Frog 1/72 DH.60G Gipsy Moth +++ FINISHED +++

CliffB

My Vickers Mark E will be going to the paint shop shortly, so I thought it would be a good time to start another build.

I thought I would try to complete this Frog Gipsy Moth.

P1090390.jpg

As you can see, I've done a little to it already (a couple of years ago), mainly cleaning up the parts and starting to detail the cockpit. Hopefully less than 25% complete!

The model is destined for a small diorama entitled 'In Search of the Pharaohs' - inspired by Indiana Jones/The English Patient.

There's an element of Whiffery about the whole thing, but I did find out that Moth G-AAAI (note; the kit's Jason is G-AAAH), was exported to Egypt in August 1933 .... :hmmm:

Cliff

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A belated 'thank you' for your comments, Chris and Col :) .

With my Vickers tank now completed, I was able to devote some time yesterday to the Moth, my second build in this GB.

I managed to complete the detailing of the cockpits (Frog providing nothing more than one poorly shaped seat and a very unflattering repesentation of Amy Johnson!).

P1090444_zpsyxvho2fv.jpg

I'd added the structures to the fuselage walls pre-GB, but the bulkheads, IPs and seats were made yesterday from plastic card.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

I built this ages ago, (sadly now smashed in a house move). I replaced the engine with an Aeroclub Gypsy Major sliced-up and re-configured to return it to a 'vertical' Gypsy engine. It looked quite good behind a radically thinned kit cowling.

I must admit though, I thought you'd prefer to do a Paraguayan 'Chaco' machine...or have you already done one?!

Will

• Like 1

I must admit though, I thought you'd prefer to do a Paraguayan 'Chaco' machine...or have you already done one?!

Will

Thanks Will.

I have built the Paraguayan DH.60M (Metal Moth), but have yet to build their Gipsy.

P1090350_zpscztqs30z.jpg

The M was built from the recent 1/72 Amodel kit, which released one of the two Frog kits in my stash for this Egyptian project. Respect is due for your upgrade using the Gypsy Major - I'll be doing nothing as ambitious on this build :winkgrin: .

Cliff

• Like 4

I like the cockpit detailing. Very nice! :thumbsup:

:popcorn:

Thanks Stix - just realised though that I forgot to 'glaze' the instrument dials :doh: . Fortunately, not too noticeable!

Looking good so far.

These might be of use to you - My DH60 photos from Woburn

Did you get any further with the Fox?

Steve

Lovely photos again Steve. Thank you :)

The Fox was another casualty of my modelling freeze last year (along with this Gipsy, the S-61 and one other). I'm gradually getting them finished as GBs allow and I'm expecting the Fox to be top of my list at the next KUTA.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Some further progress to report, namely wings and things.

The first job was to fill some large ejector marks on the undersides of the two wings.

P1090445_zpsy4n0n7fw.jpg

Then assembling all the bits.

P1090450_zpsmvfvmgzj.jpg

The wings give away the age of the kit, having thick trailing edges, 'starved cow' rib detail and a coarse fabric finish. I've no appetite for trying to sort out these issues on this build, so will hope that a couple of coats of primer will smooth things out.

It's not all bad news though, as all the control surfaces are separately moulded which makes posing with deflection very easy (especially good in this case as the model will be in a diorama :) ).

You may just be able to see that I've added some PE control horns to the rudder and elevators (the ailerons are rod operated from underneath).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

So you're not folding the wings? :evil_laugh:

Steve

Not intentionally Steve (but the cats may have other ideas :winkgrin: ).

Nice work Cliff. Watching with interest as got one in stash. Was on e bay and not sure if it's Frog or Novo.

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve, I have/had both a Frog and a Novo version.

In fact, this build is actually an amalgamation of the best bits from both. Once you know, you can see the colour differences in the photo above. Lighter grey parts (e.g. fuselage and ailerons) are Frog; darker grey (e.g. lower wings) are Novo.

With my kits, the Novo version can be identified by the part numbers being marked on the sprue (my Frog version does not have these numbers). As you can see, I'll be using the Novo interplane struts.....

P1090451_zps40jnbfih.jpg

Cliff

A good couple of hours this morning, finishing off construction ahead of painting. First on was the undercarriage.

P1090453_zpsshejcmjy.jpg

Most Moths that you see nowadays have the later style of undercarriage, which incorporates an X-strut. 'Jason' however had the earlier, simpler arrangement and this is correctly provided in the kit. As my subject (G-AAAI), was a contemporary of 'Jason', I'm assuming that the earlier undecarriage is appropriate for it too! Interestingly, the box art erroneously shows 'Jason' with an X-strut undercarriage :smartass:

I then added stuff to the top of the plane, namely the cabane struts and a few easy details such as a fuel filler cap.

P1090452_zps6xa3xogd.jpg

During it's record breaking flight, Jason operated without an exhaust system (I believe to save weight), and therefore none is provided in the kit. So I've made one!

Hopefully I will get some paint on this evening (primer, at least).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 3

Nice work Cliff. This one is taking on her beautiful shape well.

Thanks Col.

I personally much prefer the look of these straight-winged Moths to the later Tigers! :coolio:

• Like 1

Nice work so far with this oldie. But I should point out that the main wing struts are actually between ribs and not on the ribs as per the kit. The holes/locations need to be outwards from where they are. Check photos on the web where there are many that show what I mean for more accuracy. The 1/48th kit by A Model has the same fault and is one of my stalled builds.

• Like 1

Nice work so far with this oldie. But I should point out that the main wing struts are actually between ribs and not on the ribs as per the kit. The holes/locations need to be outwards from where they are. Check photos on the web where there are many that show what I mean for more accuracy. The 1/48th kit by A Model has the same fault and is one of my stalled builds.

Thanks for the heads-up on the strut issue Paul - I was unaware of this. Unfortunately your post was made about 12 hours after I'd finished painting :winkgrin: !

No matter though, as visually the distance between the port and starboard sets of struts looks fine to me (and measures up to within 1mm of that shown on some 1/72 plans that I have). Maybe the issue is with the rib positions? I will look into this in more detail on my next Moth build (I have two more planned). Thanks again.

This afternoon I started to put on some decals and am now exactly half way through the task.

P1090456_zpsljjcnalc.jpg

As you can see, the G-AAAI that I have been refering to previously has now become SU-ABK - as it did in fact in real life, on arrival in Egypt back in 1933. I don't know for sure what colour it was, but most likely it was repainted in all over aluminium, as was common practice at the time for aircraft operating in hot climates (I have no idea what colour G-AAAI was originally... )

It's all looking very shiny at the moment, but will be dulled down in due course using a satin coat.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

A quick update.....

P1090459_zpsaulmhjwh.jpg

The paintwork now has a satin varnish overcoat and various small bits have been added, as you can see. The prop is only on loosely and needs a gloss coat.

Otherwise, all that remains now is to add the top wing/struts and then rigging. Should hopefully be finished this weekend :)

Cliff

• Like 3

I finally found some quiet time this afternoon, so managed to get the rigging etc finished :yahoo:

P1090469_zpslqz3gfai.jpg,

As usual, there will be a few more photographs in the Gallery.

As I mentioned, the Moth is going into a diorama which, if things go to plan, will be on the Diaerama table at the Cosford show (Hangar 1). The theme this year is civil aviation, so please do swing by if you get a chance :)

This will be my last build for this GB, but I'll continue to follow all your projects to their wonderful conclusions!

Thanks again to Shermaniac and Col for hosting this fascinating GB and to all of you for your support.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 10