1/144 CRJ-100

Hello,

Started my excellent BPK CRJ-100 recently, before I knew it I had the wings on and was ready to address the seams! The fit is really good and the option for using the clear parts is very smart thinking from this manufacturer. As evident in the pics I wont be using the clear approach as window decals etc. are just fine with me in this scale.

I usually would clean up the seams on the fuselage before attaching the wings, but I was having so much fun I just said the heck with it and started gluing parts. So there is a bit more work to do before paint.

Here are some shots.

24687587075_0d47c0dd60_c.jpgFullSizeRender by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

24060758243_f787bda589_c.jpgIMG_2906 by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

24060757303_5d9bf2abf4_c.jpgFullSizeRender (1) by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Ryan

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, thanks for asking Victorlas and Ray!

Sorry to say not much has been happening with the CRJ, Iv'e been working on a magazine build, a E-170. (teaser pic below, sorry i cant show more :weep:! ) I will be working on the CRJ very soon and will post progress.

27248974280_dcf1c9f6c3_c.jpgE-Jet Engines by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Ryan

• Like 3

Thanks,

I try and use Tamiya acrylic whenever possible thinned 50/50. The metallics are Alclad and the fan wash is "The Detailer", a cough syrup like liquid that dries glossy....so you will need to seal it with a flat or semi gloss. I'll use the same technique on the CRJ and will detail it further.

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 2

Hello all,

Got a new camera and am working out the kinks so there might be a little more pics than needed for this update!

Ok disclaimer out of the way, I managed to get the engines assembled and glued on. They fit very well although you will need to take care that they are parallel to the fuselage. It probably was a case of over clean up on the pylons on my part, but they seemed to attached at a slight angle away form the fuse. Once the glue started setting, it was an easy task to pull them into alignment.

The clear side panels are also attached and blended in. By the next update I'll re scribe some lost detail and get the seams cleaned up.

27014126843_633223f7c9_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

27013169724_986cf6ab46_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

27014142193_b5b9515f84_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

27345950270_f3e91975da_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

27550181601_0cf9f1927a_c.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Well that's about it, still need to work on the shots with the new set up, they aren't as sharp as I had hoped.

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 3

Work continues slowly, I'm at the filling seams and restoring detail lost during construction phase....the one modeling chore I dread the most. :)

The fit of the kit is very well so it won't take long to get in shape for paint. On the belly of the jet the wing box is blended into the fuselage with fairings. The fairings are depicted however there are no panel lines to define the edges of these structures.

I created a template to out line the fairing with plasticard....just eyeballed the shape and cut it out. To achieve symmetry, I only made 1/2 of the template. After taping the template down I just followed the edge with my scribing tool, when done I flipped it over and did the other side.

I left the sanding dust in the panel lines to show the result.

{27684707691_6495878875_b.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Ryan

• Like 4

Got more work done on the kit.

First up, the winglets were attached and blended with a file and sandpaper. Both sides will need a smidgen of putty, no big deal. The parts themselves are incredibly thin and sharp, well done BPK.

27822448122_c777ca5873_c.jpgWinglets by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Flipping the model over we see the flap hinge fairings. These were not as well defined and other parts of the kit and were a little chunky. BPK would have you glue these parts into slots on the lower wing. These slots can be seen In other pics on this thread. I found it just as easy to sand off the fairing key and glue them over the slots. Some of the slots on the wing had garbage in them and it would have been a real pain to get them all to sit flush with the bottom of the wing.

27889884296_dfaef06dfb_c.jpgWinglets by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Little by little we are getting there, thanks for looking.

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 3

Cleaned up the winglets join tonite, boring.

Here's is a shot of the decals I will be using...nothing with the kit decals other than I wanted to paint the tail blue to match the belly. The kit decals include the entire blue Delta tail.

27357406534_0813883755_c.jpgDecal Choice by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

I wanted to see if any of the fuselage panel lines I needed to re-scribe would fall under a window, so the sheet was photocopied and taped against the kit. Luckily all is well, although the second to the last window is pretty close!

27690892560_5f19dd2261_c.jpgDecal Test by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Thanks and till next time.

Ryan.

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 1

Ray,

Here are the kit decals, very nice with Delta, and Air France markings.

27912241511_9f59f180a1_b.jpgUntitled by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Here is a pic of the few remaining parts of the kit..mostly gear related. The moldings are detailed if a little flashy. I like to spray the parts a contrasting color of primer (while on the sprue) to make it easier to see what needs to be cleaned up.

Main gear wheels are pretty nice, but there is a little trash in the spokes of the hub. The nose gear wheels are really small and their hubs ill-defined, so need to give thought on how to paint wheel and tire cleanly...I have an idea, more later.

27990212045_1ed7419929_b.jpgUntitled by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 1

This evening we engage in a little nose gear micro surgery!

As previously mentioned the nose gear tire and rims are kinda soft in my boxing of this kit. I like to completely assemble my gear then paint, so I needed a defined wheel and tire to easily paint.

The solution was to punch styrene "donuts" and build out the tire leaving a shallow rim, finished off with a punched nut in the center. The donuts where glued on and blended with the existing tires. As a reminder of how small this is, the gear is glued to a tooth pick!

27962341661_e1b1f2d1e7_c.jpgNose gear by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

27426050884_ec25aa4d45_c.jpgNose gear by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

And here we are in primer....

28040157805_01beab6c4e_c.jpgNose gear by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

27937554212_5b5764ec4c_c.jpgNose gear by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Well there you have it, pretty pleased how it came out. Just need to refine the tires a little and it will be ready to paint. Luckily the main gear is pretty crisp so won't have to do this again!

Ryan

Edited by The 3rd Placer
  • Like 4

Ok I spent too much time on the gear, but here they are. Some of the detail is a little soft and incredibly hard to brush paint. Right then, onto the unflattering close ups.....(they really look smart at the normal viewing position) :)

27611507224_859c6d7cdf.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

28123151572_bbb69563ed.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

28149474481_086835fc93.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Here a little closer to full size!

28149474481_086835fc93_m.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

27611507224_859c6d7cdf_m.jpgimage by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr\

}

Ryan