1/72 - Westland Sea King by Airfix - HAR.3 released - HC.4 in July 2024

Homebee

• 1 month later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/loch-ness-leviathan-and-bovington-show-report

South Atlantic Sea King special

WB Image

The magnificent box artwork supporting this new Sea King release really shows off this impressive anniversary scheme

As we currently find ourselves in the Centenary year of the Royal Air Force, many aviation enthusiasts will be hoping that the coming Airshow season will feature several current RAF aircraft wearing specially applied anniversary markings, as this significant occasion deserves to be commemorated in some style. Over the years, various individual squadrons have marked their own specific anniversaries by presenting one of their aircraft in special liveries, with these aircraft going on to be a source of pride for current squadron members, as well as being extremely popular with enthusiasts, particularly as we currently find ourselves in a period of rather plain air superiority grey aircraft schemes. A recent rotary addition to the Airfix kit range includes decal options to finish one of Britain's best loved post war aircraft in an unusually flamboyant scheme and it is worth taking a closer look at what is destined to be an extremely popular release.

The Westland Sea King has been something of an airborne workhorse since it first entered British service with the Royal Navy in 1970 and was regarded as one of the most versatile aircraft available to UK military forces, helping to cement the reputation of helicopters as indispensable assets in a constantly changing political world. As both RAF and Royal Navy Sea Kings also fulfilled the vital role of Air Sea Rescue from locations around the UK, these went on to become some of the highest profile aircraft in British military service and were usually the aircraft which the general public came into contact with most regularly. Bringing the professionalism of military flying to potentially life-threatening public rescue situations, these helicopters were viewed as angels on our shoulders, coming to our rescue when we needed them most. The vital Search and Rescue role was not only performed by the Sea King over the UK, but also during naval deployments across the globe and on the Falkland Islands, following the successful operation to recapture the Islands from Argentinian occupation in 1982.

Westland Sea King HAR.3, XZ586, No.78 Squadron, Royal Air Force, Mount Pleasant Airfield, Falkland Islands, January 1991.

WB ImageWB Image

Although the Royal Navy deployed Sea King Helicopters in some numbers during the Falklands War, only one RAF HAR.3 Search & Rescue aircraft, XZ593 could claim to have been involved. Finished in its usual all-over yellow scheme and wearing the markings of No.202 Squadron, this aircraft was sent to Ascension Island, where it was charged with performing its usual SAR role, but in the very different surroundings of this remote, yet extremely vibrant Island base. Following the successful liberation of the Falkland Islands, it was clear that a defensive force would be required to remain in the Falklands moving forwards, including a significant air defence capability, which would also require the need for permanent Air Sea Rescue cover.

Westland Sea King XZ586 was constructed at Westland's Yeovil factory in September 1977 and was delivered to the RAF in February 1978. Although it would go on to enjoy a long and successful military career, perhaps the most interesting period of its service was during its deployment to the South Atlantic. RAF Sea Kings of No.202 'C Flight' had been providing Air Sea Rescue cover from Navy Point, Port Stanley since July 1982, but they were to have a change of station four years later when the flight amalgamated with the Chinooks of No.1310 Flight, to form No.78 Squadron at RAF Mount Pleasant, as soon as the new airfield became fully operational in 1986. With at least two Sea Kings serving in this role at any one time, No.78 Squadron has the distinction of being the only RAF Squadron to be permanently based in the Falkland Islands between 1988 and 2007, with their hard working Sea Kings performing this vital role in often hazardous conditions. This unusually flamboyant scheme was applied to Sea King XZ586 during January 1991, to mark the 75th Anniversary of No.78 Squadron, whilst the aircraft was still stationed at RAF Mount Pleasant. The usual over-all grey scheme received a yellow and black flash which ran the length of the fuselage, with the Squadron's heraldic 'Tiger Rampant' crest and additional commemorative markings carried on either side of the fuselage. This must surely be classed as one of the most attractive schemes applied to an RAF Sea King and without doubt the most distinctive to operate over the Falkland Islands.

Westland Sea King Mk.43, No.330 Squadron, Royal Norwegian Air Force, 1996.

