Cylon Centurian - Building Advice Welcomed

nheather

I usually build 1:35 armour, but as I am a big Battlestar Galactica fan I got a surprise Christmas from the family - the Revell 1:6 Cylon Centurion.

Not started yet but having looked at the parts and tried a few dry fit tests I am a little daunted

1 - from the limited dry fit test so far it looks like it is going to be okay but it will a good amount of filler and TLC.

2 - although the front of the instructions call out a multitude of subtly different metallic colours, other than the box art there isn't much in the way of guidance of how it should be painted

3 - but it is the painting itself that I find most daunting. The basic structure of a cylon is a skeleton which is a dark gunmetal, and external armour that is highly chromed. My immediate thought is that it needs to be painted from the inside out, painting the skeleton and then assembling the armour and painting that. But much of the armour forms tubes around the arms and the legs and I just know that those pieces are going to need a lot of work to hide the joins - can't see it being a case of paint the armour first, fit and then a quick touch up on the joins.

So I'd appreciate any advice on how best to assemble and paint one of these - it is simply so different to anything I normally do.

Cheers,

Nigel

When I did mine, I painted the internal parts in the gunmetal, then I masked them up through the holes in the outer part. It took a while and a bit of fettling to get the masking to sit on the inside. I then sprayed it gloss black and applied an alclad finish over the top of it.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

When I did mine, I painted the internal parts in the gunmetal, then I masked them up through the holes in the outer part. It took a while and a bit of fettling to get the masking to sit on the inside. I then sprayed it gloss black and applied an alclad finish over the top of it.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Did you build first and then paint gunmetal through the holes or did you assemble the skeleton, paint it gunmetal, then assemble the armour, mask and paint.

And did you build and paint the arms, legs, torso and head seperately and then assemble - although I don't think it is possible to paint the torso first becuase assembling it encases the arms, legs and head.

Cheers,

Nigel

When I built mine back a few years ago I painted most the skeleton and built the armour around that.

I painted the armour with Alclad Chrome and polished aluminium for a bit of variance then added that to the skeleton.

Most of the joins of the armour parts fall along natural joins of the metal plates so not too many problem touch ups.

I did modify the pose slightly, from the box the head just looks straight ahead into the distance, which I didn't like much. Cool large figure once done though.

1_zps1688b473.jpg

3_zpsbf15bd8d.jpg

Edited by SMD70
  • Like 1

As others have said: Paint, assemble section, mask. Paint, assemble next section, mask, Etc.

Like SMD70, I didn't like the pose provided. It looked like a disco dancing stance. So I decided to go with that. Cy's partner is a Barbie doll

Dancing_with_the_Stars.jpg

• Like 5

When I built mine back a few years ago I painted most the skeleton and built the armour around that.

I painted the armour with Alclad Chrome and polished aluminium for a bit of variance then added that to the skeleton.

Most of the joins of the armour parts fall along natural joins of the metal plates so not too many problem touch ups.

I did modify the pose slightly, from the box the head just looks straight ahead into the distance, which I didn't like much. Cool large figure once done though.

1_zps1688b473.jpg

3_zpsbf15bd8d.jpg

That is fantastic - I can only hope mine comes out any near that good.

Cheers,

Nigel

As others have said: Paint, assemble section, mask. Paint, assemble next section, mask, Etc.

Like SMD70, I didn't like the pose provided. It looked like a disco dancing stance. So I decided to go with that. Cy's partner is a Barbie doll

Dancing_with_the_Stars.jpg

Agree with the pose, it did strike me as odd. Very funny what you have done with it.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks,

Did you build first and then paint gunmetal through the holes or did you assemble the skeleton, paint it gunmetal, then assemble the armour, mask and paint.

And did you build and paint the arms, legs, torso and head seperately and then assemble - although I don't think it is possible to paint the torso first becuase assembling it encases the arms, legs and head.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel, I painted it with all the parts assembled and masked them as I went along. I then fitted one of the available roving light kits. It looks very effective and really brings the model alive