Homer's Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR - Pre Season Testing/Long-Tail

Chassis 19R or 27R  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which Chassis do you prefer and why

• Chassis 19R (The original black prototype with psychedelic graphics)
    • Chassis 27R (The Pre Season testing in McLaren colour Papaya Yellow)

Well I'm starting my build this week. I'm not sure which car to do, chassic 19R or 27R.

These are my choices. What do you think?

Mclaren%20F1_zpsvbea0gfy.jpg
EDIT: I think the Papaya Orange is a cracker colour :thumbsup2:
McLaren_F1_GTR.jpg
EDIT: I think the Papaya Orange is nice but I'm now thinking of building the Gloss black in the Pre Season livery that comes with the kit :whistle::D
McLF1_Top125_117_zpsa4ryzm1e.jpg
outside_zpstrcn0cxk.jpg
How about a nice hill climb at Goodwood festival of speed to get in the mood :yahoo::clap:
Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 3

Im going for the orange just because I think it looks better, but you cant got wrong with an f1, its just a cool car

Draz

Are you going with the full photo etch and carbon decal build or just the basic model here?

• Like 1

go with the black prototype version! Too many orange ones have been done :)

I shall sub to this topic mate

Yep I think I will go the black. I've just ordered the Anthracite Black form Gravity Paints. It should look stunning if I can get the paint right.

anthracite_black_label.jpg

Im going for the orange just because I think it looks better, but you cant got wrong with an f1, its just a cool car

Draz

It sure is a cool car!

Are you going with the full photo etch and carbon decal build or just the basic model here?

Yep full carbon and Photo etch.

10257860a.jpg

smssm1024_2_1433734151.jpg?v=1433734151

I'll be having a watch of this if that's ok. The orange looks nice but I really like the hippy sort of decals on the black one

Shaun

Please do! I hope you enjoy :D
Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 2

Quick bit of advice. I found the masks to be pretty crap, it may have just been my batch but might be something to watch out for

Shaun

Thanks Shaun,

What problems did you have with them? Any other fit issues? How did you know where the extra (optional) parts went as I can't find anything in the instructions!

They didn't seal very well on the first bit I painted, paint bled under alot even though I pushed it down as hard as I dared.

All the option bits with the instructions are more guess as you go, these instructions weren't drawn up for any other car bar the one on the box, in the Gulf version they have all the extra bits you need to do in the instructions.

I will dig out my other one of these kits later and message you on what bits go where as I can't recall the part numbers of the top of my head.

Fitment wise I found it to be fine, mine needed a little more force to fit the body on at the end but I can be sure if that was kit related or just because of the bits I added. The doors I have heard/seen don't fit very well when being made closed, they need a little bending or gluing down at the top to sit flush but other than that I can't praise this kit enough.

Shaun

• Like 1

I noticed you are using Gravity Paints. Is that a Zero paint alternative? Is it a good color match to the real paint? I am not familiar with the paint so curious

Yes they are an equivalent product. I can't get Zero paints here in Australia but Gravity paints will ship here from the USA.

I'm also curious as to how they will perform :)

Edited by Homerlovesbeer

Well I made a start on the kit today.

First some priming using Badgers Stynylez grey primer. OMG is is SO much better than the AK Interactive primer I struggled to use. :clap:

prime%20underbody_zpsorxm510x.jpg

Then painted with a mix of Mr Hobby black gloss (H2) and Mr hobby Steel (H18)

paint%20underbody_zpspzinqtub.jpg

I'm having a play with the brakes. I'm not using these as I'm waiting for the photo etch ones however I thought I'd see how these can come up out of the box. Primed below.

prime%20disc_zps2dk1uejz.jpg

Then painted with Mr Hobby Mr Metal Iron. Before and after polishing. This is such a cool product and very realistic! Next I'll detail the hub and caliper.

discs%20polished_zpsfdwmss7q.jpg

Then I tried my new AK Interactive Xtreme Metal paints. Very easy to use with an excellent finish. I primed, then painted the radiators with Aluminium then applied a pin wash using Tamiya Panel Liner to bring out the details. Before and after the wash below.

prime%20radiator_zpslprks8ns.jpg

I'm having great fun so far :lol:

• Like 2

G'Day again fellas,

I've done a little more tonight after work. I repaired the engine injector pin marks which would show once assembled. There were two of them, one on each side. I used Vallejo plastic putty applied with a tooth pic and then leveled with my hobby knife before it set, then sanded smooth.

engine%20injector%20pin_zpstuvcpwfo.jpg

Then engine has been assembled ready for priming. I've not glued the rocker covers on as they will be covered in carbon fibre.

engine_zpsr496hjrc.jpg

The discs are now finished. I've taken a couple of pics to show what they look like as well the the Mr Metal paints I used.

caliper_zpsujutresh.jpg

Mr%20Colour%20rotor_zpsz9qtcwrm.jpg

Till next time lads :beer:

• Like 2

I absolutely love the McLaren F1 and it seems Aoshima might be getting a bit of cash from me soon! Lovely detail on the brakes!

Just for some further inspiration, this was taken at the Geneva Motor Show last year on the McLaren stand. One of only a very small handful of road going F1 GTRs!

F1%20Longtail_zps8aqznwoq.jpg

• Like 1

Hi homer just got my other one out and the sprue with all the extra parts 13-1647-7 going down from the top 115 and 116 are the little flick ups that go just a ahead of the front wheels, 117 goes in the furthest foward middle opening at the front to narrow it, 118 and 119 are some forms of outlet that goes again just ahead of the front wheels if you look at the body you will notice in that area mould lines in a box shape, that needs to be cut out so 118 and 119 can fit in, in your picture of the orange car they are the black bits at the front.

And this is my under floor it's not pretty but it will never be seen

20160203_112017_zpsj8mxlzsv.jpg

hope this helps

Shaun

• Like 1

Hi homer just got my other one out and the sprue with all the extra parts 13-1647-7 going down from the top 115 and 116 are the little flick ups that go just a ahead of the front wheels, 117 goes in the furthest foward middle opening at the front to narrow it, 118 and 119 are some forms of outlet that goes again just ahead of the front wheels if you look at the body you will notice in that area mould lines in a box shape, that needs to be cut out so 118 and 119 can fit in, in your picture of the orange car they are the black bits at the front.

And this is my under floor it's not pretty but it will never be seen

hope this helps

Shaun

Very much so! Thanks. Yep I had a feeling quite a lot of the under floor was carbon. I spent ages googling f1 gtr underneath, repair, floor, service etc however pics of it in the air on a hoist just do not exist!

Could you do one of the front as well pretty please?

Any links to engine bay pics you may have?

Thanks Shaun, I really appreciate it.