing of beauty.

15gf3f4.jpg

. As I'm using the old Airfix Mk1 kit I had to shavea little off each side so it would fit properly but it's fitted nicely.

I'm ready to join the wings to the fuselage and if I remember correctly this is the worst fault of the kit.

5wh1c.jpg

Update to follow...........

• Like 1

Today's update........................................B***ER!!! Try as I might those wings will not go on. I have tried filing the wing roots, filing down the top of the

undercart box, but the kit is having none of it. Plan B has been activated and I have sent for new Airfix Hurri.......................good times ahead???

• 2 weeks later...

OK, back into the frey with this. The original kit wings would not mate to the fuselage as the undercarriage box seems to be too thick. I'll strip it back to bare plastic and try again in the future, but to meet the GB deadline I've been and got a couple of the new Airfix Hurri's, one of which will be used here. So this is where I am at the moment with a lot of work to do:

2mcelg0.jpg

28uts75.jpg

I find I can get a better wing/fuselage join if I fix the seat bulkhead into the fuselage rather than into the cockpit assembly................works for

me anyhoo.

There's still a long way to go but I'm still in the mix and haven't given up yet!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's progress report is a summary of painting that has gone on since the weekend. May I first say that this effort has gone together superbly with absolutely no need for filler! So after a light sanding I prepared to throw some paint at her:

Undercoated:

2yx0ymf.jpg

Followed by a coat of Humbrol Dark Earth:

2ica3ok.jpg

34xmecg.jpg

Then I decided to use some old Compucolour2 Dark Green, which after half an hour remixing went on really well:

nl4qxe.jpg

oazuxk.jpg

Now it's at this point I need the hive mind to offer some advice. I intend to use the Sky Models decals to finish the aircraft in McKnight's distinctive

markings. This shows the aircraft as of January '41 with a black spinner and no Sky fuselage band. However other references have it marked

with a Sky spinner and fuselage band (see tonyot's lovely rendition above). My question is basically are both correct? I have never been able to find

a complete picture of the aircraft to confirm the details so I don't know if both are correct or my decals are wrong. When were the Sky spinners and

fuselage bands introduced on service aircraft?

T.I.A.......

Others will add to this.

Sky decal are notoriously wrong on McKnight's Hurricane

I asked the same questions a while ago;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234960525-another-hurricane-colour-scheme-question/

The Sky spinner and tail band were introduced in November 1940

So, after having had the Dragon-in-law down on holiday all week, I finally got some time on the table. I have just a couple of shots that show the painting mostly finished and all being well the first Quickshine coat should be applied later. Having a fondness for the Hurricane this build is no chore, but having just discovered the fun of undersides that include black, I feel a couple more of these will be forthcoming sooner rather than later. If anyone can let me know of any decent refs for this type of underside it would be much appreciated. But I digress, here are the two piccies:

2rxywba.jpg

Upper surface camo adjusted slightly and Sky band applied.

rm5vk6.jpg

Undersides done with much enjoyment!

Now lunch and quickshine time.

Just a couple of tasters after tonight's application of the main decals (I am so please right now!):

24vnpkh.jpg

15pj3hw.jpg

Hopefully I'll get time for the stencilling tomorrow if all goes to plan - and the plasterer finishes sharpish!

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's episode from the little black table of Hurricane delights. All decalling has been finished, coated with Quickshine, then Matt coated. Tonight has mainly been dirtying up the kit:

jqqrzo.jpg

105p7r5.jpg

14x1b9f.jpg

21kz47o.jpg

Very pleased with my progress and I swear I'll never tire of building this kit.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...