Nuremberg 2016 again

NPL

*Really* doubtful. It will almost certainly be one of the existing FDM printers with Humbrol's name slapped on it, much like the Dremel printer.

Also: FDM printers are almost entirely useless for most scale modelling purposes. They'd work for making, say, a large, un-detailed blank for vac forming (once you slather the print in putty and sand out the print ridges), but for any kind of detail or finesse, they're a complete non-starter.

• Like 1

Dragon: last announcement 28/01/2016 !

https://www.facebook.com/dragonmodels

http://www.dragon-models.com/

V.P.

It would be surprising if they're going belly up after getting the Star Wars licence. Unless they're distancing themselves from armour and aircraft? They've done some great stuff over the years but also some not so good stuff.

Well, I started this discussion a while ago, and was taught that not much would happen in Nuremberg, after the important companies had already disclosed their 2016 program. It is in many ways correct, as far as airplanes go. I do not know enough about other parts of the hobby, whether they think the same.

It is not that there is not an awful amount of announcements but how many new items were really revealed. Not even the IPMS Deutschland which used to be very active, sems really interested. They have published some fotos but no evaluations, which they did the previous yeras.

As informed observer, I've quoted as "NEW (a/c kits) to me", in the various Nuremberg Toy Fair 2016 reports:

(links to the reports: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996360-nuremberg-2016-again/?p=2245763 )

• Hauler/Bregun: future 1/72nd Yak-1 and a dubious twin engined V-1;
  • Special Hobby: future 1/72nd Barracuda Mk.II/III, Vampire Mk.1 and 1/48th Bü 181 Bestmann. Surprisingly nothing about the future 1/48th Siebel Si-204/Aero C-3;
  • Merit: future 1/24th Sopwith Camel F.1 & 2F.1 and Spad S.XIII;
  • Ark Models: future 1/72nd rebox from Hobby Boss kits with resin sets PAK FA T-50, Ka-29, Ka-50, Mi-24 and Mi-8;
  • Encore Models: rebox from the old 1/48th Revellogram F-84F Thunderstreak.
And that's it!

Nothing about the 2016 future releases from RS Models, Sword, Roden, AFV Club, Freedom Model Kits etc.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Dragon is booooring (and expensive) still another and another Tigers.... Pzkpfw IV etc.... AT-AT in 1/35 is nice, but probably very expensive...

And main model news are announced in Asian model shows... not in Nuremberg.

Not even the IPMS Deutschland which used to be very active, sems really interested. They have published some fotos but no evaluations, which they did the previous yeras.

From what I have seen there is very little new coming out of most firms at the moment, Airfix being the leading exception (and they don't announce new releases at Nuremberg). All the previous expectations with Revell Germany seem to have evaporated - I note that their "Share your dream" idea website appears to have closed.

I for one am very grateful for the effort Steffan puts into IPMS Germany's reports on the show and I note a report today at Modellmarine on the forthcoming 1/144 Flower class corvette.

From what I have seen there is very little new coming out of most firms at the moment, Airfix being the leading exception (and they don't announce new releases at Nuremberg).(...)

Come on we have never seen so many kits coming from so many firms (mostly from China, Czech Republic and CIS) as today.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Come on we have never seen so many kits coming from so many firms (mostly from China, Czech Republic and CIS) as today.

V.P.

But how many are really 'new'? If we take the very comprehensive list published by IPMS Deutschland, it is indeed long, but there are only few items with the sticker 'new form'. However, Hobbyboss seems to be the exception (apart, of course from Airfix). That's an interesting list.

But how many are really 'new'? If we take the very comprehensive list published by IPMS Deutschland, it is indeed long, but there are only few items with the sticker 'new form'. However, Hobbyboss seems to be the exception (apart, of course from Airfix). That's an interesting list.

Yes and in the IPMS Deutschland list - definitely NOT comprehensive - where are: Kinetic, AvantGarde Model Kits (AMK), Kitty Hawk, Great Wall Hobby (GWH), Fly, Roden, Zvezda, Valom, Brengun, AFV Club, Meng, Xuntong, AModel, Modelsvit, Sword, AZ Model, Wolfpack Design, Tarangus, Pilot Replicas, Freedom Model Kit, R.V. Aircraft, Arsenal Model Group (AMG), Tan Model, Ark Models, Zoukei-Mura, HK Models, Kovozávody Prostějov (KP), FRROM/Azur, Bronco Models, MikroMir, Mars Models etc.

To my knowledge they've all new tool a/c kits programmed for 2016. And that's a lot of new kits!

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

But what a plethora of Russian subjects! Not bad for those interested. Somehow the Russian planes have always been very sexy. My personal favourite used to bet he MiG 19.

• Like 1

Let's face it. Companies are offering the same kits in different variants but in the end what we got is more or less the same. Investments in new kits are costly and no one wants to risk.

The only hope comes from new companies that, in order to gain market share, must offer something different because they won't enter the market with a portfolio consisting of "n" versions of F15/16/18.

Let's face it. Companies are offering the same kits in different variants but in the end what we got is more or less the same. Investments in new kits are costly and no one wants to risk.

The only hope comes from new companies that, in order to gain market share, must offer something different because they won't enter the market with a portfolio consisting of "n" versions of F15/16/18.

I totally agree!! I think that's the situation yes!!!

It's been a long time since we had lots of companies rushing to bring out new tooling. However, over 2015/16 we've had/will have 2 Shackletons, Halifax, Sunderland, Stirling, B-17G, Whitley, Victor, Kate, 2 Ki61-IIs, Ar.96A, and that's just 1/72 aircraft in my areas of interest (I'm sure I've missed some, even only looking at ones that aren't of more common subjects). Airfix have restarted WW1 subjects. Much the same in 1/700 warships, with for me the USS Wasp and Polish-manned Hunt class destroyers standing out. I don't keep track of 1/350, but the new ones are there. I do small scale AFVs where we have the Hungarian WW2 tanks, Airfix's US Airfield set, plus the usual outpourings in resin. I don't do 1/35 tanks, but there seems to be masses of the things.

The scene isn't quite as boring as you suggest, once you look past the "classic" producers - and I think Airfix counts as one of those. We are still living in a Golden Age of kit production.

For me it will be the 'Golden Age' once we have the following Buccaneer, FJ3 Fury, FJ4 Fury, AD5 Skyraider, Gloster Javelin, Sea Vixen and E-1 Tracer in 1/72.

This is definitely the golden age of modelling but some companies like Revell don't seem as adventurous as they were. The more adventurous companies when it comes to aircraft are companies like Wingnut Wings and when it comes to armour....companies like Meng, Hobbyboss and Takom are bringing out some unique stuff.

Maybe it's a misleading impression but it does seem that those aircraft you mention seem to pop up far too often in new releases and upcoming releases.

• Like 1

We can also hope that the low prices on oil will continue, making the material used less expensive. And some day kids may get tired of computorplaying (we can at least hope). But this time of the year is a sobering one, when some of your dreams were fulfilled, and many other not ... so looking for the output in 2017 ... what will Airfix bring out? Not really a question!

• Like 1