New Chieftains coming from Takom

Andy Moore

No one's that interested in doing postwar/coldwar British stuff.

We have no figures to cover the 60's/70's/80's period, no trucks.

A few AFV's, mainly those that have been sold overseas or have stared in some games.

The British market is just too niche, which just leaves the small production resin makers ie the likes of accurate armour to fill the gaps.

• Like 2

I think we may start to see more postwar and modern British releases from kit companies. I doubt it'll ever get to the levels we see for Russian and American subjects, but manufacturers seem to be looking further afield for new releases these days.

I don't suppose a 432 will be forthcoming any time soon, but it is the kind of subject that the likes of Takom or Meng might do, and now we've got Tiger and Rye Field, and other new companies, all of which will be looking for unusual releases to stand out from the crowd.

Andy

• Like 1

I suppose there must be something of a market for less than obvious British stuff, I mean there's only so many Objects and T-62 variants right!? But if anything we should be glad with the marksman for now, may just give people the appetiser per se for developing the taste for Cold War British military vehicles that are oh so prevalent with Russian or American Cold War subjects.

• Like 1

Need some british game designers to create a hit game based on British armour, obscure variants, drawing board designs, soft skins, artillery and infantry.

I feel world of Tanks is driving a lot of paper panzers and one offs that are appearing in model form.

I guess if armoured warfare becomes a global hit you might see some of the other AFV's featured in it turn up in plastic.

No one's that interested in doing postwar/coldwar British stuff.

We have no figures to cover the 60's/70's/80's period, no trucks.

A few AFV's, mainly those that have been sold overseas or have stared in some games.

The British market is just too niche, which just leaves the small production resin makers ie the likes of accurate armour to fill the gaps.

Cant be sure i agree with the no interest bit,i started a thread on a different site and you would be pleasantly surprised by the interest shown in British armour from all over the place.

• Like 1

By no one I didn't mean us the modeller's, I meant the big manufacturers.

I was born in '68, I really like the stuff that was around then, BR Blue trains, phantoms, buccaneers, gnats, cheiftans, centurions, stalwarts, slr rifles.

The trains and planes are well served, just the British military stuff is missing.

• Like 1

Well, interest may pick up yet! Takom are all about their chieftains at the moment and so's Meng we can hope... Jeez imagine what one of those would look like with interior... However with all these new model manufacturers coming to the market with Takom and Meng spear heading it just think what the likes of Rye-field model, Panda model etc. would do to appease the market. If Takom does the chieftain and the other companies see a good response whats stopping them from knocking out a 432 to jump on the British band wagon. As someone famous that i cant remember said - it is just the beginning...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to see some more British Cold War kit. Fox, Spartan and sultan would be my favourites. I guess it comes down to economics. If you can get a good number of variants out of a base kit with an add on sprue or two then some one will pick up the designs and make the kits. the AFV Club Centurions and the Takom Cheiftans are a good example of this approach

• 5 months later...

Now I just want them to put their Marksman turret with their T-55 chassis to do a Finish one. Also they could do it with a LEO2A4 chassis as thats what the Finns are doing now.

There really though is a hole for British cold war stuff in injection plastic starting with a decent 432, think of the variant you could get from the base kit. Ferrets and a Saladin would be good as would a Stolly.

We can dream................

The Takom Chieftain Mk 2 is now released and looks good.

Duncan B

Strange I've had mine sat in the stash for nearly a month now.

You mean like this Duncan.

20160806_211623_zpswbjwtjfm.jpg

The main active builds in there are the tiger, millennium falcon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/09/2016 at 0:06 AM, Julien said:

Now I just want them to put their Marksman turret with their T-55 chassis to do a Finish one. Also they could do it with a LEO2A4 chassis as thats what the Finns are doing now.

Trouble is that the Marksman turret used by the Finns on their T-55s had different gun pods to the company demonstrator turret used on the Chieftain. The Leo 2 turrets have been upgraded still further. You could do a T-55 company demonstrator in Finnish camo (it existed), but you couldn't build a production vehicle.

Cheers,

Centaur

Edited by Centaur95
duplicated text

• 2 months later...
On 30/09/2016 at 5:30 PM, Julien said:

I would have though a production vehicle would have had more promise of sales then a one off, but what do I know!

What-iffery.

For some guys, the fact that a particular vehicle (or aircraft) was only a one-off, a mock-up, a blueprint or even just a rough idea sketched out on the back of a fag packet is part of the appeal, and thus a major selling point.

Good examples being the E-series of German "1946" armour, or "Luftwaffe '46" aircraft.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but then wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing?!