This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Homebee

1/72 - Yakovlev Yak-1 & Yak-1b by Brengun - Yak-1 & Yak-1b released

Yes!!! YesyesyesyesYESSSS!!! At last!!! It looks great, and as can be seen from the sprue images, this kit owes almost nothing to the Brengun Yak-1 kit from a few years ago. In other words, it;s not just an adaptation - for example, the wing structure is completely new, and gone are the photoetch fuel tank cover panels on the underside of the wings. The Yak-1 kit was good; the Yak-1b is even better. Thank you, Brengun!

John

That is very interesting news indeed!

I hope these kits will be available @ ModelBrno in June.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, John Thompson said:

The Yak-1 kit was good; the Yak-1b is even better. Thank you, Brengun!

One thing I did notice is that the spine of their "hump-back" Yak-1 has a bit of a squarish section at the top of the back fuselage:

Looking at the photos, the top of spine shows no "angle" here (look at the rear edge of the canopy and its shape)

47964149878_21b67b5372_o.jpg47964149863_c38028ece5.jpg

Also, I believe this detail around the spinner is a bit over-exaggerated:

47964175781_5660dbf7a1_o.jpg47964175776_787a46806b_o.jpg

However, these are only minor nit-picks - nothing a few passes with a finer sand-paper couldn't fix :)

Regards,

Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk

Yes, thanks, Aleksandar - points well taken. I never said it was perfect; however, it's a lot easier to assemble than the Amodel Yak-1 and much more finely detailed. I'm just feeling celebratory because Brengun has finally blessed us with a modern, accurate 1/72 Yak-1b, and we no longer have to struggle with the ZTS/Mikro72 kit. I'd refer you to my groupbuild assault on that kit from a couple of years ago, but I think all the image links in it are dead due to problems at PostImage, and I haven't attempted to revive them yet!

John

Posted (edited)

Header image from Brengun's Facebook home page, which implies that the Yak-1b kit will debut in finished form at this weekend's Modellbrno show:

brengun-yak-1b-3-jpg.jpg

It appears that the aircraft in the illustration has the triangular air intake in the port wing root, so the illustration shows a very early Yak-1b.

John

Edited by John Thompson

On 6/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, John Thompson said:

Header image from Brengun's Facebook home page, which implies that the Yak-1b kit will debut in finished form at this weekend's Modellbrno show:

It appears that the aircraft in the illustration has the triangular air intake in the port wing root, so the illustration shows a very early Yak-1b.

John

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge of the Yak-1 versions but it also has the bump on the cowling over the UBS, wasn't that added slightly later, meaningi it's not a very early 1b? Was there  a point were the bump was added and they still had the early intake? I wonder if the kit has an insert for the intake and either can be fitted?

16 hours ago, Tbolt said:

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge of the Yak-1 versions but it also has the bump on the cowling over the UBS, wasn't that added slightly later, meaningi it's not a very early 1b? Was there  a point were the bump was added and they still had the early intake? I wonder if the kit has an insert for the intake and either can be fitted?

It's an interesting point and you may be right; if so, my mistake for over-enthusiasm! I could blame the lack of detailed English-language references, although maybe I just haven't dug hard enough.

The sprue images appear to show only one intake (the round one) although I suppose the earlier triangular one could be part of the resin that might accompany the kit; so far. all I've seen is the styrene parts.

John

17 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

It's an interesting point and you may be right; if so, my mistake for over-enthusiasm! I could blame the lack of detailed English-language references, although maybe I just haven't dug hard enough.

The sprue images appear to show only one intake (the round one) although I suppose the earlier triangular one could be part of the resin that might accompany the kit; so far. all I've seen is the styrene parts.

John

Yes it could just be that the art work is incorrect.