`Colly`s Battleship' Hurricane Mk.I, L1669, Fabric Wing, Egypt 1940- Airfix 1/72nd kit converted-FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I couldn`t miss out on a Hurricane GB so as I had recently bought a rare photo of early Mk.I, L1669 `Colly`s Battleship' wearing an early desert finish in Egypt during 1940-41 it would be just rude not to build a model of it!

Here are the parts laid out for anybody who has not built this model before;

1b_zpsj8ndwgrl.jpg

After a bit of pre painting on the sprue here are the optional parts from the kit for the early pre war style aircraft with 2 bladed prop, flat under fuselage, early exhausts, short tail wheel, early pitot and pole style radio mast and lack of armour on the cockpit rear bulkhead (plus an unarmoured windscreen not shown here) and the early WW2 style aircraft with later exhausts and pitot, armour, 3 bladed DH prop, later under fuselage section with strake and longer tail wheel, plus the later mast (and again not seen here- an armoured windscreen);

72-1h_zpsugjpp1fb.jpg

I`ll be fitting a resin Vokes filter to the model as soon as I`ve dug one out from the spares box,....it came from SAM magazine years ago,

Cheers for now

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

A bit more progress,......;

The wings have been glued together and the undercarriage bay has been pre painted silver;

7_zpscuonnblv.jpg

The cockpit has also been put together and mounted in place;;

6a_zpsyb5reo2u.jpg

I`ll be sanding the area behind the gun access panels flat to represent the metal skinning used in this area rather than the fabric effect included in the kit and the spine area behind the cockpit will be sanded down to allow the kit canopy part to be slid back and mounted open,

Cheers

Tony

Thinking about it, I might repaint the seat silver?

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Hiya Folks,

I`m not sure if I`m allowed to continue this because I mistakenly started too soon? Having initially decided to leave this one alone I`ve posted my progress so far just in case it is still allowed? Here it is,...slightly more advanced as I didn`t want to post again before the start date;

72-1k_zpscgywpujv.jpg

Then after the main painting was complete,.....rattle can white for the undersides and then the black was masked off and brush painted using thinned Tamiya acrylic, with Polly Scale Middle Stone and Dark Earth also brush painted;

DSCF6893_zps0wswebaw.jpg

DSCF6964_zpsqti3dd4c.jpg

and here it is along with the photo that I bought of the real thing, wearing its desert scheme;

DSCF6963_NEW_zpsyvx6csyt.jpg

I`ll be applying the decals soon!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Looks great so far Tony,think it's definitely beyond the 25% mark though. Please feel free to continue your build, after all that's what we're all here for, but I think we'll have to not enter it into a poll at the end of the GB...if we have a poll,haven't decided on that one yet.

Cheers Stew & Doug,

Looks great so far Tony,think it's definitely beyond the 25% mark though. Please feel free to continue your build, after all that's what we're all here for, but I think we'll have to not enter it into a poll at the end of the GB...if we have a poll,haven't decided on that one yet.

No worries Doug,.....I doubt very much whether it will feature very highly in any poll anyway! If it helps I`ve added a further construction photo, just sorry I didn`t notice the start date of the GB,......I`m still a bit new to this game.

The decals have been applied and I`m just varnishing and weathering the model now,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

I´m sorry Tony, I need to learn to :shutup: because I had no intentions of being a :police: or even less a :fuhrer: . Feel like a :pig: though :weep: . V-P

Hey please don`t worry about it,.....it was my mistake and you were merely pointing out that I had made a boo boo,.......there are no hard feelings whatsoever and I`m glad that you told me!

Anyway onto the model,......here are some update pics after the matt varnish and most of the weathering has been completed;

DSCF6976_zps4j31mw0r.jpg

DSCF6965_zpsceihl8tj.jpg

When it was delivered to Egypt to undertake tropical trials L1669 had silver undersides with black serials under the wings and when the undersides were changed to black and white the serials were re applied (with both schemes the upper surfaces were Dark Green and Dark Earth), however I have chosen to depict these serials painted out. Why? Well just before hostilities with Italy L1669 was employed by the AOC Egypt Air Commodore Raymond Collishaw CB, DSO & Bar, OBE, DSC, DFC (of WW1 RNAS fame) to fly into various landing strips and airfields along the Libyan border in order to make the Italian`s think that the RAF had a substantial number of Hurricane`s on strength in Egypt,....and this may also be the reason for the application of the Middle Stone camouflage to cover the previous Dark Green areas too? It would seem strange to have the serial emblazoned on the undersides when L1669 was masquerading as a larger Hurricane force, hence my decision to replicate hastily painted over serials under the wings,....here is the undersides;

DSCF6967_zpsmiksffpy.jpg

and here is a close up,.....I hope that the photo shows this up better?;

DSCF6971_zpsuaygnyye.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Hiya Folks,

Pity I didn`t read the start date and began the model 5 days too soon,......I just assumed that as there were posts on the GB that it was open,....dohh! Anyway,....here is the finished model;

DSCF7001_zps25tgqlet.jpg

DSCF6981_zpstpcuwj1s.jpg

DSCF7011_zpsygxlenw6.jpg

DSCF7026_zpsonxip6y0.jpg

I hope that you like it anyway and I`ll stick a post in the Gallery,

Cheers

Tony

Edit- I just thought that I would add this wartime 1942 card publication about Air Commodore Raymond Collishaw;

3847567_orig.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Really nice model of the Battleship. Great job and I think your supposition about the underwing codes makes total sense.

Jim

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...