J29F Tunnan Build Review 1:48

Mike

I started this one almost as soon as I'd finished the review here, but haven't been making very rapid progress due to a few factors that I won't bore you with :) I started by building up some assemblies for painting, with the view to closing up the fuselage in one go, which included cockpit, wheel bays, exhaust and while I was about it, I built up the simple landing gear. I wasn't too happy with the exhaust, as it was over-thick and blessed with no internal detail of the jet engine that's clearly visible, so I broke my OOB rule on the build and fabricated a new exhaust from brass rod, which I soldered a couple of pegs onto to replicate the kit mounting lugs. I made an end-plug, spun up a bullet fairing for the rear on my Dremel, and then cut four stator-blades, gluing them into the bottom. I sprayed it up, then painted on some fan blades in three shades of Games Workshop metallics as I figured that's all that was needed. Looking at it, I think I may well have been right :smartass:

With the new Vallejo Metal Color metallics in place, I masked the cockpit floor and sprayed one of the many shades of green found on a Tunnan. I altered the shade a little here & there, and then broke out another green for the landing gear legs & hubs, followed by some Vallejo Dark Rubber for the tyres. I received a resin pilot with the kit from Claes (thanks ^_^ ), and have done a little digging to get some suitable uniform colours for him, which I sprayed on & then lightened, spraying a "highlight" coat from above. I've got a lot of detail painting left to do on his harness, life-jacket, helmet & face, but it's a start.

The cockpit has had its dial decals added, plus a few dabs of white paint to highlight the buttons & switches, but I'll add a bit of colour here & there later too, then matt it down to give it a more used look. The tyres also need their usual highlighting, and it all needs a wash of Ultimate Dark Dirt to accentuate the recesses, so it's most definitely a work in progress, rather than a set piece "here's the cockpit I did earlier". That's why everything is on a stick! :)

assemblies1.jpg

• Like 10

So Martin, is that one you were showing off a few months/years ago ever going to get built? (evil laugh, exits stage left........)

Tim

You are an evil child Tim! You know that that is the horrible AZ kit. I shall follow the path of least resistance and do this or the Hobby Boss kit. Yes I now the HB kit is a bit under scale but if one is not concerned about a constant scale collection then it doesn't matter. I may donate the AZ kit to you so that you cn enjoy its charms. :evil_laugh:

Martin

• Like 1

I wouldn't choose the HB kit over this one Martin - although it might fit nicely, it's been demonstrated to be underscale just about everywhere :S Shame, but it appears to be the case in this instance :shrug:

I wouldn't choose the HB kit over this one Martin - although it might fit nicely, it's been demonstrated to be underscale just about everywhere :S Shame, but it appears to be the case in this instance :shrug:

Does that matter if it is all in proportion?

Martin

Does that matter if it is all in proportion?

Martin

In isolation, no, but parked next to something in scale, it'll look a bit weird :hmmm:

Wow, that is truly a great job on the pilot figure! The colors look spot on, great work!

Thanks - you can thank a few mannequins in museums for that ;)

• Like 2

Out of interest, what are you using as a base coat for the Metal Color? I know quite a few have complained about the gloss black primer that Vallejo recommend (I've had a few issues with it when spraying at around 20psi, I've found that knocking back the pressure to around 10-12psi and going slowly achieves better results, I digress), would something like Tamiya X-1 be the way to go?

I had a problem with adhesion initially (which may have been my fault through rushing application), and I've yet to go back and revisit that with a test spray. In the meantime I've been using Alclad glossy black, purely because it's the only gloss black primer I have. Plenty of safeguards against fumes though :zombie:

In isolation, no, but parked next to something in scale, it'll look a bit weird :hmmm:

It rather defeats the purpose of "one true scale". My Hobby Boss Tunnan looks tiny next to a Monogram Panther, but next to an old Revell Cougar, which is also underscale, it looks more plausible. Heck, it makes an A-4 look big, which I didn't think could happen! If I wanted a 1/48 Tunnan I'd go with Pilot Replicas, but for my purposes the Hobby Boss is serving admirably.

bob

p.s. In order to keep it relevant, nice pilot, Mike!

bob

Thanks Bob :) I try to keep things to the accepted 1:48 scale, as that's my preference. I've got a few 1:72 and some 1:32 in my stash, but those are just accidents ;) The 1:35 armour isn't an accident however :)

A little progress. The cockpit has been installed, the gear bays weathered, and the lower nose area added, which fitted very well considering how much nose weight I'd slammed in there. The instructions recommend 30g, so I put in about 7g of Milliput and around 25g of little metal circles from the bottom of an old angle-poise lamp. The wings aren't glued at this time, as I've noticed that there's a wingtip light glazing part missing, which looks like it was missing from the outset, after looking at the review photos. Not to worry. I have some clear acrylic that I can cut to shape, but it's a little more work and I'd rather not be handling the whole airframe while I do it :)

airframe1.jpg

• Like 11

I made a bit of a hash of the wings, forgetting to drill out the holes (I was in a flap, having built something in the wrong order. A flap, actually!), but Claes helped me out with a diagram so that I could drill them in the proper place. Disaster averted, as they also sent me some resin drop-tanks that I wanted to use in the build :)

• Like 1