1/72 - Yakovlev Yak-1 & Yak-1b by Brengun - Yak-1 & Yak-1b released - new Yak-1b boxing

Homebee

Yes!!! YesyesyesyesYESSSS!!! At last!!! It looks great, and as can be seen from the sprue images, this kit owes almost nothing to the Brengun Yak-1 kit from a few years ago. In other words, it;s not just an adaptation - for example, the wing structure is completely new, and gone are the photoetch fuel tank cover panels on the underside of the wings. The Yak-1 kit was good; the Yak-1b is even better. Thank you, Brengun!

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, John Thompson said:

The Yak-1 kit was good; the Yak-1b is even better. Thank you, Brengun!

One thing I did notice is that the spine of their "hump-back" Yak-1 has a bit of a squarish section at the top of the back fuselage:

Looking at the photos, the top of spine shows no "angle" here (look at the rear edge of the canopy and its shape)

47964149878_21b67b5372_o.jpg47964149863_c38028ece5.jpg

Also, I believe this detail around the spinner is a bit over-exaggerated:

47964175781_5660dbf7a1_o.jpg47964175776_787a46806b_o.jpg

However, these are only minor nit-picks - nothing a few passes with a finer sand-paper couldn't fix :)

Regards,

Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 2

Yes, thanks, Aleksandar - points well taken. I never said it was perfect; however, it's a lot easier to assemble than the Amodel Yak-1 and much more finely detailed. I'm just feeling celebratory because Brengun has finally blessed us with a modern, accurate 1/72 Yak-1b, and we no longer have to struggle with the ZTS/Mikro72 kit. I'd refer you to my groupbuild assault on that kit from a couple of years ago, but I think all the image links in it are dead due to problems at PostImage, and I haven't attempted to revive them yet!

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Header image from Brengun's Facebook home page, which implies that the Yak-1b kit will debut in finished form at this weekend's Modellbrno show:

brengun-yak-1b-3-jpg.jpg

It appears that the aircraft in the illustration has the triangular air intake in the port wing root, so the illustration shows a very early Yak-1b.

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2019 at 4:50 PM, John Thompson said:

Header image from Brengun's Facebook home page, which implies that the Yak-1b kit will debut in finished form at this weekend's Modellbrno show:

It appears that the aircraft in the illustration has the triangular air intake in the port wing root, so the illustration shows a very early Yak-1b.

John

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge of the Yak-1 versions but it also has the bump on the cowling over the UBS, wasn't that added slightly later, meaningi it's not a very early 1b? Was there  a point were the bump was added and they still had the early intake? I wonder if the kit has an insert for the intake and either can be fitted?

16 hours ago, Tbolt said:

You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge of the Yak-1 versions but it also has the bump on the cowling over the UBS, wasn't that added slightly later, meaningi it's not a very early 1b? Was there  a point were the bump was added and they still had the early intake? I wonder if the kit has an insert for the intake and either can be fitted?

It's an interesting point and you may be right; if so, my mistake for over-enthusiasm! I could blame the lack of detailed English-language references, although maybe I just haven't dug hard enough.

The sprue images appear to show only one intake (the round one) although I suppose the earlier triangular one could be part of the resin that might accompany the kit; so far. all I've seen is the styrene parts.

John

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

It's an interesting point and you may be right; if so, my mistake for over-enthusiasm! I could blame the lack of detailed English-language references, although maybe I just haven't dug hard enough.

The sprue images appear to show only one intake (the round one) although I suppose the earlier triangular one could be part of the resin that might accompany the kit; so far. all I've seen is the styrene parts.

John

Yes it could just be that the art work is incorrect.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've received the Brengun Yak-1b (four of them, to be honest). It's a beautiful, well-detailed kit, very accurate in appearance! On opening the box, my first thought was Tamiya quality regarding the very fine detail on the small parts like landing gear. Panel lines are finely done. I like the way the wing is assembled - it's designed in such a way that you don't have to do anything to get very sharp trailing edges, since they're molded that way. You don't have to sandwich the upper and lower surfaces together, so there's no need for bothersome sanding to get the edge thinned down. The canopy is three parts, but with a bit of care and some clear adhesive, it can be assembled quite neatly, and almost looks like a vacuform. Speaking of which, word has it that Brengun will probably be releasing their own vac. canopy and photoetch, as they did on the earlier Yak-1 kit. All in all, I love it! I fully intend to order at least two more, as soon as the AMT-11/AMT-12 camouflage version is released.

it was mentioned elsewhere (72nd Aircraft forum) that someone as yet unidentified is working on a new Yak-1/-1b decal sheet to go with the new kit.

