Homer's Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR - Pre Season Testing/Long-Tail

Chassis 19R or 27R  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Chassis do you prefer and why

• Chassis 19R (The original black prototype with psychedelic graphics)
    • Chassis 27R (The Pre Season testing in McLaren colour Papaya Yellow)

Wow! Great finish on the paints, Homer!

And excellent carbon work too.

This has made me think twice about doing the Fina colours on my GTR. I may have to go Papaya from Gravity!

I may even use their Red Bull blue on the RB6. You should get a discount for showing their paints off so well!

Edited by injidup
  • Like 1

I've done the doors this morning just to see how the body will go. I probably applied a bit too thin to start with. You really have to give it a wet wet last coat so it levels out. I did get some very minor orange peel effect this time however it's still pretty good and should buff out easily :)

doors%20painted_zpstezxaq2r.jpg

doors%20painted%202_zps2lgn2w73.jpg

Just out of interest, as I haven't used such paints before, is one bottle enough to do one car at this scale? Likewise the top coat.

Yep easily will do a couple of cars with the base colour. It's the gloss coats that you tend to use a lot of from what I can tell so far.

• Like 1

I had another go at my clear coat system tonight with the engine cover and I must say it worked out AWESOME! I applied a slightly heavier misting initial coat, 5 mins, a wet second coat by applying a few passes of a medium spray, 5 mins, then about the same again for the third coat, about 5-8 passes of medium spray coats.

Done.

The seat with carbon fiber decal with a gloss coat. The door I did yesterday is beside it.

carbon%20seat_zpso4m5wwc8.jpg

The engine bay cover. The lights you see are the leds in my work light. It's beautifully smooth, no orange peel at all. I'll take some outdoor shots tomorrow. Black is SO hard to photograph!

engine%20cover_zpsza57glvo.jpg

engine%20cover%202_zpsf6ruaxf8.jpg

• Like 1

I've just ordered some paints from Gravity Colors. I mentioned this thread, Homer, as it's what lured me to buying their paints. He does offer tips for the clear coat. I'll post them here if you're OK with that?

I went for the McLaren Papaya Orange for my F1 GTR and some Titanium White for my Lotus Esprit.

• Like 1

Yes, our clear coat is really good. Very easy to use and you get fantastic results without going crazy with wet sanding and polishing.

The only thing I would add to that review that you should do heavy wet coats with the clear, don’t be afraid of it, it will level out nice and smooth. That’s one of the features I love about that clear coat that no matter how heavy you spray it on it will always level out to a beautiful smooth even finish. If you don’t spray enough you might end up with an uneven surface with some orange peel.

The best way to spray our clear coat is to spray a mist coat first, like a very fine tack coat that will give you a luster like surface. Let that dry for 5 minutes and you can do your heavy wet coats on top of that. That way the wet coat will have a nice “rough” surface to bite into and you will not have any runs. The mist coat will also protect your decals if you clear over them. Its safe, it has been tested many times..

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me!

Let me send you this link to our YouTube channel, we just uploaded some tutorial videos, more to come this week. These videos will show a full build of a model kit, and explain in detail how to use Gravity Colors products.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGBCxpXXBUfPIxcVMiDiyAg

• Like 2

I have to say I really do love the livery, when I was deciding what to do with mine I completely dismissed the standard kit decals but just wow the pink and yellow rely pop off the black Base.

Shaun

• Like 1

Look at that. A paint stand too.

I really am a cheap skate with my empty cans, blu-tak and newspaper haha.

Can't wait to see it with clear on. Maybe you'll have to take some wet shots when it's done to show the water beading haha.

Ashley

Shoe boxes. Excellent for keeping paint tins/bottles in!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates, Homer?

Also, how long did it take for your Gravity paints to get to Oz?

Yep a very small update.....The gravity paints took around 3 weeks from the USA. God I love them...so so good!

Progress has been a bit slow due work commitments (yes I have to work to eat, live and earn enough money to buy more models lol). I've finished the decals on the body, painted the roof scoop and engine cover, applied those decals and painted up and applied decals to the lower front door sections.
It is starting to look damn hot I must say! :thumbsup:
body%20decal%20done_zpsfn5hmkmb.jpg
body%20decal%20done2_zps8xgekb9r.jpg
body%20decal%20done3_zpsvyh3cf0b.jpg
Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 1

I understand about getting free time. I have to work plus have 2-year old twins, which has been quite time consuming! Especially as I'm over 50, and we have no family close by to help out. Mine are 10,000 miles away! I get the odd hour here and there, but find that at night my eyes are quite tired.

