1/72 - Yakovlev Yak-1 & Yak-1b by Brengun - Yak-1 & Yak-1b released - new Yak-1b boxing

Homebee

Yakovlev Yak-1 in 1/72nd scale, already announced.

Excellent news - thank you, Marko! I was just starting to build the Amodel Yak-1; I think I'll put it aside for now and wait to see what the Brengun kit looks like.

John

Link doesn't work, but there's a pic on the Brengun FB page that possibly has it on one of the shelves at Nurnburg.

Thanks, Charlie - I checked, and you're right. The Yak-1 is displayed near the Spitfire floatplane on one of the shelves, and has a sign which reads, "Coming soon". Not soon enough for me! :yahoo:

John

• Like 1

Thank you for that, VP! I usually edit out images in my replies, but this one is too awesome to delete - I love it! I'll take half a dozen!!! :thumbsup:

John

Source: http://www.detailscaleview.com/2016/02/plus-model-and-brengun-stand-on.html

(...) First of all, we take a look at the products from Brengun. On the photo above, you can see 1/35 kit that might come handy in dioramas.

_MG_7606.JPG

Next is small Yak-1 in 1/72 scale. This is new-tooled kit, which should be available very soon.

_MG_7614.JPG

As you can see on the render, manufacturer plans to release several versions of the famous Soviet Aircraft.

_MG_7615.JPG

Note that there are PE parts used for landing gear covers as well as some external elements. Maybe those will also be used in the cockpit.µ

_MG_7616.JPG

(...)

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

It seems to me the top of the front fuselage between windscreen and spinner looks too flat on the test build. Its sides are also too angular - the shape on the box art looks more accurate.

Marko, Marko, Marko - I say just bring it on! It's got to be an easier build than the Amodel kit (although I really like the Amodel kit anyway). I'm already preparing to buy 3 or 4 of the Brengun one, assuming it's not crazy expensive.

John

• Like 1

I wonder if the canopy fits as "well" as it does on their car-door Typhoon?

Dunno; I'm embarrassed to say this, but for me, the question is moot - by "preparing", in my previous post, one of the things I meant was that I had already laid in a supply of Pavla Yak-1 vacuformed canopies, necessary or not. This is by no means a prejudgement of the Brengun kit - I just like to burn money on accessories. If the "smileys" bar hadn't gone greyed-out on me (again, nor does the message text-entry box format properly, again), I'd be putting in some kind of "embarrassed" thingy right here...

John

Marko, Marko, Marko - I say just bring it on! It's got to be an easier build than the Amodel kit (although I really like the Amodel kit anyway). I'm already preparing to buy 3 or 4 of the Brengun one, assuming it's not crazy expensive.

John

I also like the Amodel kit a lot, but I found one strange thing with it. I compared it with Zvezda's snap-fit Yak-3 (which I consider very accurate shapewise) in terms of width. Their width should be the same because Yak-3 was derived from Yak-1 and used very similar engine. However, I found out that Amodel's kit has wider fuselage, which is not by a fraction, but a lot and is clearly visible without any measuring. That said, one of these kits can't be right, and I put my bet on Amodel one. I was hoping for Brengun's release to correct this issue, but the shape of their fuselage let me disappointed.

While it's unfair to comment on the accuracy of a kit which is still several months away from release, my curiosity was aroused by your comments regarding the Amodel Yak-1 and the Zvezda Yak-3. I know the pitfalls of trusting scale drawings too much, but I believe the ones done by Zbigniew Luranc in Skrzydla magazine are the most accurate available, having been done using measurements from actual aircraft. In both of his drawings (Yak-1M and Yak-3), the fuselage width at the windscreen frame is exactly the same. However, when I compare the Amodel and Zvezda fuselages to this dimension, I find that the Amodel fuselage is perhaps 0.5mm thinner, and the Zvezda fuselage even more so - about 1.0mm. So, according to these drawings, neither kit is quite fat enough! Do I take this seriously? No, I don't! I'll still build both kits, and be quite happy with them. And, while I expect to be extremely happy with the Brengun Yak-1, I wouldn't make any critical judgements of it until I actually have one (or three or four) of them in hand!

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything new about this kit? I'm guessing that it's almost ready for release, but guessing (and wishing) is all I'm doing - does anyone have real information? :waiting:

John