Best Me-210 and Me-410 in 1/72nd Scale

Learstang

In the opinion of the cognoscenti (those who know) on this site, what is the best Me-210 in 1/72nd scale, and what is the best Me-410 in 1/72nd scale? I might as well expand that to include 1/48th and 1/32nd scale whilst I'm at it. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide!

Best Regards,

Jason

The Finemolds kit is good but not without it's problems. Most notably the engine nacelles are too big and are a poor fit to the wings, there are ways to get round the nacelle size issue that require surgery and there used to be an aftermarket replacement set by a German firm IIRC but I think it is long OOP.

The Italeri 210 and 410 are buildable (and available) but require a lot of work to get to the same level of detail as the FM kit. I think that covers 1/72 (although my memory is trying to tell me that Bilek might have covered them in 1/72 too IIRC).

Duncan B

• Like 2

I'm sure I asked a similar question not all that long ago. Duncan B's response is the current wisdom. FWIW the Fine Mold's (and Eduard's) nacelles ARE wider than the Italeri's and the Italeri nacelles DO match the plans in the Mushroom Model book. Etch for the Italeri kit is still available (don't buy all of it; I still want some). Fine Molds etch disappeared off my radar months ago.

• Like 1

I have the Fine Molds as well as the Italeri, so far i have only built two of the latter.

Here is m try :

861299_467080083411258_1153477641_o.jpg

12640276_867250953394167_693610708210781

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/topic/11035-coltul-cu-zerstorere/page__st__20

FM seems to have problems not only with the sheer size of the engines and propellers / spinners but also with their position in relation to the wing.

The engines should be aligned to the wing, on the FM kit they are aligned to the ground and that is difficult to correct, EVEN with the resin set.

Also the fit is not what one would expect from a Fine Moulds kit.

The Italeri can be built into a very nice model but the main wheels and propellers must be replaced .

• Like 4

As far as I am aware, the following Me210/410 kits have been sold in the UK, others may know more....

Me210s

LF Model: resin

Me210A-0/A-1: only short fuselage 210 kit

Bilek: injected plastic, same basic moldings in each variant

Me210A-1: long fuselage (Kit No.932)
Me210A-1: "Nightfighter"; contains etched Fug200; mythical variant? (Kit No.937)
Me210B-1; recce model, two underwing auxiliary tanks, 2 built (Kit No.935)

Italeri: injected plastic (NOT the same moldings as the Bilek Me210 family)

Me210A-1; (Kit No.077)

Revell: injected plastic,same moldings as Italeri Kit No.077

Me210A-1: (Kit No.04606-0389)

Me410s

Frog: injected plastic, old and inaccurate

Me410 (Kit No.F178)

Eduard: injected plastic,

Me410 "Zerstorer"; same moldings as FineMold series (Kit No.7028)

FineMolds: injected plastic, same basic moldings in each variant, oversized engine nacelles, tailplanes not in alignment

Me410A-1 "I/KG51": (Kit No.FP12)
Me410A-1 "II/KG26" (Kit No.FP11)
Me410A-3 "2/FAG122" (Kit No.FP13)
Me410B-1 "14/KG2" (Kit No.FP14)
Me410B-1/U2/R4 (Kit No.FL9)
Me410B-1/U4 (Kit No.FL10)

Italeri: injected plastic, same fuselage moldings as their Me210 kit paired with new wings

Me410:

Lindberg: injected plastic, old and VERY inaccurate

Me410: (Kit No.440)

Matchbox: injected plastic, old with little detail but reasonably accurate

Me410(Kit No.PK-113)

Revell: injected plastic, same moldings as Frog Kit No.4332-0389

Me410A-2/U4:

Edited by bil
  • Like 4

Thank you gentlemen for your responses! I built an Me-410 many years (decades) ago, either a Frog or even (probably) a Lindberg kit. Bad edd - beautiful models; is that Hungarian example an Me-210? Bil, nice listing, thank you for that! I've already ordered the Italeri Me-410 so I'll see how that looks.

Best Regards,

Jason

I think nobody told yet a single word on canopy, which (accordingly to my experience) is too large (exactly: too high) in Italeri kit.

Can anybody confirm this error?

Regards

J-W

I cannot

I think nobody told yet a single word on canopy, which (accordingly to my experience) is too large (exactly: too high) in Italeri kit.

Can anybody confirm this error?

Regards

J-W

I haven't noticed, but i remember it was incredibly hard to fit.

• Like 1

I have the Fine Molds as well as the Italeri, so far i have only built two of the latter.

Here is m try :

The Italeri can be built into a very nice model but the main wheels and propellers must be replaced .

Very nice indeed!

:goodjob:

I'd completely forgotten about the Matchbox kit!

The Finemolds kit does require a bit of work to build, even when building OOB, due to the fit of the engines to wings and I also had problems with the fuselage halves being mismatched. The canopy parts were also difficult to fit together onto the fuselage. I explained some of the failings when I posted my RFI here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969606-me-410-b-1u4-beware-the-bfg-stab-iizg26-1944/?hl=me410

Duncan B

• Like 2

I'd compleely forgotten about the Matchbox kit!

The Finemolds kit does require a bit of work to build, even when building OOB, due to the fit of the engines to wings and I also had problems with the fuselage halves being mismatched. The canopy parts were also difficult to fit together onto the fuselage. I explained some of the failings when I posted my RFI here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969606-me-410-b-1u4-beware-the-bfg-stab-iizg26-1944/?hl=me410

Duncan B

OMG, i remember that build, FANTASTIC !

• Like 1

Lovely jobs on both your Hornisses, bad edd and Duncan! It looks like I'll be opting for the Italeri Me-410 (and -210) as I want an easy build for these. I might pick up the Fine Molds (sic) kit anyway, though, just to compare them.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Having built many Finemolds Bf109s I was taken aback by how poor fitting my FM Me410 was, an easy build it was not. I wonder how easy it would be to transplant the Matchbox or Italeri (although I know they aren't the most detailed) nacelles onto the FM kit?

Duncan B

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your kind words.

You can take a look at my build log for the Italeri kits, it's by no means a benchmark, but you can at least see what's you can expect when building it.

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/topic/11035-coltul-cu-zerstorere/

Regards,
Ed

PS . I have tried matching the Italeri engines on the FM. It's almost impossible since you can easily hide the entire italeri engine inside FM's one. The difference is just too big.

Perhaps the Matchbox ones...

Here is the FM engine next to Italeri.

http://www.cartula.ro/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5592

Edited by bad edd
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 1/27/2016 at 1:31 AM, Giorgio N said:

Bilek did cover both types but their kits are just reboxes of the Italeri moulds

A bit of a "late" reply, but the Bilek kit is not a rebox of the Italeri kit.  It is it's own.

Bilek kit here and Italeri kit here.

• Like 2

A while back we had a long, spirited, and informative discussion on the 1/72 Fine Molds Me-410 kit that included the corrections needed to make the kit more accurate, and IIRC, the discussion included comparisons of the various kits. You can look for it. I was one of the posters; if I can find the doggoned thing, I will post it here. We sure could use a better kit- it is one nasty-looking little spud! If you go to the 'net and do a search for 1/72 Fine Molds Me-410 Britmodeller, you can see all the forum discussion topics, WIP's, and RFI's- there are several.

Mike

• Like 1