1/72 - Hunting Jet Provost T.3/T.3a & T.4 by Airfix - released - new T3/T.4 boxing in June 2024

Homebee

The marking options look great although personally I would like the dayglo and silver scheme. Oh well, I'll just have to get three of them.

The major external differences are all forward of the wing leading edge. I am sure there are some minor differences elsewhere, just as I am sure that somebody with a better understanding of the subject will come forward to tell you what they are!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Box art.

Source: http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/jet-provost-t-3-t-3a-1-72.html

image.jpg

For anyone with even the slightest interest in aeroplanes and flying, this image really is one that you could lose yourself in – featuring a No.2 Flying Training School Jet Provost T.3 from RAF Gaydon, it shows a student pilot and his instructor dancing above the clouds in the serene environment that is only really known by pilots. Not only is the picture of the Jet Provost extremely appealing, but the background cloudscape makes you imagine just how magnificent it must be to experience this unique environment – just two people in their aircraft, spending time in the playground of the gods.

The new 1/72nd scale Jet Provost T.3 will enhance the collection of RAF training aircraft already on offer within the Airfix range when it is released in late August and this magnificent artwork will surely tempt many a modeller to finish their example in this attractive RAF No.2 FTS scheme.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

A bit confused by where Airfix are saying this aircraft is based as although it was at Gaydon at some stage, it has markings for 2FTS what the time were based at Syerston in Nottinghamshire. I am definitely getting one as it must have flown over my house when I was a teenager.

Mm, light aircraft grey with dayglo tape... :Tasty:

And I rather like the idea of a camouflaged aircraft from Brawdy as well, specifically XR679 as I won a flight in that aircraft at St. Mawgan air day after it had been demobbed.

Blimey it was you! I remember the event!

I'm with you with the Brawdy scheme as well.

...and I remember making the original Airfix Hunting Jet Provost with lomg stalky undercarriage in the 70's. I thought my glue smeared canopy, wonky winged effort was bril - and I remember watching it slowly settle as the stalky undercarriage slowly retracted because in my eagerness to see it on my shelf I'd set it down before the glue had set :-) Happy innocent days.

A bit confused by where Airfix are saying this aircraft is based as although it was at Gaydon at some stage, it has markings for 2FTS what the time were based at Syerston in Nottinghamshire. I am definitely getting one as it must have flown over my house when I was a teenager.

http://www.na3t.org/air/photo/WB00031-39

and here:

http://www.jetprovostfile.org/t3-xm401-to-xm428/

Presumably for an airshow

Edited by Dave Fleming

Thanks for the links Dave. Clarifies why Airfix said Gaydon From the dates on the photos, it was probably at a BoB display (happy days at Finningley, especially the year I was involved in one of the hangar display. The aircraft looks as if it could be in Light Aircraft Grey.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the links Dave. Clarifies why Airfix said Gaydon From the dates on the photos, it was probably at a BoB display (happy days at Finningley, especially the year I was involved in one of the hangar display. The aircraft looks as if it could be in Light Aircraft Grey.

Poor research by Airfix! They may have used a pic taken at Gaydon, but 2 FTS were definately stationed at Syerston in the '60s. They started repainting them from overall silver/natural metal to Light Aircraft Grey in late 1967, so you are correct it is in that scheme.

Poor research by Airfix! They may have used a pic taken at Gaydon, but 2 FTS were definately stationed at Syerston in the '60s. They started repainting them from overall silver/natural metal to Light Aircraft Grey in late 1967, so you are correct it is in that scheme.

The kit depicts an aircraft as seen at Gaydon. Now you may argue that's semantics, but that's what it shows!

• 3 weeks later...

Just had an email saying they have arrived at the warehouse and mine will be on the way shortly! :yahoo:

The email from paypal saying they had taken the money came an hour earlier :mental:

Edited by JamesP

Interesting, the drawings show (correctly) that the CFS lettering appeared over a different shade of red (I suspect due to carrier film in real life!). 

Jet Provost T.4 XN468-41

You can also do it without the CFS lettering

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2016 at 0:05 PM, Dave Fleming said:

The kit depicts an aircraft as seen at Gaydon. Now you may argue that's semantics, but that's what it shows!

Dave, I was speaking to my old man just before Christmas and he remebers it well as he was stationed at Gaydon in 67 and they spent some time practicing out of the station

• Like 1

Hopefully they can retool the canopy to make more accurate if you can go by the review by Mike Grant in the November edition of Airfix Model World in which he states that the dividing line down the middle of the sliding section is supposed to be on the inside of the canopy and should be perfectly smooth on the outside.