English Electric Canberra PR.9 - RAF

English Electric Canberra PR.9

No.39 Squadron - Royal Air Force - RAF Marham 2006

1/48 Airfix

This is the result of a very long break from the hobby, around 2 years. This break was during my A-Levels and 1st year of University. Now in my second year of uni, I wanted to get back into the hobby. So with the money I earned working over the summer I finally purchased a respectable airbrush a H&S Evolution 2in1 and ditched the cheap Chinese imitation badger airbrush that looking back really gave me trouble!

To get back into modelling I went for a relatively simple build the 1/48 Airfix EE Canberra PR.9 that I'd picked up very cheaply a few years back. I am aware of the long list of issues regarding accuracy of the kit but being a come back build it's all OOB, with the addition of my first ever stretch sprue antenna. The model was painted using predominately using Tamiya paints except the underside which made use of Humbrol's acrylic 166. The model was finished as XH135, in it's 2006 scheme prior to retirement. From references XH135 wasn't too grubby as had was repainted on return from it's final deployment to the Middle East earlier in the year, this colour remained behind the cockpit, something I've attempted to capture. Weathering was carried out using my own pastel washes.

Onto the images;

24581607326_2b5d9a6a18_b.jpg

24499420392_9b93a9c11d_b.jpg

24607742245_ed4ed2bfa9_b.jpg

24581600886_4c9bd985b6_b.jpg

24312213140_08efdbf6b8_b.jpg

24581595576_9078469fa9_b.jpg

23980947333_648b5f0b78_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Nick

Edited by NickThompson
  • Like 54

Lovely looking Canberra! The Airfix kit is much maligned, but builds like this show that with a bit of effort a VERY nice model can be made from the kit!

Thanks for sharing!

Nik

• Like 2

Hello,Nick -.Welcome back to the noble art! My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'PR9'. I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the restrained weathering.She is a resplendent tribute to the type.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Beautiful finish and welcome back from your years in exile! Only the other day was I saying I get tempted to build a PR.9 every time a nice Canberra pops up and now here you are with the item in question! It looks every inch the part.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the kind comments, greatly appreciate all of them!

Next build is a 1/48 Harrier that will gain a WIP very soon, I'm just awaiting the arrival of an Aires resin cockpit to properly get underway with this build.

2nd year of Uni, shouldn't you be in a penniless stupor....? :-)

Unfortunately you're not far off with that!