Books on WWI Pilots Other Than British

Brian J

I am renewing my acquaintance with a book that I thoroughly enjoyed over thirty years ago, The 'First Of The Few' by Denis Winter (I can't believe I just typed that!) and am wondering if any books are available that consider the topic of a pilots life e.g. training, living conditions, how they related with squadron mates and their enemies from the German or French perspective. Most books on the subject are considered from a British or American perspective. I would enjoy learning how other nationalities experienced that war.

On that note, what other books on the general subject of WWI aviation might others recommend?

I remember my father had a superb book, "German War Birds". Can't remember a great deal about it, but it gave the stories of all of the greats, Richhofen, Immelman, Boelke, Goering.

Just looked on Google, here is a link to a copy being sold on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/German-War-Birds-Vigilant/dp/1612001890

PS. There are several for sale on the site we shouldn't mention! :book:

Sorry, it's from a British point of view again but you might look out for Bomber Pilot 1916-18 by C P O Bartlett, Ian Allen, 1974. Day-by-day diary of an RNAS pilot flying D.H.4s. Very immediate and vivid. Sort of thing that is pretty common for WW2 pilots but less so for WW1.