Perfect Plastic Putty - am I missing something?

pigsty

• 2 years later...

I bought one, used the applicator not even once, since the consistency won't allow the product to be squeezed con comfortably.

I had to squeeze directly from the tube a big chunk of paste in order to get to the low viscosity part in the back.

Now, a few months later, I just tried to use it, and the consistency is so thick that makes it a real pain to use.

The product itself is good, the applicator is useless or requires "maintenance", the shelf life is obviously too short.

Pity, as said, good stuff otherwise, that works really well for certain uses.

(I add that I have paint and putty that have had a very long life, and are still pretty much alive, I take good care of storing properly and capping tightly)

Late to the party, since comments are from 2016, but wanted to add another experience.

This is a strange one, I’ve had a well-used tube of it for over a year with no problems what so ever. Mine’s still nice and soft/toothpasty. I’m not using the applicator, like others on this thread I’m just using a cocktail stick to grab what I need.

Certainly a ‘Marmite’ product, useless in some situations, but I’ve found it invaluable in others. Well worth having in yer toolbox.

Mart

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Paul, noticed the Vallejo says water soluble while wet, does that mean when its dry it's not as the Deluxe stuff just dissolves when water hits it when dried

I applied it, it dried solid, rubbed it down, washed the resulting dust away with toothbrush and water to check on how it was looking and found the putty had gone with the water. all my careful work down the plughole.

It wont feather superfine, milliput is fantastic, the convenience of instant putty from a tube is too good to be true, back to the initial fiddling around resealing sausages, mixing up, cleaning fingers etc.

I now have some AK104 standard putty to try, being told it wont wash away yet will stick well and feather.

anyone tried this stuff yet ?

Merlin

Edited by Merlin

• 9 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 2:03 AM, Moa said:

I bought one, used the applicator not even once, since the consistency won't allow the product to be squeezed con comfortably.

I had to squeeze directly from the tube a big chunk of paste in order to get to the low viscosity part in the back.

Now, a few months later, I just tried to use it, and the consistency is so thick that makes it a real pain to use.

The product itself is good, the applicator is useless or requires "maintenance", the shelf life is obviously too short.

Pity, as said, good stuff otherwise, that works really well for certain uses.

(I add that I have paint and putty that have had a very long life, and are still pretty much alive, I take good care of storing properly and capping tightly)

Late to the party, since comments are from 2016, but wanted to add another experience.

As it's still water soluble even when dried, all you need to do is add some water into the tube, close it, give it a real good shake and leave it about an hour. This should sort it out. If still too thick repeat the exercise. Works every time. Honest

• Like 1

"the convenience of instant putty from a tube is too good to be true"

It exists. Get some Impa Finissage. It's the best stuff I've ever used. Squeeze out of the tube, apply with a square of thin plasticard, leave to dry, then sand with wet and dry or a sanding stick. Works everytime with no fuss. £4 for a big tube. You'll never use Milliput again...

I use to have a tube of automotive finishing putty. It was 1K, came in a tube, just squeezed some out, applied with one of those plastic tools used for mixing epoxy glue, dried hard overnight. I wasn't water soluble, the only thing that would shift it was lacquer thinner.

7 hours ago, 825 said:

As it's still water soluble even when dried, all you need to do is add some water into the tube, close it, give it a real good shake and leave it about an hour. This should sort it out. If still too thick repeat the exercise. Works every time. Honest

The solution for me was two-fold: get another tube, hoping that it was a newer batch (and thus not half-dried from the vendors' shelf) and it was, coming out like cream.

And then yes, mixing water in as needed.

Not ideal, but workable.

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2020 at 18:44, jimmyg352 said:

Iv'e looked at this thread with interest. Has anyone tried (or even dared to try) Holts Cataloy Knifing Putty?

Comes in a 100g tube for less that £5.00 on Amazon.  

Yes, I've tried it years ago. Similar principle to the Impa Finissage I posted above, only difference being the Holts is a totally rubbish product in my opinion. Never dries properly and comes off when you sand it..

I couldn't get on with (im)Perfect Putty - drying out problems and it crumbles if you scribe it. And I couldn't sand to an invisible edge. Milliput is good stuff. but can be tricky to scribe in my experience. CA glue can be excellent. and it does scribe well (though is hard on the scriber!). The biggest problem is it dries too hard if left too long. 

Currently my go to filler is old school - bits of spare sprue dissolved in Tamyia extra thin cement. Works really well, though you have to be careful working around transparencies. I think there's a lot to be said for using the same material as the one you are filling - it scribes and sands in exactly the same way, and paint goes on the same way. Apart from a sometimes longer drying time (depending on the mix) I haven't found a reason to use anything else  since I started using this.

Cheers,

Coli

• Like 3

It's true perfect plastic putty does not scribe and sand well, it's quite soft meaning it will not behave similar to the plastic surrounding it. Nor does it stick very well to the plastic, as there is no solvent in it.

As such I find it has very specific uses, but it excels at those. For instance a small gap between the canopy and the fuselage, filling this with normal putty and sanding it will scratch the canopy if you are not careful.  With PPP, you just slap it on, wait five minutes, wipe off the excess with a damp cloth and you're done. It works well for thin seems, like upper wing to fuselage gaps or elevators that are not quite a good fit. Larger gaps, or anything that needs to be 100% seamless, this is not the stuff for that.,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 29 January 2016 at 10:20 PM, fu_manchu said:

Same for me. I was sceptical as to how it would work. I now use a cocktail stick to apply, directly from the tube rather than the nozzle.

Me too. It is great for fine gaps but it has no strength so for my demanding filling you need to resrt to something more robust.

Martin