Ju 88 in Spanish Air Force service colours & equipment?

Cheezburger

Hi all,

I am planning on building Revell's 1/32 Ju 88 A4 in the course of this year. I got the montex set of masks since I want to do a Spanish version.

The set shows the general colour scheme (identical to a German one).

I was wondering now if someone has links and hints regarding details such as: paint options for propellers, bombs and such.

Also I would be thankful for information regarding the equipment of the planes, like what types of bombs they used at all/are there options for external fuel tanks etc.?

Of course I've searched the web a bit but I couldn't find a lot on this topic only few not-so-awesome pictures.

Maybe someone who is an expert at Spanish aviation knows of any literature or (maybe Spanish language) links on the issue?

Edited by Cheezburger

The propellers will have been the German ones, RLM70. I rather doubt that it carried any bombs, but the Spanish are likely to have had stocks of German bombs from the Civil War, and as these would have fitted directly onto the carriers then these would have been used in preference. I suggest SC250s, either in RLM02 or RLM65. The standard Ju88A-4 will have had the option of tanks on the inboard carriers underwing, but I doubt that the Spanish would have had stocks.

That's a good point, thanks. It makes sense that they wouldn't have had a full inventory for these planes to choose from. Could it be that there are domestically made bombs and equipment to be used? I am trying to explore this since it would be nice to add something "typically Spanish" to the plane to make the whole thing more interesting.

There probably were local bombs, indeed almost certainly, and as they will have been designed/modified to fit those same German carriers on the He111 that was Spain's standard bomber, then they will fit on the Ju88. However I don't know where to find any information about them - assuming they were not just clones of the SC250 anyway.

Maybe you'll find these pics of any use...

C2984D3EE5592705C12576BE00411FE6T20.jpg

JU88%20espa%C3%B1ol%202.jpg

Ju-88%20EA.jpg

ju88130regejdelaire.jpg

Please note that Spanish Air Force hade several Ju88, from different sources, thus with different colour schemes.....

During 1942, Spain bought some planes directly from Germany (Bär Program), along with other Luftwaffe or Wehrmacht equipment. The planes wich came under the Bär Program, were locally repainted in a colour similar to RLM71 over the top surfaces, and light blue on the undersides.

Some original german planes (both Ju88A and Ju88C) landed in Spain during the war, and were put into spanish service, keeping their original colours.

From 1939 to 1941, the fuselage Yoke and Arrows emblem was in red colour, lately changed to white from 1943 onwards. From 1945, right at the end of the war in Europe, the black disc with Falangist emblem was substituted by the red/yellow/red cocarde of the Royal House of Borbon.

Propeller blades were probably painted RLM71 or similar. No external fuel tanks were ever carried by spanish Junkers......and regarding warload, SC250 bombs were standard spanish equipment at that moment, keeping the original german colours. By the way, spanish Ju88s wern't fitted with dive brakes...

I'm not at home now, will look for further information this evening...

Cheers...

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1

Thanks, Artie, for these very valuable pieces of information. I've seen some of these pictures already but without you pointing it out I wouldn't even have noticed the missing dive breaks!

That proves very helpful. Do you perhaps know if the machineguns were the standard type of the Luftwaffe or are there any diffenrences?

Hi......to be fair, I must say that I've never seen any of them with machine guns fitted. if you take a closer look at the pics, the seem to be unarmed. I'd say the machine guns were standard luftwaffe ones, but were rarely seen fittede to aircraft. These planes were never used in real combat operations, so no need to add an extra weight......

Cheers.....

By the way......if you're planning to add some pilot figures, please note that spanish aviators didn't use german uniforms, but something quite similar to the standard italian garment....

I'd like to do one of these too. I was wondering if they ever used the silver/ blue post war scheme as per the 111 on the Junkers.

In one word: NO.

That colour scheme of aluminium paint {not NMF} over light blue {similar to Humbrol 89}, was called "Inmaculada Concepcion". It's not exactly a post war scheme, but a late fifties one.....by that time, the Junkers had been already scrapped due to lack of spare parts, as most WWII built planes....

Cheers.....