B-17 With A Difference Part 2- 1/72nd B-17F Fortress 9202 `Mailplane', 168 (HT) Sqn, RCAF, but now in its later overall silver scheme

Hi Tony,

Not sure how I missed this, looks gorgeous. Simple but stunning scheme, torn between the green and silver as to which I prefer, bet they look great together?

I like the look of the fort without turrets, adds to its flowing lines

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

As always, very impressive Fort Tony............. correct me if I am wrong but to my eye it seemed to have had a highly polished metal finish.

Nonetheless, a silver B 17 in roundels always looks great............

BTW, you certainly hit the ground running in the new year......................... just as you ended 2015! ...........well done and keep it up mate. :thumbsup:

Cheers.

Fort%201-001%20Fin%202.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Neil,

Thats praise indeed coming from the king of 4 engined bomber models,......ta mate! I cannot decide which one I like best either. Jim Bates in Canada is making a model of one of the silver Forts with a solid nose and faired in tail.

As always, very impressive Fort Tony............. correct me if I am wrong but to my eye it seemed to have had a highly polished metal finish.
Nonetheless, a silver B 17 in roundels always looks great............
BTW, you certainly hit the ground running in the new year......................... just as you ended 2015! ...........well done and keep it up mate. :thumbsup:
Cheers.
Fort%201-001%20Fin%202.jpg

Hiya Etienne,

Thanks for the pic and glad you like the model. This pic is one of those that I`ll be using in the article that I`m writing about this subject for Model Aircraft magazine. In this photo it has the later faired in tail and it probably has a solid nose too. In the reference pics that I used when it had the earlier tail and glazed nose it is a bit duller and well used,.....after the mods it must have received a good polish and brush up.

Cheers

Tony

Very nice as always Tony! I don't think I've seen a NMF RAF B.17 or was it high speed silver?

John

Cheers John,

No it was natural metal mate. RAF Coastal Command also flew some natural metal B-17G`s from the Azores and Iceland during 1944-45,.....and some of these continued in post war service at Farnborough. The Coastal ones wore black codes and initially carried full armament including chin turrets, but the mid upper was removed later. Can you guess what I have planned for a future model?

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Cheers John,

No it was natural metal mate. RAF Coastal Command also flew some natural metal B-17G`s from the Azores and Iceland during 1944-45,.....and some of these continued in post war service at Farnborough. The Coastal ones wore black codes and initially carried full armament including chin turrets, but the mid upper was removed later. Can you guess what I have planned for a future model?

All the best

Tony

No idea Tony? an F.16? :) It must have been an absolute nightmare for corrosion unprotected Aluminium and salt water! But I guess it was war time so a different world. It's always a pleasure to see you models Tony your next B.17 sounds like a winner

John

Thanks again everybody,

John- I don`t suppose airframes lasted long enough to suffer corrosion during WW2? My Grandad served in the RAF in Iceland during WW2 so as well as the Coastal B-17G Fortress Mk.III , I`m intending on building a Coastal Command Fortress Mk.II as well,......so many B-17`s,....so little room to display them all!

Nice one Tony. Can I ask if you fixed the too much dihedral problem on the Academy forts and if so how did you do it?

Cheers,

Joe

Yes I had a go at fixing the dihedral problem by adding plastic card wedges along the top of the wing inside the gap between the wing and fuselage. I`ve done a full photo build of the first model and hopefully it will appear in Model Aircraft magazine at some stage.

Cheers

Tony

Nice to see something a bit different.

Great work as always Tony.

After these you must be getting FAA withdrawal symptoms :whistle:

Dick

• Like 1

Just seeing this now.  Impressive work, Tony!  Really shows to full effect the attractive lines of the B-17F.  I use an airbrush, but much enthusiastic talk about rattle-can Tamiya silver, with its resistance to lifting, makes me think more about giving it a try.  Best wishes, Alex

• Like 1

Crikey thanks folks,... glad you like it,...... I thought this thread was consigned to the dark corners of BM by now!

Cheers

Tony