1/72 - Hunting Jet Provost T.3/T.3a & T.4 by Airfix - released - new T3/T.4 boxing in June 2024

Homebee

19 hours ago, Homebee said:

New variant expected in January 2019 - ref. A02107 - Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.4

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2019/hunting-percival-jet-provost-t-4-1-72.html

Box art+schemes

a02107_hunting-percival-jet-provost-t4_a

a02107-hunting-percival-jet-provost-t4-p

a02107-hunting-percival-jet-provost-t4-p

V.P.

Beautiful! I‘ll get one for sure - to fill the time until Airfix issues this one in 1/48th scale!!

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Can't claim to be an expert on JPs. Any differences between T3 and T4 other than decals? 

External differences are that the T.4 has two intakes on the upper fuselage which are the same size as those used on the T.5, these are larger than those on the T.3 (easily scratched though).  The elevators on the T.4 are different to the T.3, again, these are the same as the T.5 and feature different shaped horn balance (tip) shape.

IIRC, the T.3 has an all black cockpit, the T.4 has a grey cockpit with a black instrument panel (the T.5 is all grey).

Airfix have previously released the kit in T.4 markings but the mouldings were definitely a T.3, I see no reason why they would have changed anything other than decals for this release.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Just the decals changed. As it is, the kit doesn't have the upper fuselage intakes for the T3 anyway. Elevators is a realtively easy fix too - fill the existing diagonal hinge line, slightly reshape the horn balance end (Superglue)  and rescribe the new hingle line

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/03/2019 at 19:18, Dave Fleming said:

Just the decals changed. As it is, the kit doesn't have the upper fuselage intakes for the T3 anyway. Elevators is a realtively easy fix too - fill the existing diagonal hinge line, slightly reshape the horn balance end (Superglue)  and rescribe the new hingle line

Cheers, Dave, I note you get a mention in the Instructions. 

Review now on BM https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235054031-hunting-percival-jet-provost-t4-172-airfix/

Julien

• Like 2

I just helped with some research. I got a bit obsessed with the camo JPs after a post on here a few years back an did a fair bit of research into them

The decal artist has done a superb job, full stencil detail (and different for each aircraft, and from the previous releases) and serials etc means if you had a extra from the Aldi Red Pelicans issue , you can do both aircraft as the only decal shared as far as I can see is the instrument panel. There is also the option of the grey scheme without the yellow bands.

Then you can look at XR679 in her alternative camouflage scheme (without red arrows). Then there are the other 4 camo aircraft / 2 grey (new serials needed) or XR679 in training command colours (stencils and roundels from the original kit) and you can spend a year building 79 Squadron JPs!

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Hunting Jet Provost T.3/T.3a & T.4 by Airfix - released - new T3/T.4 boxing in June 2024

I've just looked at the official Airfix  New 2024 video on YouTube(well worth watching for decal markings)  The new markings are for  XN579  and XP568/85 of the RAF College Cranwell. Before Linton XN 579 also served at Cranwell coded 14 then 49 later. 

My late father was the Unit Test Pilot at the RAF College Cranwell 1966 till he left the RAF in April 1968 after a 20 year career flying.  He has flown both these aircraft represented so I will definitely be buying it.

Incidentally he ferried XN579 to Kemble on May23rd 1967 for repaint in the Light aircraft grey/dayglo scheme. He ferried it back to Cranwell on 22 June 1967 my source is my father's logbook .

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, T-21 said:

XP568/85

Great reminiscence! I rather like this scheme- add that to the ‘probably an impulse purchase’ list when it appears on shelves. Never quite got around to buying an earlier boxing.

• Like 1