Land mines

cocky05d

I doubt landmines were put under cobbles. The weight of a cobble alone would set it off.

It would also take a great deal of work to place it and make the road surface normal looking again.

In urban areas mines were usually put under or behind things as booby-traps

Hi ,thanks for the info ,one of the many ,many things i have on the go are some dios ,one is of a Tamiya Cromwell tank held up at the Mini art farm entrance with wall ,with the Miniart Royal Engineers mine detectors in front of the tank ,i have the Miniart farm wall diorama kit ,it comes with a cobbled rd ,wondering which kit to use .

Be so much simpler to explain in a photo .

To go off topic ,do any of you think you have got too many models on the go ?.

Not sure cobbles would set off an Antitank mine, anti-personnel, sure, but I'm pretty sure the pressure of a cobble set would be too low to set off, for example, a German Tellermine. Not sure I'd want to tread on a telermine laid under a cobble mind you!

Laying the mine under a low pile of hay/dung/rubbish/rubble on the other hand would be just as effective.

Too many projects? Absolutely!

• Like 1

Into 1.35 tanks and stuff at the moment ,finishing off

2 Tamiya Churchills ,to be in dioramas ,one in a winter scene ,with miniart winter tank crew .the other with miniart norman street

1 Tamiya Cromwell .

1 Italeri M36 Jackson .

1 Tamiya M5 light tank .

1 tamiya Krupp Protze

1 Zvezda KV1

1 Zvezda SU152 ,to be used in a diorama with a SU152 i made ages ago ,with Tamiya Russian tank riders .

Plus got loads of stuff ready to be primed and aircraft that need insides painting before i can go any further .

Think i will give up model making and take up some thing less stressful .

Chainsaw jugggling comes to mind.

Having laid block paving, and having a dad that was a wizard with cobbling when he was working (St. Mary's Hill in Chester as point of reference), I wouldn't fancy the job of banging the cobbles back in after laying the mine! :boom:

• Like 2

IF someone were to have laid a mine under a cobbled street, I would have thought it easiest to lift a few cobbles, dig a recess for the mine, place the mine in the hole and replace all the cobbles except the one directly over the pressure pad... and just cover that one up with loose soil or a false cobble made from wood etc. But then the chances are that such a mine would be set off by local residents, foot soldiers, stray cats and dogs, the milkman, postman, Dial-a-ride taxis, or an all singing all dancing baton twirling band.

Badder.

Edited by Badder
  • Like 2

IF someone were to have laid a mine under a cobbled street, I would have thought it easiest to lift a few cobbles, dig a recess for the mine, place the mine in the hole and replace all the cobbles except the one directly over the pressure pad... and just cover that one up with loose soil or a false cobble made from wood etc. But then the chances are that such a mine would be set off by local residents, foot soldiers, stray cats and dogs, the milkman, postman, Dial-a-ride taxis, or an all singing all dancing baton twirling band.

Badder.

Sounds like a result!

Having laid block paving, and having a dad that was a wizard with cobbling when he was working (St. Mary's Hill in Chester as point of reference), I wouldn't fancy the job of banging the cobbles back in after laying the mine! :boom:

Sudden thoughts of a chicken in a minefield spring to mind!

Mines were also laid out in the open, very easy to spot in an effort to force enemy forces in a particular direction for ambush etc. Not that this really help your diorama!

..... and they'd even fence them off and stick big notices up saying 'danger mine field!' for the same reason, then probably only plant one or two mines per hectare.