Also, I've started racing my car again this year so that's one Sunday morning a month taken up.

I have a JPS Lotus 72 to finish, then I hope to get started with the F1. Paint (orange) on its way, and I ordered some carbon fiber decals today from the other side of Oz.

Looking fwd to seeing the clear coat go on the body. Really enjoying following your progress.

Edited by injidup
  • Like 1

Also, I've started racing my car again this year so that's one Sunday morning a month taken up.

I have a JPS Lotus 72 to finish, then I hope to get started with the F1. Paint (orange) on its way, and I ordered some carbon fiber decals today from the other side of Oz.

Looking fwd to seeing the clear coat go on the body. Really enjoying following your progress.

I'm jealous you get to go racing! I've only ever tracked my car (Renaultsport Megane RS250) in Renault club meets where you can't really go flat chat (I do push the rules a bit though hehe).

The Lotus sounds gorgeous. I also have the Papaya Orange for my McLaren M8B.

Thanks for following, I'm enjoying the (slow) build :winkgrin:

I only do sprints, against the clock, so no wheel-to-wheel racing, but we can go as fast as we like! A great way to explore the limits of the car. And driver! A friend sprints his Megane RS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the Papaya Orange paint from Gravity, a couple of sheets of carbon decals (Hobby Design) and have ordered some acrylic paints and AK Interactive metal finishes, so my F1 GTR build will start soon. I won't do a WIP as it has all been covered here. This thread has given me inspiration!

I hope Homer has some time to work on this and give us an update! :winkgrin:

Edit: I've also ordered the Aoshima detail parts.

Edited by injidup
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Progress slow due work. I managed to do a bit more over yesterday and today. I finished off the carbon tub and gave it 3 coats of Gravity colors clear. The parts without the carbon decals will not be seen as the seat and dash will cover those parts.

Carbon%20tub%20gloss_zpsa90rj1hc.jpg

Carbon%20tub%20gloss2_zpsrid9wwl3.jpg

I also applied the carbon decal to the switch panel which goes on the right hand side foot well. I just need to wait for it to dry before applying the colours for all the switches. I also finished off the steering wheel and applied the carbon boss as well as painting the steering wheel frame and paddles, applying the buttons in their correct colours.

steering%20wheel_zpstkcqdgll.jpg

My cat chewed on the extinguisher before I applied the carbon decals, so now it looks a bit beat up with the carbon applied :lol: It's very hard to photograph and needs to be detailed yet with brackets etc to be painted once the clear coat has been applied.

Carbon%20extinguisher_zps7hwth1wh.jpg

The clutch and brake pedal have also been done.

pedals2_zps3iwnz7ls.jpg

Sorry for taking so long guys :) I'll crack on a bit more hopefully. :coolio:

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 1

Keep it coming!

Did you use any of the detail-up parts yet?

As a point of interest, I bought the orange car, but in the box are the decals for the black car. And a few carbon decals for the engine (airbox and cam covers) made by Scale Motorsport, a choice of two air scoops and two steering wheels. This kit really is light years ahead of the Fujimi road car (which I gave up on when it was 90% complete. :-(

Thanks for the tip on marking the seams on the body to help with sanding!

• Like 1

Keep it coming!

Did you use any of the detail-up parts yet?

Not yet, not that you can see in the pictures so far apart from the brake rotors which I don't think are really needed anyway, and the pedals.

As a point of interest, I bought the orange car, but in the box are the decals for the black car. And a few carbon decals for the engine (airbox and cam covers) made by Scale Motorsport, a choice of two air scoops and two steering wheels. This kit really is light years ahead of the Fujimi road car (which I gave up on when it was 90% complete. :-(

Thanks for the tip on marking the seams on the body to help with sanding!

Yep that's the same kit as this build. The Scale Motorsport decals are used on the engine. No worries on the tips, I'm just passing them on from other people who have shown me :thumbsup:

Edit: It looks awesome with the gloss on the carbon tub and some bits thrown together doesn't it :lol:

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 1