**COMPLETED** 1/72 Airfix Mk1 (starter set)

robw_uk

My entry will be the Airfix Mk 1 starter set (as I wanted a British based set of markings). May brush paint using the supplied paints as I dont have the colours in acrylic already... anyway it will be a later start as the kit is a birthday present form my son so thats the end of Feb

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 1

may look at some additions as this will be used for a vignette - corrective wheels (believe I need to correct these) and perhaps the CMK gun bays - does anyone have any experience with that (kit is

CMK7315)

may look at some additions as this will be used for a vignette - corrective wheels (believe I need to correct these) and perhaps the CMK gun bays - does anyone have any experience with that (kit is

CMK7315)

Hi Rob. Yeah I've just ordered some replacement wheels from Hannants. Can't help with the gun bays I'm afraid.

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Rob. Yeah I've just ordered some replacement wheels from Hannants. Can't help with the gun bays I'm afraid.

:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

yeah thats what prompted me to look ;-) saw mention on your topic... need to wait til Feb 23rd to get the kit anyway (Birthday pressie from my son)....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

kit is now in my sticky mits... think i am going to paint some of the smaller parts on the sprue before i start assembly....

as lots of people are building the same kit, any tips??

Happy Birthday Rob.

Its a great little kit.

I have one on the go at the moment (unfortunately too much started before the GB), and completed this one a little while ago.

Yet another Airfix Hurricane (RYAF)

The trailing edges of the wings are on the thick side, and would benefit from some thinning before being glued together.

You may need to fill and smooth the join so it looks like one piece.

Fabric behind the gun access panels may or may not be correct.

I still cant find a conclusive argument or evidence.

Replacement of the incorrect wheels is a great move.

Enjoy a great little kit.

• Like 1

progress pic (plus box to show which kit it is)... need to paint the interior detail before I do any more (wings just place together for demonstration purposes:

25034666679_578c71de7c.jpg12805726_10153584295372979_8702649290966462563_n by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25376066246_4ccb539734_z.jpg12803169_10153584411337979_5016598272980058559_n by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 1

Good to see this underway. Are you going to try thinning the inside trailing edges of the wing parts before gluing them together? I've not tried assembling mine yet as, surprise, surprise, they're still on the sprues but, apparently, the trailing edge is very thick unless some is taken off. I think I'm going to try and do a bit of filing this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Good to see this underway. Are you going to try thinning the inside trailing edges of the wing parts before gluing them together? I've not tried assembling mine yet as, surprise, surprise, they're still on the sprues but, apparently, the trailing edge is very thick unless some is taken off. I think I'm going to try and do a bit of filing this weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix, yeah have thinned them a little - may be not as much as others as was worried about how the trailing edge would end up

• Like 1

Good start,

it would appear that if the trailing edges are the only things to fret upon, the Airfix Hurricane is O so more user friendly than the Revell offering!!!

So for all intent and purposes, have a lot of fun building it!

JR

• Like 1

interior paint... not sure the colours are accurate but as I dont have the right ones have mixed... interior green was gunship green + sunny flesh, "aluminium" was "natural steel" and gunmetal. decided as none f this is going to be super visible when complete its near enough... instrument panel decal on - need to matt it down....

25495650165_c4178a0313_z.jpgP3040234 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25377194242_f04dcddd9f_z.jpgP3040235 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25495643005_5a901ecc68_z.jpgP3040236 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25469523636_c8d5fff9d7_z.jpgP3040237 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25495635625_017ae7a6ae_z.jpgP3040239 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

24865083654_ff7343efa2_z.jpgP3040242 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 1

Good progress Rob. I don't know if you have joined the wings together yet but I decided to add that unit with the pipe to the top of the wheel well before gluing them together. I thought it may be a bit tricky getting it in once the wings are fixed. Following some test fitting I ended up trimming a bit off the sloped end of the unit because of the back wall of the wheel well.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

KInd regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

progress - build done, primer on... now to see just how bad the starter kit paints thin & brush paint......

oh and note - ROBERT CANNOT FILL SEAM LINES ;-)

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing some photos of your progress Rob. I think the seam lines are quite difficult to deal with on this soft plastic.

Nhmmmmmmmm sky underside and brown done..... I used the brown in the set, stirred well but VERY dark..... Will have to see how it looks - could be my first strip job (more likely a "just out up with it" tho)

Piccies tomorrow

• Like 1

Rescued... Lightened the brown with with a touch of sunny skin tone. Green on and sky tidied up.... Even free-handed the canopy.... Pics tomorrow. May even gloss it up as well

• Like 1

Come on Rob, pics or it didn't happen, call yourself a photographer!?! :bleh::photo:

ok, ok, you defeated me.. photos.... now glossed as well

25404325134_ed6770043e_z.jpgP3240259 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25942509771_5b47f9784c_z.jpgP3240260 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25916416382_1184263b0f_z.jpgP3240261 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

have to admit, for my skill with a hairy-stick its not toooooo bad

• Like 3

I have a weakness for these big markings on the vertical surfaces! It makes the plane come alive!!!

Rob, this Hurri is ending up looking really tasty!

Really good job on this one!

JR

• Like 1