XP-47H in 1/48

Well, as can be guessed from this picture...

DSCF9037_zpsws7amfy6.jpg

...I lost a part...

One of the resin scoops pinged off into the wild blue nothingness, and resisted all efforts at being discovered.

So, it's out with the mold and resin - which I hope isn't too old by now - to make a replacement.

Wish me luck...

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2

For all I've done with resin, I'm still a novice. It's not that hard to do though once you actually do it for the first time. I bought the two-part mold and resin from Harbor Freight.

Thankfully, my fears that the two part mold bottles were too old was unfounded! I had to shake them up quite a bit as they'd gone solid, but they're loosening up.

Here's the mold and the master.

XP-47H-053_zps3by5ewwp.jpg

There must have been an air pocket inside, because the hollow of the master only extends in so far as the inner lip. That's no problem though. Like the original, I'll carefully dremel out the cavity.

And here is the mold with the 2 part resin. As I type this, it's getting cloudy and rising up a bit, as this resin expands a bit. So about an hour from pour, I should have a replacement scoop!

XP-47H-054_zpsekbjkblx.jpg

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 5

I forgot to take a pic of the fresh part, warts and all. It had a bulge on the mating surface and a tongue of resin sticking out the inlet. Some careful dremel-ing got rid of that and opened up the inlet. Do this well ventilated and with a dust mast at least. Resin dust stays in the lungs and becomes a bad irritant.

XP-47H-055_zpsptnswq0f.jpg

XP-47H-056_zps8i39coza.jpg

Both parts still need some cleaning up, and I have to add some material to the new part. I have to remember that the resin I'm using is not as hard as the ones that came with the kit. It's easier to sand, and so easier to go a leetle too far...

• Like 6

Very nice, I only discovered resin casting last year, and I'm hooked!!

Don't worry, you'll find that missing scoop........in about a years time!

And yes resin dust is pretty bad for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a week or so since the last update. I've been distracted by a pair of X-Wings...

Since, I have put the scoops on and they looked mighty messy a few times.

XP-47H-057_zpscwnemm0i.jpg

XP-47H-059_zpsyjrsjkuh.jpg

XP-47H-058_zps9tltazbv.jpg

I also put the 'dash' in place, which is a PE piece, then the cockpit glass was masked and the front piece applied

I sprayed it interior green, then used that to test the join lines all around, which are looking pretty dang good! I'm happy with most of them.

The scoops as well, as after some liberal applications of nail polish remover over the dissolved putty, i have a pretty smooth transition.

XP-47H-061_zpss0oawemo.jpg

XP-47H-062_zpskrpwzdlg.jpg

XP-47H-063_zpsofaotoug.jpg

XP-47H-064_zpshzwlvwoh.jpg

XP-47H-065_zps6su46j4y.jpg

I'll need to apply a little more putty on the lower fuselage join, as one side is showing a slight step and sand down a little here there, but that is as close to good as I've ever gotten on a first shot!

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 6

That is a shame to hear, I have been a great conversion and it was really interesting to watch and follow.

Please keep updating this thread as I'm sure that there are quite who want to see this beast completed.

I will continue it! I will struggle with the panel lines until they are good! Or at least good enough... :pilot:

Should I keep it here, or move it en mass to the Works in Progress - Aircraft section?

where you feel happiest with, though I think it deserves to go in the WIP section so everyone can appreciate the work you're doing.

Just ask Enzo to move it across....I think he can do it?? Or start a new thread with a link back to here.....and a link her to it.

• 2 weeks later...