1/48 Eduadrd Spitfire IXc - Ian Keltie's Popeye

Superb. Very well done model in all departments.

That's a very convincing Spitfire. The finish and weathering look very 'right' to my eyes and the control surfaces moved just enough to give an impression of life – splendid modelling!

Two minor research gotchas, though – the crowbar is green or steel colour, on wartime machines (that horse must be a zombie now, after all the beating the poor old critter has taken). And, since at least the Mk V, there was no external antenna wire. ;-)

From late 1940 or early 1941, the radios were VHF sets and the shorter antenna required was hidden in the antenna mast.

But she really looks like a shrunk reality Spit.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Looks very nice! I've been thinking of doing my Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire with these same markings. You mention using Gunze Acrylics, I'm guessing you mean the aqueous versions. What did you use for the Ocean Grey? A mix, or did you just use something that was close, like maybe H75? I like how the paint scheme came out.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill, thanks for you comments!

I used Gunze set for WW II RAF medium - late period. C361, C 362, C363. All colours were enlighted with 10-15% of white.

cheers

• Like 1

Beautiful model. As to weathering, I am not sure that it was ever so pronounced. There is a fine foto in Bracken's The Canadians, I believe in vol. 2. After all, it went on to become Johnson's favourite Spitfire.

And then, when in a critical mood: Red crowbar, very red indeed!?!

I have the Royal boxing of the kit too. That's the version I intend to build. Thanks for the inspiration.

NPL, you have to remember the Spitfire was repainted before becoming Johnson's. In fact he commented on how well it looked in its new coat of paint. That would imply it needed repainting. So perhaps you can argue that's how it might have looked just before it's visit to the paint shop.