MPC/Round 2 1:48 scale 22" Eagle Transporter

It only occurred to me this week to decant it... when it was too late and the majority of the painting has been done :( I did it anyway and have 20ml of the paint in empty Tamiya bottles that can be used for touch ups etc.

Sigh... oh well things are coming along now - I'll get some more photos posted later today for the most recent progress...

• Like 1

As promised here is the latest updates...

DSC_4533.JPG

These are the thrusters and I had a bit of a crisis while assembling them. I'd spent a couple of days carefully painting with Alcad paints inside and outside, with each set of 4 held in some blue tac. Then on preparing to assemble, I dropped one set and one of the bells vanished into the maw of the dreaded carpet monster! I ended up having to salvage a replacement thruster bell from the resin Replicas Unlimited kit I've got in the stash. Can you tell which one is the replacement?

DSC_4535.JPG

The cages have been attached to the walkways and the spine then attached. Everything has been painted with Halfords Ford Diamond White from the aerosol - see my previous post for when I finally realised I could have made life easier for myself by decanting the paint only AFTER I'd done the majority of the painting :(

I've also used a dark wash to accentuate the surface detail and added some decals salvaged form old sheets in the spares box.

DSC_4536.JPG

The spine and both cages. I masked for the red/black stripes but suffered some paint creep under the tape. Thankfully the now decanted paint was available for touch ups! I got some more old decals for more stripes.

DSC_4537.JPG

]The beak - painted with Diamond white, then some panels masked and sprayed with a light grey and light blue/green, then finally the matt black panels masked and sprayed. I will be using the dark wash on the surface detail once all the paint is cured.

DSC_4538.JPG

I've cheated a bit and haven't done much detailing on the underside ;)

DSC_4539.JPG

The engines have also been painted and decals applied. This has also had a mild dark wash to dirty it up and bring out the surface detail.

DSC_4541.JPG

The feet have been painted with Tamiya XF 69 Nato Black, then has had a neutral grey wash to bring out the surface detail.

DSC_4543.JPG

Four side pods all lined up in a row... I've used the dacals for the thruster backgrounds as I didn't fancy masking that up. These will be detailed later, by masking different coloured panels and using the architects markings included int he decals for the kit. On the studio version these were letraset rub-down transfers that were used to add some fine detailed markings.

DSC_4545.JPG

Front cage showing stripes and decals

DSC_4546.JPG

Finally in this update, the rear cage. I've spent most of this evening masking the damn side pods for the panels detail, bloody hell is that tedious!!!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 10

Okay, after seeing this I no longer want one of these.....

.... I NEED one!

Cracking work, by the way. Will it be ready for Smallspace?

• Like 1

So here we go into the final straight...

The Engine bells have been fixed to the engine and this in turn has been attached to the rear cage:

DSC_4547.JPG

DSC_4548.JPG

They really don't look plastic do they :D

Command module aka "the beak" has had the last set of panels masked and painted, plus a mild dark wash applied to the lower areas to make the panels pop a bit more. Then decals were added and the window maskign peeled off

DSC_4549.JPG

The sensors or whatever they are were added - sadly by camera is playing silly buggers and overexposed the bits nearest.

DSC_4551.JPG

Four pods all ready for attachment. I used the springs that come with the kit for the leg suspensions, but they are a bit too string and the model rides a bit too high. I think they springs have been tensioned assuming the models weighs more with the aluminium engine bells added lol

DSC_4552.JPG

There was a ridiculous amount of masking and spraying of panels on this, followed up with pencil lines and decals

DSC_4553.JPG

Camera again overexposed the faces closest to the camera - its the problem of photographing white things I think.

DSC_4554.JPG

The kit comes with a plethora of small decals that can be used to decorate - lots of them are reproductions of old Letraset rub-down architectural symbols. You can recognise baths, sinks and kitchen units :)

DSC_4555.JPG

However, they add a lot of "busyness" to the model which is great. I must admit to skimping a bit when it came to the passenger pod

DSC_4556.JPG

it simply got painted and then a mild dark wash to bring out the details and then applied the decals

DSC_4557.JPG

SO here it is at last... the pods are a push fit into their slots - the fit is tight enough that they don't need glue!

DSC_4558.JPG

Opps forgot the passenger pod!

DSC_4559.JPG

Here it is with its baby-brother, courtesy of Product Enterprises from a few years ago :)

DSC_4560.JPG

So here are some finished pics - I'll repost this in the RFI section later...

DSC_4561.JPG

DSC_4562.JPG

DSC_4563.JPG

DSC_4564.JPG

DSC_4565.JPG

DSC_4566.JPG

DSC_4567.JPG

• Like 20

Beautiful! Really is a big beast. Can't wait to start mine when it eventually turns up from Tony. :popcorn:

Just to add it turned up today, a stunning kit, great box adorned with fantastic images and is a lot bigger than I imagined.

Edited by Jay
  • Like 1

Silly question, But do you think a few added weights in the pods would help the 'ride-height', for future builders? (i.e: ME.)

I tried an experiment yesterday and put my bag of lead shot (0.75kg) on the model. This lowered the springs by about 4mm - so to get the approx 1cm reduction you'd need about 2kg weight! I don't reckon that is a practical solution :)

Mine arrived care of niece post a couple of weeks back (I got it posted to her's place in LA and she brought it over to the UK so I avoided the HMRC bandits) and its still sat in it's box on the shelf, until I have time to work on it. It looks like a smashing kit and I'll be well chuffed it comes out half as good as yours has. Although my fingers are itching to make a start, I have my R65ls BMW (see my profile snap) finish rebuilding first as I need the bike ready and run in before the Welsh Rally at the start of May. (I've got a modern BMW 1200 but I had the 65 for 30 years and its my rally bike.)

How the heck have I missed this? Space 1999 was an integral part of my childhood and this brings memories flooding back.

That is a brilliant piece of modelling. It looks enormous!

• Like 1