1/6 Spacebase 2000 Inspired Astronaut Sculpt

He looks intense, which is fair enough given the situation! I like the hard catchlights but I think the iris is probably big enough you could feather it with some fine radial lines of a slightly lighter brown, outside the catchlight area? That would soften the very dark edge and add more life. It would probably require a fine brush or a carefully-trimmed cheap one. Or maybe even a chewed toothpick (to separate the fibres) cut into a wedge?

I think you're right that some washes in the white will do a lot, especially a bit of pink/fleshy colour in the tear ducts.

Looking forward to more :)

Will

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Will Vale said:

He looks intense, which is fair enough given the situation! I like the hard catchlights but I think the iris is probably big enough you could feather it with some fine radial lines of a slightly lighter brown, outside the catchlight area? That would soften the very dark edge and add more life. It would probably require a fine brush or a carefully-trimmed cheap one. Or maybe even a chewed toothpick (to separate the fibres) cut into a wedge?

I think you're right that some washes in the white will do a lot, especially a bit of pink/fleshy colour in the tear ducts.

Looking forward to more :)

Will

Cheers Will! And thanks for the tips, especially about thectear ducts totally not thought about that

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Amazing work. The eyes realy add expression. He looks a little worried now...

Thanks John, yeah now he can see the trouble he's in!

Just a small update, I painted his face, I mixed up an enamel flesh colour which I painted all over as a base colour as I thought it looked much better then the vallejo light flesh colour I used as the base coat.

I basically had my enamel flesh colour that I was just adding more red or white here and there to create different shades for the shadow and highlights. Sorry for the lack of in progress shots here, its awkward to stop when your in full flow anyway but I also have to balance the base of the model at an angle on my lap as I paint so grabbing my phone is impossible while holding a paintbrush too!

41842256342_cc3d2244fe_c.jpg20180503_132746 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

41885047831_0c7bf73252_c.jpg20180503_132752 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

I'll leave his face as is with paint, but next I'll add some pigments to help with darker shadows and to just tie it all together a bit.

And for now I also got the base brown colour for his hair and eyebrows in place, I've kept it on the darker side as this is the dark undercoat that I'll be drybrushing over the top with lighter browns

27016783077_c5738e3e38_c.jpg20180504_134043 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

41885047821_1acfe3e77e_c.jpg20180504_134135 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

So I'll carry on with the hair next, and also like I said I'll add some pigments to the face before working on the eyes a little more to add tear ducts and washes

Thanks for looking, more soon :)

• Like 6

You may want to pop on the lit helmet during the painting process. You don't want to do hours of work and then decide it's not quite right for the colour temperature of your LEDs.

• Like 3

Yeah thats a good shout John, the light is only white so it should be okay but I'll definitely give it a test to see how it looks

Had a busy bank holiday weekend so not done much, I've just worked on his hair dry brushing some lighter shades of brown and I gave him some tear ducts and tried to add shading using some pink on the eyes.

The light in the shed is pretty crap especially because his head is looking down so I took some daylight pics outside.

40204650010_ab1607118e_c.jpg20180509_131628 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

40204649090_211949e0bd_c.jpg20180509_131636 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

40204650050_d0888d6861_c.jpg20180509_131648 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

Think the pink went a little overboard and I'll have to get some more white on there to knock it back a bit, but I'm pleased with how its looking.

Next up I'll tweak the eyes a bit more and tone down the white, and I got some greenstuff through the post so I'll get his left hand glued on too and sculpt some connecting padding around it.

• Like 7

Man I have been crazy busy and just knackered with work so haven't made as much time for him as I liked, but the last couple of days I've just been mucking about with paint tests and thinking about colour schemes.

After a quick think about it I'm going to brush paint him, airbrushing would be a nightmare and pretty impossible with some of the nooks and crannys on this guy, so I've busted out the enamels and my hairy sticks.

Originally I was thinking about differing shades of grey but started to feel a bit bored about that colour scheme and after testing out a possible blue (check his right arm!) and settled on a tan colour which will have areas painted in darker browns burgundy and a few flashes of orange here and there.

And here is the first attack at his leg, which obviously needs more areas of colour adding on the different steps of the thigh armour and the sunken detail on the shin but hopefully you get the idea of where I'm going. I also think the use of browns on a space suit gives him a nice retro feel

42150247132_ba040ccb79_c.jpg20180518_134227 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

42150248402_668bd41eeb_c.jpg20180518_134216 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

40389768100_3c5b2e5862_c.jpg20180518_134202 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

So I'll continue with the painting, and I'll be doing my usual technique of doing post shading with pigments after the base colours of paint are laid down.

• Like 4

Great to see him with some colour on Hunter and he's looking good. This has been a great thread all the way through as you don't often see sculpting wip so it's been very interesting to see the process and I've really enjoyed watching him come together.

i really want to see him finished but at the same time I'll be sad as this section won't be the same without this thread

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks Pete I really appreciate the kind words, and I'm thinking after this I'll start another sculpting project (though not necessarily a sci fi subject and not for a while yet!) so there will be more to come :)

But for now thanks glad you like the paint, I just keep trying to not let the thought of all the electrics and scratchbuilding to come overwhelm me!

Honestly mate it's been a pleasure watching you bring him to life. I hope what's to come isn't going to be too much of a pain for you but I'm pleased to hear there is more to come and look forward to seeing what you've got up your sleeve

Pete

edit : just wanted to add I do follow along a lot of threads but i'm ashamed to say I'm guilty of not chipping in perhaps as much as I should do. Will make an effort to get more involved with others work as knowing people are interested can really give a boost and help push a project along especially if it's a tough one.

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, haven't been working on this a lot as I've had some personal stuff to deal with as well as being busy over half term with the kids.

Not much for now I'm afraid, just wanted to show where the paint is up to so far

40535919040_46f10720a2_c.jpg20180525_133731 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

42342885871_a55696110e_c.jpg20180525_133741 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

42342885841_3da4d57a79_c.jpg20180525_133752 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

Still need to get the base colour down, and then before a second coat here and there I'll have to fill a few cracks that weren't apparent till paint, then I'll start adding the other shades.

I'm tackling the paint in my usual method so it looks really basic for now, but after the colours are down I add all shading and grime/weathering with pigments which brings it to life, I may add some chipping here and there too but only sparingly on some edges and corners.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys really appreciate the comments!  Progress has been slow, been so busy with work, got a MASSIVE job on which means progress will probably be slow over the next few weeks due to how knackered I am!!!

For now here are a couple of pics just to show the finished base colour painting.

28942251298_b48a832c3a_c.jpg20180605_134133 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

42097730454_e451a61606_c.jpg20180605_134123 by Nick Frost, on Flickr

I'll start adding some of the other colours next, and I want to get his arm computer sorted so I can get that in place so I dont have to keep looking at that big hole in his arm! lol

• Like 7