Gannet AEW3 - the hard way

Gannet AEW.3 XL479

849 Naval Air Squadron ‘A’ Flight, HMS Victorious, 1967

Aeroclub Gannet AEW.3 conversion kit + Frog Gannet AS4

Gannet%20XL479%20006.jpg

When I saw Sword was doing the Gannet AEW.3 I knew I had to have one as I had flown in the beast way back in the 1970s. It would have to be finished as XL472 – the one I flew in. And it was so! I had had this old Aeroclub conversion in the stash for decades so it was time to throw it away. I thought I would have a good look first, though. Then I saw those beautifully moulded white metal parts and the crisp vac-form parts and quickly realised this was far too good to go in the bin. So I got on with it.

There were a few difficult moments (for example when I found I had lost the nose wheel leg and had to fabricate a new one) but actually most of it went together really well, and I’m convinced the finished product looks more like an AEW.3 than the Sword one – but I’m biased! Having done XL472, this one had to be XL479 which I saw at the Coltishall Battle of Britain display in 1967 when I was merely 16 years old.

XL479%20at%20Coltishall_1.jpg

These are the Aeroclub parts :

Gannet%2001_1.jpg

Gannet%2002.jpg

Gannet%2003.jpg

The Frog wings with white metal leading edges , undercarriage bays, bulges for the flap hinges and panel scribing added :

Gannet%2007.jpg

Airframe ready for priming :

Gannet%2004.jpg

Wing top surface after priming :

Gannet%2008.jpg

XL479%20006.jpg

XL479%20007.jpg

XL479%20002.jpg

Edited by CT Modeller
  • Like 34

The work certainly paid off. I've got various spares, a roll of garden twine and a large potato (King Edward). I don't suppose you could cobble together a 1/72 Scimitar out of that lot for me could you?

Absolutely brilliant. Makes my nearly done Sword version look a bit tawdry. Cracking build.

Good job!

I will happily admit that it's good that we are fortunate to have the multitude of current uptodate kits, of subject once only dreamed off but I do like to see a conversion such as this, it's what modelling is all about!

Very nice indeed,......I`ve built a few of those over the years but mine were nowhere near as good as yours,.....well done on a lovely Gannet!

Cheers

Tony

Hello,CTModeller - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Gannet'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and she is a resplendent tribute to '261'.All the best,Paul.