Nearly the Granddaddy of Them All - Stephenson's Rocket

Bonhoff

Hi All,

Second entry in this GB. Popped in to Trains4U in P'boro (Work just up the road) for various tools and consumables for the A4 and this fell in the basket as well.

Complete polar opposite of the A4 - Stephenson's Rocket was a ground breaking development in the very beginning of steam locomotive engineering. Introducing boiler tubes, the blastpipe and cylinders coupled directly to the driving wheels.

It's the Dapol (Ex Airfix/Kitmaster) Rocket which I built at least 4 decades ago - Don't expect this one to move under its own steam though (Sorry)

This is one that can be built at lunchtime at my desk - Something I wouldn't entertain doing with a whitemetal kit, elf and safety and all that....

24001286404_1e89e9e535_c.jpg

• Like 8

Hello,Bonhoff - Good for you and go for it!! My build of this subject isn't very good but it was good fun and an enjoyable occasional 'change of subject' model.Good luck and enjoy! ;) All the best,Paul.

image.jpg17_zpswp9vpd4s.jpg

image.jpg21_zpsxuhm63ba.jpg

image_zpsacvcyxkp.jpeg

• Like 7

Oh yes! Another brilliant choice for the GB.

I do hope those figures are still included in the kit (don't panic, don't panic.. :frantic: )

Yep - Replete with their stovepipe hats.

• Like 1

Oh yes! Another brilliant choice for the GB.

I do hope those figures are still included in the kit (don't panic, don't panic.. :frantic: )

Hopefully the figures will still be there.My build was the Dapol flavour as Bonhoff has got. ;) All the best,Paul.
  • Like 2

Subassemblies assembled......

24167903154_0803ac6ae9_c.jpg

Spent some time at lunch perusing pictures of the various replicas that have been constructed in the ensuing 187 years to see what other details can be added.

I think it's safe to say that this will be a replica of a replica as photos from 1829 are somewhat lacking.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Cool choice of subject and it looks to be flying (rocketing?) along. :coolio:

If only my builds were flying, mojo taken a bit of a battering recently and I've only managed the first coat of yellow on the Rocket in the last couple of weeks.

Will try and get them done though.

Thanks for the interest from you all.

IanJ

• Like 2

Teeny bit of progress last night - Only another coat of yellow but I thought I'd post this picture to show you the difference in size between The "Rocket" and the A4 (Same Scale!) that's on the bench as well....

25241834822_6e4e7f2ed4_c.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...