F-80C Tip Tanks

ANovaScotian

Hey all

Soon I'm going to be building the Hobby Boss 1/48 F-80C Shooting Star as "Evil Eye Fleagle" with the big shark mouth as seen over Korea. The kit provides the "P-38 Style" and "Misawa" wing tip tanks as well as the P-51 looking underwing tanks.

The question I have is; did the F-80 have a third style of wing tip tank?

Looking I pictures I see tanks that are slimmer than the "P-38" style, but shorter than the "Misawa" style.

These are the "P-38" Style Tanks:

f80.jpg

These are the "Misawa" style tanks:

f80d-48-708-80fbs-8fg.jpg

And here are the ones in question:

49fbg-f-80-c-49-689.jpg

Could these be some sort of shortened version of the Misawa tanks?

If anyone could shed some light on this, I would be most appreciated.

Regards

ANS

Hi...now you're planning to build that kit, could you please address me about it....????? Is it as "unbuildable and faulty" as some people say? I really like the Shooting Star and have rescribed two Monogram kits, as well as converted a Hobbycraft T33, but wouldn't like to discard the Hobby Boss kit without a first hand oppinion...

Cheers.....

Hi...now you're planning to build that kit, could you please address me about it....????? Is it as "unbuildable and faulty" as some people say? I really like the Shooting Star and have rescribed two Monogram kits, as well as converted a Hobbycraft T33, but wouldn't like to discard the Hobby Boss kit without a first hand oppinion...

Cheers.....

The kit looks really nice... engraved panel lines, not too many rivets, cockpit and seat seem rather decent. My complaint with the kit is, I personally don't like front and rear split fuselages. Would it not be easier to mould the fuselage halves complete and just have a cut line for those who want things opened up?

Aside from that, the biggest fault that I see and have seen in reviews is that the intakes are more or less "wrong." If you look at pictures of the real P-80/F-80/T-33, the intakes are kind of a "D" shape looking head-on, whereas the Hobby Boss kit has them moulded as a shallow semi-circle. If that makes any sense. It does throw off the look of the aircraft, but I think that trying to fix it is going to be more trouble than its worth... especially as its going to be finished in bare metal.

With G.W.H. doing a new tool T-33, they might do a P/F-80 series as well... if so, those would definitely be worth waiting for. Here and now however, I would say the Hobby Boss kit is good enough. If the intakes bother you, maybe try and graft the front half of the Monogram kit on to the rear half of the Hobby Boss?

P.S. My other problem with Hobby Boss is their decals... I swear some kid with a crayon does some of their decal sheets. Even though the kit comes with the markings I want, I'm gonna have to print my own replacements.

Keep posted, I'll have an RFI when the kit is completed with my usual summary of the build.

Regards

ANS

I think I've got an Hasegawa P80 at home with those decals....It'sactually a reboxing of the old Monogram kit, and "Eagle Eye Fleagle" is one of the versions included.....if you want, I cand send you the decals. I'm not going to use them at all....

I think I've got an Hasegawa P80 at home with those decals....It'sactually a reboxing of the old Monogram kit, and "Eagle Eye Fleagle" is one of the versions included.....if you want, I cand send you the decals. I'm not going to use them at all....

Thanks Artie, but that's quite alright, I'll manage.

...maybe try and graft the front half of the Monogram kit on to the rear half of the Hobby Boss?

Good luck with that! There's a huge difference in fuselage depth between the two kits. Monogram is maybe just a hair over true diameter. Some comparison photos here.

bob

Edited by gingerbob