A-7E Corsair II VA-97

Hi All,

The Hasegawa 1/48 A-7E Corsair is a wonderful example of the state of the art in the late '80's as far as the mainstream injection Molded manufacturers are concerned- it has a level of detail and features, such as detailed avionics bays, separate flaps and detailed cockpit that set Hasegawa at the top of the tree in those heady days, and as a kit it outstrips it's contemporary's such as the Hasegawa 1/48 F-16 and F-15. It also sports the finest injected molded AIM-9's I have encountered in any kit to date, although more modern toolings may have overtaken this aspect of the kit.

DSC00394.jpg

This is the Revell of Germany boxing of this venerable classic, and I snapped this edition up around 10 years ago, being familiar with the contents and harbouring a soft spot for the good old "SLUF" (Perhaps I feel a certain kinship with it's sobriquet!)

f946c65e-c9a6-4eb1-a0fc-00f54059d622.jpg

I utilised the Superscale VA-97 Corsair decals, to depict the aircraft as it appeared in April 1980, part of the USS Coral Sea's air wing, and sporting the identification stripes applied to the US Navy aircraft as part of Operation Evening Light, which itself was the Airpower component of Operation Eagle Claw, the mission to rescue the Americans held in Tehran who didn't make it to the Canadian embassy. The sheet is still around in various outlets, and I also understand that Hasegawa released the kit with these markings as a special edition some years ago.

DSC00386.jpg

Many hours of searching the web for the few photographs of the VA-97 aircraft of the period resulted in the identification of the weapons load as a pair of Rockeye II CBU on the middle pylons, two fuel tanks on the inners and a pair of AIM-9's for self defence. I used the kit's AIM-9D as they are superb, although some grainy black and white shots hint that AIM-9L's may have been utilised at the time, although I am unsure as to the Lima's in service date.

I added a pair of the Eduard Brassin Rockeyes and Bob's your Uncle:

24665631331_b2178fc823_c.jpg

I am very pleased with some aspects of this build, although there is a lot of room for improvement, but overall an enjoyable build.

DSC00380_1.jpg

As always, thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Troffa

(edited to correct Photobucket ineptitude)

• Like 31

Hello,Troffa - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Corsair'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the restrained weathering.I love the colourful 'hi-viz' schemes worn by Navy and Marine types and this 'Corsair' is a resplendent tribute to the aircraft and also the period.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Great work and choice of scheme. You were quite right to use the AIM-9D supplied in the kit , the AIM-9L was in service at this point but they were predominantly used by the USMC fighter squadrons on board the Coral Sea.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for the very kind comments, It's a great kit, and one of my favourites. I am keeping a weather eye out for a "D" model, as a Sluf in USAF camouflage would be a nice addition to my collection.

Thanks again,

Troffa

Corsairs are great aircraft and you have built a very nice one.

I agree with your thoughts about the quality if Hasegawa kits; worth every penny. My favourites were their F16's.

• Like 1