John

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John Thompson said:

it was mentioned elsewhere (72nd Aircraft forum) that someone as yet unidentified is working on a new Yak-1/-1b decal sheet to go with the new kit.

John

My guess is, that it will come from Begemot, as they've released Yak-3 and Yak-7 decal sheets already?

8 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

My guess is, that it will come from Begemot, as they've released Yak-3 and Yak-7 decal sheets already?

Could be, although when I asked Andrey Kotkov about it a year or so ago when the Brengun Yak-1b first appeared at Spielwarenmesse, he said, "Maybe, but not soon". But that was a year ago; maybe the time has arrived!

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dedicated sets by Brengun

- ref. BRL72194 - Yak-1b detailing PE set

Source: http://www.hauler.cz/cs-cz/e-shop/1-72-doplnky-21/yak-1b-(brengun-kit)-1663

BRL72194.jpg

- ref.  BRL72201 - Yak-1b Vacu Canopy 

Source: http://www.hauler.cz/cs-cz/e-shop/1-72-doplnky-21/yak-1b-vacu-canopy-(brengun-kit)-1670

BRL72201-1.jpg

V.P.

• 4 weeks later...

Why buy the Brengun kit when you can buy the Arma kit? I was gonna buy the Brengun kit but my apprehension told me to wait, and rightfully so. Of course if needing an early Yak-1 razorback kit, Brengun is for the time being the solution. The Arma kit is also cheaper since there is also a basic version being offered;-) 

On 12/20/2019 at 5:44 PM, top turret toddler said:

Why buy the Brengun kit when you can buy the Arma kit? 

Hi,

It depends on the  preferences. For me wing planform accuracy is the main reason to go to the Brengun kit. Arma doesn't look right and after checking it with an original factory document I'm confident about this.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Typo

On 12/21/2019 at 11:10 PM, AaCee26 said:

Hi,

It depends on the  preferences. For me wing planform accuracy is the main reason to go to the Brengun kit. Arma doesn't look right and after checking it with an original factory document I'm confident about this.

Cheers,

AaCee

Wing planform accuracy? What is factory documents? Please explain what you mean.

Although the question is not for me - Just my two pence worth:

I have not compared the kits to the drawings yet, but it looks to me that the Arma's wingtips are slightly too "pointy" and do look a bit strange. Possibly fixable and possibly even without major efforts, but careful comparison to the drawings is required.

The stabilizers in the Arma kit on the sprue  look 1.5 mm too big in span each compared to BrenGun's, but the same in span compared to A-Model's Yak-1. One should look at the attachment points which protrudes much more at Arma kit than either of the kits, very little at A-model and about 0.7 mm more at BrenGun.  

I believe, there might be an issue with Arma's stabilizers, but it can only be confirmed after the kit is put together and again fixing it should not pose more than 5 minutes of work.

Where BrenGun beats Arma hands down is the replication of the fabric surfaces. Everywhere.

On the other hand the quality of moldings is somewhat better in Arma's kit. The PE sets are not great in either of the kits, but  better in Arma, however you have to pay extra for "Expert" boxing. 

Neither of the kits is perfect, and neither has the irreparable faults (at least from the first glance).  As one can guess - I bought both of the kits with intention to build both of them, and my preference is for the BrenGun. But I would easily buy another Arma kit if I can find it cheaply....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, top turret toddler said:

Wing planform accuracy? What is factory documents? Please explain what you mean.

Hi TTT,

Wing of the kit starts to taper too early towards the tip making it too pointy. Drawing I refer is from a Russian book of Yak-7 (I don't have the Yak-1 one), which have the same basic shape of the wing: but different landing gear well and possible details:

spacer.png

I hope this explains what I mean. I think that another drawing with dimencions can be found from one of the Kagero's Yak-1 books but I dont' have it in hand at the moment.

As a kit I believe Arma is better detailed than the Brengun one so it is sad that there is such a problem for those who cares about accuracy.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1