WB ImageWB Image

This extremely attractive aircraft is the second scheme option available with this latest Westland Sea King release and marks one of the Westland built machines which served in the Air Sea Rescue role with the Royal Norwegian Air Force. With these distinctive white and dayglow-orange aircraft performing the same duties as the famous British helicopters, these are clearly high profile aircraft in Norwegian skies and provide reassurance along the vast and often hostile coastline of the country. With the first aircraft delivered in 1972, No.330 Squadron is headquartered at Sola Air Station, with detachments at Rygge, Floro, Orland, Bode and Banak. Operating twelve Sea Kings, two aircraft are located at each station, other than Floro, which only has one helicopter - within this number, there are usually two aircraft undergoing long-term maintenance at any one time. From a Search and Rescue perspective, there will be at least one Sea King on 24-hour standby at each location, with their pilots putting their faith in the proven reliability of these venerable sentinels of the sky.

The latest 1/72nd scale Westland Sea King HAR.3 (A04063) is scheduled to be released in March and provides modellers with two fabulous new schemes to grace any collection of helicopters.

V.P.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Esposito said:

Can this aircraft be converted to a US Navy SH-3D? 

On a very basic level probably yes, the very basic airframe shape is the same. There are lots of differences to check out, the stabliser is different size, 5 blade tail rotor, no radome, no blister on port side of transmission fairing, different rescue hoist, no sand filter and I think there may be differences in the sponsons as well. Taking into account all the different aerials and lumps and bumps I think it should be a decent basis to start from!

Bob

The Norwegian Se Kings have been in service since 1973. The decal offering from Airfix seems to be a combination of early and late markings, not accurate for neither.

Nils

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Vingtor said:

The Norwegian Se Kings have been in service since 1973. The decal offering from Airfix seems to be a combination of early and late markings, not accurate for neither.

Nils

??

40598767371_92406aeb91_b.jpgseaking_norway_060 by David Fleming, on Flickr

38788867310_94692c78c6_b.jpg1438329-large by David Fleming, on Flickr

I beleive the markings were chosen to fit the options the plastic provide

• Like 1

On 09/01/2018 at 6:16 PM, andyf117 said:

Do you mean the different serial numbers? Box art - XZ586, side view on  Airfix's page - ZH586!

:oops: more evidence of dreadful QC (or is it QA?) at Airfix... is it now going to be unbuildable - hehe  :argue:

Edited by RichG

4 minutes ago, RichG said:

:oops: more evidence of dreadful QC (or is it QA?) at Airfix... is it now going to be unbuildable - hehe  :argue:

Side view was an early draft for the web site - the artwork and sheet has the correct serial

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

??

Sorry, I should have emphasised, that the configuration and decal offering from Airfix seems to be a combination of early and late aircraft. The Norwegian Sea Kings started out much like the HAR.3 in 1972, but the antenna and equipment configuration had changed much by 1996 (and even more today). They kit drawings shows to a great extent an early antenna configuration, and also include equipment that have not been used on Norwegian Sea Kings.

Hopefully, the emergency beacon (that was fitted in the mid 1970s) and the extra rescue hoist (that was fitted in the early 1990s) are both included in the kit, although they are not shown on the drawings.

Nils

On 4/3/2018 at 7:41 AM, Vingtor said:

Sorry, I should have emphasised, that the configuration and decal offering from Airfix seems to be a combination of early and late aircraft. The Norwegian Sea Kings started out much like the HAR.3 in 1972, but the antenna and equipment configuration had changed much by 1996 (and even more today). They kit drawings shows to a great extent an early antenna configuration, and also include equipment that have not been used on Norwegian Sea Kings.

Hopefully, the emergency beacon (that was fitted in the mid 1970s) and the extra rescue hoist (that was fitted in the early 1990s) are both included in the kit, although they are not shown on the drawings.

Nils

I like a lot the Norwegian SK, specially Mk43B with all the sensors, bulbs and antennas, Do you know a accurate decal sheet for 90´s-2000´s configuration?

as this:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Norway-Air-Force/Westland-WS-61-Sea-King-Mk43B/1680341/L

Cheers

1 hour ago, Gremlin said:

Do you know a accurate decal sheet for 90´s-2000´s configuration?

