White T-34s

nheather

Does anyone know whether any T-34s came out of the factory painted white.

I'm familiar with thise that were whitewashed in the field but these have a patchy incomplete look.

But I have just bought an AFV Club T34/76 and 3 of the 4 colour schemes call for overall flat white.

I have also seen some museum pieces that are clearly painted white (not just white washed) , though I accept that might be inaccurate.

Also I have seen a few actual wartime finishes where the coverage is regular and complete, suggesting that it isn't just field applued whitewash.

Appreciate any views?

Cheers,

Nigel

Suggestions here that it was the case

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_T34-76.php

7 images from the end.

Also suggestions about tanks leaving unpainted , so as Sgt says if any white was available logically you would think it would be given

a splash of white.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jfUy575GgIYC&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=t-34+painted+white+from+the+factory&source=bl&ots=LGQsV5qrSB&sig=c9rZPO74bFL-4aPC26SmbUdgSXQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS-rDBy9LKAhWBxRQKHUmDA0cQ6AEILDAE#v=onepage&q&f=false

Suggestions here that it was the case

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_T34-76.php

7 images from the end.

Also suggestions about tanks leaving unpainted , so as Sgt says if any white was available logically you would think it would be given

a splash of white.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=jfUy575GgIYC&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=t-34+painted+white+from+the+factory&source=bl&ots=LGQsV5qrSB&sig=c9rZPO74bFL-4aPC26SmbUdgSXQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS-rDBy9LKAhWBxRQKHUmDA0cQ6AEILDAE#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks for the info. I did see the picture of the tanks on what looks like railway flat cars. I can't tell whether they are leaving a factory or just being transported and that is a railway building. Also the finish doesn't look that solid - quite patchy at the front and areas missing under the gun barrel. So I'm not convinced that this isn't just a thorough whitewash or a field paint job over the top of russian greed.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Those are whitewashed.....I've had a brief snout through the T-34 Bible (Mythical Weapon) and I couldn't find any suggestion of a white basecoat. :nerd:

Thank, I'm going to ignore the instructions and go with a base of Russian Green and then try the Ammo Washable White but with a good solid cover and wearing away in places.

Question about insignia. I have seen plenty of examples where the igsigna was clearly on the green and the whitwash painted roughly around it but was insignia ever applied over whitewash.

The painting instructions in the the kit and some colour plates that I have seen certainly suggest that was the case.

But if so wouldn't the insignia just run off with the whitewash when it rained?

Cheers,

Nigel

Yup slogans over whitewash is fine.....I've got one to do on my KV-220 which was one of those vehicles that departed straight from the factory to the front. It has the usual green basecoat overpainted with whitewash and the crew have painted "For Russia" in red on the turret at some point after they took it off the conveyor line in the factory. :nerd:

It's the one dangling in mid-air:

320px-KV-220_(2).jpg

Thanks,

Do you think the slogans and insignia would have run because they were painted on top of whitewash or do you think that as they were proper paint they would have been more resilent.

Not that have have much choice as they are decals so I can't make them run - can make the whitewash run and smear over the insignias as it weathers.

Maybe I am over thinking this.

Cheers,

Nigel.

I realise this involves an aeroplane and you're talking about tanks, but during the winter months, some Il-2s were finished at the factory with a nicely-applied even coat of whitewash over the 'summer camouflage'. This looked quite different from the often very splotchy field-applied whitewash. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were done with the T-34. They were all made by the same huge company after all (The Communist Party of the Soviet Union).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Yes, that photograph of the white T-34s is reminiscent of the Il-2 assembly line with the winter-camouflaged Shturmoviks. The factory-whitewashed Il-2s were so neatly done that the paint went right up to the insignia and the paint appeared to have been sprayed on with an air gun.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1