Last Call for HMS Hermes

Looks as if the Hermes is about to sail into the sunset for the last time...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/falklands-flagship-set-for-her-final-voyage-1-7182343

My uncle served aboard her during the Falklands War; we were on the dock side in that large crowd when she returned....

Edited by Paul Bradley

My younger brother just happened to be on a school trip when she set sail from Pompey. He took a photo of her on her way out as well as the Invincible. He still has the phots to this day although a bit faded now.

My younger brother just happened to be on a school trip when she set sail from Pompey. He took a photo of her on her way out as well as the Invincible. He still has the phots to this day although a bit faded now.

I wasn't allowed to take my camera into the dockyard on her return, but I did get this from the Gosport side when she left:

Hermes.jpg

Sorry about the pic quality, I had a crappy little Zenit camera back then!

• Like 2

Always sad to hear about an old lady's demise. :fraidnot:

Keep on like this and there won't be any of Pusser's war canoes left that I had a booze up on! :drink:

Dave

• Like 1

Before Hermes left Barrow, where she was built, there was a chance for workers to take family member aboard for a look around. My dad took me but as I was only 18 months old I don't remember anything of it.

Edited by David J Ross

• 1 month later...

Hi

I remember hermes in devonport, during the stay, pushbikes disappeared from everywhere, just before she was ready for sail to india, the ship was 'raided' and the items 'freed '

As a dockie, hermes and ark were the only carriers i set foot on.

Cheers

Jerry

• Like 3

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hermes is currently laid up in Mumbai. A individual tried to buy her for preservation via a crowd funding campaign and failed to get anywhere near enough money. The Indian Navy is pushing for a decision on her future as they don't want to see her scrapped.