1/72 - Fairey Barracuda Mk.II/.III by Special Hobby - released - new Mk.III "ASW Mk.XI Radar" variant in May 2019

Homebee

And still only plain "day" TS scheme :(

Is it really THAT hard to find photos of night-flying B'cudas as used against the E-boats?

Cheers

Michael

In fifty years of reading magazines, books etc, I do not think I have ever seen a photo of a Barracuda marked for night operations. Going through my books etc, almost all the photos show them in TSS or the post war schemes. There might well be photos around, but they do not seem to be in the public domain

• Like 1

In fifty years of reading magazines, books etc, I do not think I have ever seen a photo of a Barracuda marked for night operations. Going through my books etc, almost all the photos show them in TSS or the post war schemes. There might well be photos around, but they do not seem to be in the public domain

That's true - I also do look for them for last 40 years or so ...

Cheers

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

CMK dedicated weapons sets in design for the soon to release ( http://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/fairey-barracuda-mk-ii-home-fleet.html?cur=1&force_sid=65cf53b6da9fe12cc34e6438f00b9913) Fairey Barracuda kit.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2016/07/protiponorkova-vyzbroj-pro-fairey.html

- ref. 7352 - antisubmarine bomb 250lb Mk.VIII

- ref. 7353 - antisubmarine bomb 500lb Mk.IV

- ref. 7354 - antisubmarine bomb 600lb Mk.I

SH72306%2BFairey%2BBarracuda.jpg

SH72306%2BAS%2BBomb.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another sprue.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2016/08/sh72306-barracuda-mkii-172-vylisek.html

Monday, 15 August 2016

SH72306 1/72 Barracuda Mk.II - small parts sprue

Today we have begun to pack the new Barracuda Mk.II model (cat.no. SH72306) which is expected in distribution in coming days. The very last item of this model kit waiting to be finished was the sprue containing some small and delicately rendered parts of the model. Now please take a look at the photos below and enjoy the detail levels, we are pretty confident that our toolmakers put on a very good show.

IMG_4706.JPG

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Nice. Still worth building the MPM barracuda, or should I shed it and get the SH instead?

Alex

From the last pic above, I'd say definitely shed it. That's what I'll be doing!

This looks to be in a totally different league, with boxed in wheel wells, radio operator's detail, weapons, choice of spinners, ASV radar in plastic not PE, etc etc etc. EXCITED!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whilst having a look at the new Xtradecal sheet on the Barracuda, there seems to be an irregularity with the first aircraft on the sheet. The aircraft " PM949 " is said to be a Barracuda Mk I, but information contained in the Warpaint Series No. 35 says that " PM949 " is a Barracuda Mk III. However on page 15 of this book there is a picture of " PM953" and a colour profile on page 17 of the same aircraft ( Barracuda Mk II ) with the same description. The markings on the Xtradecal sheet seems to be incorrect for PM949 as it should be PM953.

I wonder what the correct marking may or may not be as the references in the Warpaint book seem to differ from the details within the Xtracolour set X72267 !

On 12/5/2016 at 3:30 AM, stevehnz said:

Pretty nice & I'll almost certainly have one but it'd have been nice to see one of the post war high demarcation EDSG/Sky schemes. Like this & this.

Steve.

That HSS option is pretty cool, though.