Airfix P-51D Mustang 368FS, 359FG East Wretham, Norfolk, 1944

I've just finished my first completed build of the year... it's the Airfix P-51D (from the starter set, with the markings from the Revell P-51D)

I built this just to keep my mojo ticking over while I had my arm in a plaster cast following a cycling accident - this was my second attempt as I ruined the first through clumsiness and a general lack of dexterity, but the kits were on sale at Aldi just after Christmas for £3.99 each so my poor workmanship didn't cost me too much.

I chose the markings as I got the Revell kit cheaply - the same price as the Airfix ones, but nowhere near as good value; but it added just enough on an online order to make it post-free which actually saved me a tiny amount of money. I wanted these markings anyway as I was sure it would amuse our forum-peer "Cookie" Cookenbacher :D

It's a nice kit, though some of the sprue attachment points made removal of the smaller parts... hmm, a bit challenging is perhaps the politest way of putting it. Anyway I got it finished and I had the cast removed from my arm on Thursday so hope to get back in business with a vengeance now... :lol:

Here is a picture of the real Cookie on LittleFriends - if you carry on clicking through there are four pictures of her along with her pilot Lt John Gordon and some of her ground crew.

Apologies for the excess chatter ,here she is:

DSCN4410.jpg

DSCN4411.jpg

DSCN4414.jpg

DSCN4415.jpg

DSCN4417.jpg

DSCN4419.jpg

Thanks for your attention gents :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 30

Hello,Stew - Wishing you a speedy recovery and full compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Mustang'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the clean patina.She is a resplendent tribute to the type. All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

So, the real Cookie emerges. Very cool Mustang Stew, and I have to say that I wholeheartedly approve of the marking choice - I wish I had known those transfers were out there!

Most of all, I'm glad that you're back to modelling again, and that you're definitely on the mend.

Now, a quick question: how did you go about the invasion stripes? Did you paint them over the NMF (Alclad?). What white paint did you use?

Again, the build looks great Stew.

• Like 1

... and he's back - yes!

Great build Stew and proof of the old adage "Stew Dapple? He can build models better than me with one arm tied behind his back..." :D

How's the arm / wrist now? What's next?

• Like 2

Terrific work Stew, far better with one arm than us mere mortals with 2 :goodjob:

:lol: Thanks Stu, I did have the use of both hands - well, the fingers on the left hand anyway - I was just a bit clumsy and limited in my movements...

Hello,Stew - Wishing you a speedy recovery and full compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Mustang'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the clean patina.She is a resplendent tribute to the type. All the best,Paul.

Thanks very much Paul :)

I agree, a fine representation of the Cadillac.

Thank you very much Gary :)

So, the real Cookie emerges. Very cool Mustang Stew, and I have to say that I wholeheartedly approve of the marking choice - I wish I had known those transfers were out there!

Most of all, I'm glad that you're back to modelling again, and that you're definitely on the mend.

Now, a quick question: how did you go about the invasion stripes? Did you paint them over the NMF (Alclad?). What white paint did you use?

Again, the build looks great Stew.

Thanks Cookie, I was getting a bit antsy doing nothing :D - the NMF is the new Vallejo Metal Color, I wanted to try it out (Duralumin and Dark Aluminium) and the white for the invasion stripes is some Citadel Ceramite White(?) from the Games Workshop thinned with a little water and brushed on in three thin coats. The black is my Near-Black mix of Vallejo Black and Vallejo German Grey 50/50, again thinned with water and brushed on in three coats.

... and he's back - yes!

Great build Stew and proof of the old adage "Stew Dapple? He can build models better than me with one arm tied behind his back..." :D

How's the arm / wrist now? What's next?

:lol: Thanks Ced, the right arm is much better, a bit stiff* on occasion but improving nicely, the left wrist and forearm is pathetically weak but appears to have healed well so as long as I do the prescribed exercises I should be back to relative normality soonish.

You are very skilled :).

It looking great!

Cheers

Thank you very much Paweł :D

Another nice build there.

Glyn

Thanks very much Glyn :)

Good work Stew. No clue to your temporary invalid status there.

Now, more importantly, how's the bike?

:lol: Thanks Col - the bike is in remarkably good nick as it had the good fortune to make a soft landing on top of me; a wee chunk out of one of the handlebar grips and a couple of the lights will need re-aligning but apart from that all good.

Thanks all,

Cheers,

Stew

* Insert "Fnaar" here, if required

• Like 3

Thanks Jim, good to hear from you too :)

Thanks KF; if you follow the link to the pictures of the real 'Cookie' you can see the transfer is a bit oversized, but I wasn't going to be able to paint it by hand so I went with what I had :D

Cheers,

Stew

Great to see you back at it stew, and really glad your healing!

Stang looks brilliant, love the finish and very nifty brush work! VM's metal range looks a good choice!

Good practice for the corsair GB?

Rob

• Like 1