Black Mike, Phantom FG.1 XV582

At Sea

Hello,

Just wondering if Black Mike ever flew operationally in allover gloss black, usual Air Defence load of Sgt Fletcher tanks, 4 Sidewinders, 4 SkyFlash & a gun or central tank?

Can't find any pics on line of her in anything other than a clean condition.

Thanks.

Thanks, I was just wondering if she had been used as a 'normal aircraft' when not on show. A pic of her formating on a Bear would be awesome!

I'm building her (him?) and have found a few pics with full AAM load out but non with tanks. However I'm suspicious as to wether the pics with missiles in situ are from service days or after the aircraft was withdrawn and on static.

• Like 1

She was on limited hours/no expense for that last season - 111 were winding down on the F4. If anything (major) had gone wrong, she wouldn't have been repaired, but she was carefully eeked out until the last show at Leuchars and her final flight (I have a signed print that was flown on that flight)

• Like 1

Make for an excellent WIf diorama, 1/48 Black Mike, 1/72 111 Phantom in airdefence grey, both with 3 tanks, SkyFlash & Sidewinder, Black Mike's tanks being a low viz grey tatty pair from the pool.

Formating on a 1/144 scale Bear, faces at the windows and cameras out...

..for someone with a much better eye for perspective than me! Lol

Building what I like, when I like, how I like.

;)

Go for it.

Ive been trying to find an in flight diorama to link you to that I saw on here of (I think) a couple of Typhoons, (could have been Tornados though) - one in 1/48, the other in 1/72 (or was it 1/72 and 1/144?). As you can maybe guess, my search was fruitless...

Point being - it looked alright, perspective worked. Apols for the "cool story brah", but its on here somewhere and worth searching out if youre serious.

• Like 1

;)

Go for it.

Ive been trying to find an in flight diorama to link you to that I saw on here of (I think) a couple of Typhoons, (could have been Tornados though) - one in 1/48, the other in 1/72 (or was it 1/72 and 1/144?). As you can maybe guess, my search was fruitless...

Point being - it looked alright, perspective worked. Apols for the "cool story brah", but its on here somewhere and worth searching out if youre serious.

No worries Brah! ;-)

I'm probably going to just whiff the whole Black Mike with tatty grey tanks thing if I was going to do it.

Last diorama I built was when I was 13 and invloved a T-34 and some persil for snow.

2 problems using persil for snow...

1) you have to pick the blue and red bits out.

2) it absorbs water, goes clumpy and eventually you look like you have made a T-34 driving through packing wotsits diorama...

Edited by At Sea
  • Like 1