Well, since you are asking, there will be a decal sheet from Vingtor Decals before too long - covering both early and present markings (and configuration). As well as a complete set of stenciling.

Nils

• Like 1

Excellent!!!! Please advise when will be available B)

A Revell MK6 will be waiting for that decals, to convert to Mk43B

Cheers

Edited by Gremlin

• 1 month later...

Airfix does not try to replicate the prominent "quilted" appearance of the military Sea King interior, there are a lot of generic bench seats and an attempt at the system operator / navigator station.   The new kits fuselage is smooth on the outside and on the inside - something the real thing isn`t.

The scoop stretcher could go on the interior wall.

I think the Revell offering is a better starting point as it has nails and other surface details, possibly using some parts from the new Airfix kit.

There is an opening for several improvement sets, at least one for the "quilted" interior and seats and then adding all the antennae and other bits and pieces that are attached to later Sea Kings, I think other nations upgraded their airframes as well.

• 11 months later...

Has anybody got any 22Sqn RAF badges from the old Airfix version I could beg, I really fancy one of these new Sea Kings but I want to build it as one of my old  A Flt Chivenor cabs and I cannot spot any in the aftermarket world.

Does anyone who has this 78 sqn kit know if the instructions have the additional build step for the RWR fairings and if Airfix have corrected the HF aerial wire layout instruction? The previous boxing has a mish mash of HAR3 and 3A. 

TIA

Rick

• 2 years later...
On 4/30/2018 at 12:36 AM, LN-KEH said:

Airfix does not try to replicate the prominent "quilted" appearance of the military Sea King interior, there are a lot of generic bench seats and an attempt at the system operator / navigator station.   The new kits fuselage is smooth on the outside and on the inside - something the real thing isn`t.

The scoop stretcher could go on the interior wall.

I think the Revell offering is a better starting point as it has nails and other surface details, possibly using some parts from the new Airfix kit.

There is an opening for several improvement sets, at least one for the "quilted" interior and seats and then adding all the antennae and other bits and pieces that are attached to later Sea Kings, I think other nations upgraded their airframes as well.

Just read this but the UK Sea king was never quilted like its Sikorsky brothers ...lower half was a form of padded panels not quilted and the other upper half was cxxp plastic soundproofing which deteriorated very quickly after it had been removed even once ....I know nearly killed a wren with a pump action screwdriver when I threw it in a fit of soundproofing rage (I was young)from one end of the aircraft to the other narrowly missing her.At that point calm as a cucumber she suggested a cup of tea.....top girl 👧 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Two photos of Sea King HAR.5 with Ukrainian markings. I'm not sure if serial numbers of helicopters transferred to Ukraine were revealed but this info can be interesting for decals manufacturers. I'm not sure how many changes Airfix needs to make for the release of the HAR.5 model, but maybe they'll go for it?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Source: The 40-year-old British helicopter flying in Ukraine

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

not sure if serial numbers of helicopters transferred to Ukraine were revealed

Hi Piotr,

Published possible numbers are: XV666 (HAS 1) , XZ920 (HAS 5) and ZA166 (HU 5, HAS 5).

Cheers,

AaCee

6 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Two photos of Sea King HAR.5 with Ukrainian markings. I'm not sure if serial numbers of helicopters transferred to Ukraine were revealed but this info can be interesting for decals manufacturers. I'm not sure how many changes Airfix needs to make for the release of the HAR.5 model, but maybe they'll go for it?

Source: The 40-year-old British helicopter flying in Ukraine

Some time ago a video from training was published/leaked, there is link to slow motion video analysis.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:13 PM, AaCee26 said:

Hi Piotr,

Published possible numbers are: XV666 (HAS 1) , XZ920 (HAS 5) and ZA166 (HU 5, HAS 5).

Cheers,

AaCee

“Damian” [XV666] is not one of them; still with Heliops at Portland, I understand.  I’m almost certain ZA166 is one. 

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Westland Sea King HAR.3 by Airfix - released
On 4/20/2023 at 10:03 PM, Grizzly said:

XV666 is a HAR5 was 821 with 771NAS, XZ920 is the first one handed over.

Thanks ex-FAAWAFU and Grizzly!

Original Tseet-writer was smart to add #possible" in front of the list ;)

Cheers,

AaCee