Mk.1 85 Squadron - all done 28/03

specky

Hi Guys,

with Harrier in the paint shop and P-47 on hold waiting for a delivery of paint, I need to keep the momentum going and this looks interesting...

001_zpsublcosuu.jpg

Apologies in advance for stepping on any toes by duplicating a build - if I can locate alternate decals for a 'rag-wing', then its identity will be changed!

Cheers for now

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

for the sake of maintaining the WIP, here are a couple of rather boring shots of the initial painting stages.....

002_zpstczzatz9.jpg

001_zps9ofv3qyj.jpg

.....nothing that you wont see on every other build here!

This will be an oob build because I want to get to the painting stage. The box top illustration shows this aircraft in a rather scruffy state and I'm very keen to try and replicate that appearance.

Cheers for now

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

sorry, I've been really slack when it comes to updates on this, but I guess that's what happens when its a bit of a 'fill-in' project - no disrespect intended to Hurricane enthusiasts!

002_zpsyfhfz1lo.jpg

Ignore the green paint - that's just something to quickly check the joints and seams.

004_zpspy3opjvl.jpg

Rather more messing about than I would have expected was required to resolve a step at the wing to fuselage joint on the chin - but its all good now. Sink marks to be sorted on the tail plane fairings, fit-up a few odds and ends and it will be ready for some paint

Cheers for now

Craig

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I finally got my act together and finished the basic assembly....

001_zpslfa8fp2g.jpg

002_zpsvostiaco.jpg

....so its ready for some paint.

A search through my decal stash has failed to produce an alternative identity for a fabric wing aircraft, so its 'out of the box', which is a bit of a pain since it would have been so much easier to pre-paint the black and white area inside the radiator housing before fitting it :banghead:

Anyway, some white is on....

003_zpszbc4yijl.jpg

.... in this photo, the post shade looks a bit 'fierce' - but its just the rubbish lighting in my lounge - honest!

More to come soon.

Cheers for now

Craig

Hi guys,

so, after a ridiculous amount of time phaffing about masking around the air intake and radiator shroud, the most difficult part of this scheme is done....

002_zps0rktdnxv.jpg

....not the best photo ever, the lighting in the 'man-cave' makes it seem literally like a cave! In the 'flesh', more by luck than judgement, I've managed a nice balance of 'shade & fade' between the two colours so they look like they were painted at the same time and have faded to the same degree - result! :yahoo:

Assuming the temperature doesn't fall through the floor, as they are forecasting, looks like I could have to topside painted by the end of the weekend

Cheers for now

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 1

very nice work... looking forward to getting to start mine - am hoping next week depending on work & home

They are a nice build & I'm sure you will enjoy it, but my advice, for what its worth, don't forget to add the landing light transparency before fixing wings to fuselage :banghead: and do try thinning the wing trailing edges.

I'll sort my missing light with 'Glue'n'glaze' but for me, its too late to refine the wings. Have a look at Basilisk's build for suggestions on how to tackle it.

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

Good grief! Where has the last month gone?? Having managed to finish my first build of the year(!) over on the Starter Set GB, I'm keen to make the most of this new found burst of enthusiasm and finish this over the Bank Holiday.

Upper surface camo on..

001_zps1b50qgx9.jpg

003_zpscczt8yow.jpg

...needs tidying and a lot of weathering, but the end is in sight!

Cheers

Craig

• Like 1

Hi guys.

The paintwork has been thoroughly buffed with 'cheap as chips' paper hand towel, which puts enough of a shine on for the decals to settle and has removed just enough paint to create a nice 'worn' appearance, although it seems to be a little too subtle for the camera.

006_zpsogu867y2.jpg

005_zpsc5xeszm2.jpg

Once the decal solution has dried, a coat of Klear before bed and hit it tomorrow with the airbrush for some staining.

Cheers for now

Craig

• Like 1

Hi guys,

well, right on cue, another bloody spring storm turns-up, blowing straight at my garage door! So no airbrush today and it doesn't look good for tomorrow either, but this is on the finish straight now - final fitting-up and matt the decals

001_zpse0cvdnxn.jpg

002_zpsvcbd4n68.jpg

A couple of hours more

Craig

Hi guys.

Since there was no real improvement in the weather this morning, I brought the airbrush indoors to try and finish off but since I use cellulose thinner to clean up - that didn't go well! The smell after a slightly satin matt coat was a bit too much, even for me!

Although its still someway short of replicating the box-top art work, I've fitted it all up and I'm calling it done....

009_zpsdcrbkn5g.jpg

...with 3 other projects on the bench and my 2 most eagerly anticipated GB's of the year just around the corner, I have to accept that very few will actually end up as I'd intended!

Many thanks to the organisers for putting this one together and thanks to you for looking in.

Cheers for now

Craig

(more images in the gallery)

edited to replace a photo that had a smudge on the starboard wing and masking tape over landing lights! :banghead:

Edited by specky
  • Like 2