1/48 - Republic F-84F Thunderstreak (HobbyBoss plastic) by Encore Models - released

Homebee

• 4 weeks later...

Hannants have this kit showing in their future releases https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EC48006

The kit description says... ...The model kit is nicely rendered in grey plastic with finely engraved panel lines.

This is not the Monogram kit (unless it's been reworked), as that had raised lines, so the question is, whose plastic is it? The Kinetic or Hobby Boss kit?

Without that detailed description, including PE and resin for the cockpit, I would have guessed it could be the Heller kit. Encore has reboxed a lot of Heller stuff before. But that doesn't sound at all like either the Heller or Monogram kits.

Homebee, what was the evidence that suggested it would be the Monogram kit?

Edited by Work In Progress

According to the Hannants website...

Model includes extensive decal sheet to build one of the following versions;

USAF, assigned to the 91st FBS, 81st FBW at RAF Bentwaters 1958,

BAF, FU-52 assigned to No 3 Squadron, 2nd wing, Demo Aircraft Belgium 1965-1966. Pilot José Marette,

Bundesluftwaffe, JaBo 34, Germany 1966

BAF, FU-30 of No 1 Squadron, 2nd Wing Florennes Belgium 1970's.

Edited by Wez

Out now at $60USD - 1000 units only. In-box review of sorts here

Extras over the Hobbyboss kit look to be a resin seat/small pe fret and of course the decal sheet.

Order it by 28/2 from Squadron and you get a free hat :)

Edited by azzaob

Shipping and handling $75.00 !!!!!!

Yep, that was the quote I got to New Zealand too. Think I may get a HBoss kit, and use some stuff from one of my monogram kits on it: cockpit/seat etc.. Guess I am going to miss out on that cap. Disappointing for me as I have two of the Encore F-102 boxings and think they were quite good value with all the extras. But 135US is a bit rich for me.

Edited by azzaob

Mmm, I don't know what the UK price will be but I don't think it's a enough of a quantum leap over the HB kit to warrant a high price, also, the decal sheet shows the stripes for FU-52 as a dayglo orange, all the pictures I've seen show it at the redder end of the spectrum.

I too have the remains of a failed Monogram kit sooo....

There is a nice review by Tom Cleaver over on modeling madness and he gives some hints how to improve the HB kit with the use of parts from the old Revell/Monogram kit.

Link?

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

it's off one of those chocolate bars I think, I have some airline ones and some car ones too.

This thread has made me dig out my old Heller F-84F which I bought for two quid about 15 years ago and I think it's likely to make it to the top of the build stack, on sheer value terms if nothing else.

having built the Heller, Monogram, Kinetic/Italeri and Hobbyboss, it is a shame none of them is quite right. The HobbyBoss seems to have the dimensions for a late block machine pretty close but the cockpit, wheel wells and undercarriage are very poor, almost toy like and the brass etch airbrakes are hard to get to conform to the fuselage if you want to close them, even after annealing. The kit decals are not very good the colours are just plain wrong.

Just my two pen'orth for what its worth.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...