Two 1/72 Airfix Mk.I Hurricanes - One finished and in the Gallery

PlaStix

Your're right Stix, that's exactly the same PE set I'll be using. It'll be some time before I start my Hurri, though. I'm now building a Folland Gnat for the Made in Britain GB, started just a few days ago. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by so many unfinished builds in my bench and so many interesting GBs going on, so I decided to build something simple and OOB to recover my modelling motivation. Hopefully, that'll do the trick :)

I'm also thinking about that vignette I told you about (USAAF P-51A and Jeep in North African Desert) but I still haven't found any inspirational pictures with this aircraft and no figure sets with American ground crews and pilots for North Africa seem to be available. I may have to make an alternative vignette with a German Komet and trolley.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

Your're right Stix, that's exactly the same PE set I'll be using. It'll be some time before I start my Hurri, though. I'm now building a Folland Gnat for the Made in Britain GB, started just a few days ago. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by so many unfinished builds in my bench and so many interesting GBs going on, so I decided to build something simple and OOB to recover my modelling motivation. Hopefully, that'll do the trick :)

I'm also thinking about that vignette I told you about (USAAF P-51A and Jeep in North African Desert) but I still haven't found any inspirational pictures with this aircraft and no figure sets with American ground crews and pilots for North Africa seem to be available. I may have to make an alternative vignette with a German Komet and trolley.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime. I'm looking forward to seeing the thread for your Gnat!

I know what you mean about figure sets being difficult to track down. You could ask the question about their availability over in the Vignette GB thread - you never know someone may know of something suitable.

With my P-47 now finished I've been able to concentrate on this project today.

First off this is how it looked first thing:

26185137015_2f8099a732_c.jpg

25912283360_e8aabe9da0_c.jpg

The pre-shading is Revell's Anthracite.

The windscreen is glued in place but the pilot is just placed in his seat:

26092688992_e5dab35de1_c.jpg

After a few thinned coats of Humbrol 90, a grey panel line wash and some dry-brushing the underside looked like this:

26118809161_eb18503dd0_c.jpg

While waiting for each coat to dry on the underside I did some painting of more of the smaller parts:

26159194796_611cb49b66_c.jpg

I have done a bit more this afternoon - painting the upper surfaces with Humbrol 29 - but I haven't taken any photos.

More tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Hi Stix,

the great work on your Hurris continues. As usual, the paint finish on the underside turned out superbly smooth. The wash highlights the panel lines very well and the small parts have been perfectly painted. Very well done! :goodjob:

Hi Jaime. I'm looking forward to seeing the thread for your Gnat!
I know what you mean about figure sets being difficult to track down. You could ask the question about their availability over in the Vignette GB thread - you never know someone may know of something suitable.

Thanks for the advice on asking about the figures in the Vignette GB thread. I already intended to do that, only lack of time has prevented me from doing it.

In the meantime I managed to start my thread on my Gnat build, after a full week of working on this build.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Nice work on the underside colour and little bits Stix :goodjob:

Thank you Col.

Hi Stix,

the great work on your Hurris continues. As usual, the paint finish on the underside turned out superbly smooth. The wash highlights the panel lines very well and the small parts have been perfectly painted. Very well done! :goodjob:

Thanks for the advice on asking about the figures in the Vignette GB thread. I already intended to do that, only lack of time has prevented me from doing it.

In the meantime I managed to start my thread on my Gnat build, after a full week of working on this build.

Cheers

Jaime

Thank you Jaime. I've just been to check out your Gnat build and it seems to be up to your usual very high standards! :thumbsup:

I have to say I am enjoying building these - having said that I think I just enjoy building most kits!!

This was how it looked after Saturday's coat of Humbrol 29 - thinned with water and applied by flat brushes:

25606820384_4b958cdacf_c.jpg

25938704040_cfa5fb16a4_c.jpg

It had also had a panel line wash and some dry-brushing done to pull out the detail.

Yesterday I started adding the green - in this case thinned Humbrol 116 - applied freehand:

26119108732_9d9137310a_c.jpg

26119112232_43404d0416_c.jpg

The panel lines in the green areas were also given a panel line wash and I did some dry-brushing on these areas too.

Finally yesterday I gave it a coat of Pledge (new version of Klear):

26185658566_a47469f3ac_c.jpg

25606804974_8c7dd8a013_c.jpg

26119101512_d852e1aa1c_c.jpg

25606798654_a20bb48fdf_c.jpg

Decals next weekend!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8

Great progress Stix, the dry brush on the ribbing and the wash on the panel lines worked very well!

Thanks for taking a look on my Gnat build and for your very kind words. I'll try to progress a bit over the week.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

That's looking lovely Stix :goodjob:

That is indeed looking lovely stix, nice work!!

Rob

Good evening Stix

Very nice work so far ..

Patrice

Hi Col., Rob and Patrice. Hope you are all having a pleasant evening and thank you for your comments.

Great progress Stix, the dry brush on the ribbing and the wash on the panel lines worked very well!

Thanks for taking a look on my Gnat build and for your very kind words. I'll try to progress a bit over the week.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime. Thank you for your kind comments. I was quite happy with the washes and dry-brushing- it's the first time I've tried them before the first coat of Pledge.

With regards your builds; I always enjoy following your projects - you have a very precise way of working which I think is great! :thumbsup:

I've had a day off work today so Mrs PlaStix and I spent a few hours building our respective projects - Mrs P on her Mary Rose kit, for the Starter Set GB, and me on the decals for this.

First off I cut out all the decals as close to the printed areas as possible - to try and minimise any silvering behind the clear sections:

26292514655_8ca1e38564_c.jpg

Then a few hours later they were all on:

26200042662_eac3471bce_c.jpg

25689739033_3a1efa48d0_c.jpg

There wasn't that many - I think because it's a Starter Set - but I put a few on and then gave them a coat of Pledge to seal them on - this obviously has to dry before moving onto the next few. While waiting for the various coats to dry I did some work on the wheels and prop.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

I really must try your method of cutting out the transfers as close as possible, it appears to be very effective!

Looking good mate

Rob

Hi Rob and thank you. Cutting out decals does slow the process down but the results tend to be, I think, better. I still get bits of silvering where there's some clear film but with less amounts of clear film it helps. You need a good pair of scissors and a range of different blades to cope with some decals - the letter S, for example can be a real pain depending on the style.

The Hurri looks superb with the decals, Stix!

As for precision, you have no lack of it yourself :)

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime - thank you - you are too kind! :blush:

On Saturday morning - this was the state of play:

26067882270_196b66956c_c.jpg

25735872124_6df2c26a31_c.jpg

Matt varnish sprayed on from a rattle-can, light weathering applied, second coat of matt varnish sprayed on, wheels, exhausts and aerial fitted.

You'll perhaps notice that in the last photo - of the underside - that there is a hole drilled in the fuselage towards the tail wheel - this is so I can do this:

25738002563_1e66625ff8_c.jpg

26340787945_02d5e32434_c.jpg

Then after a bit longer I had managed to get the PropBlur fitted as well as the aerial cable and pitot tube and this is how it looked last thing on Saturday morning - finished!

26248373922_83da96b1d2_c.jpg

After that one was finished I got back to working on my other 1/72 Airfix Hurricane build which I'm adding some PE to and some replacement wheels.

This was the stage I managed to get it to on Sunday:

26343772175_58b647a848_c.jpg

26277525001_99c23e1b80_c.jpg

25740987783_2527989aea_c.jpg

I've still got quite a lot to do on this one but won't be able to get back to it until next weekend.

I have taken some photos of the completed Hurricane which I will post in the Gallery when I have managed to sort them out.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

That is a very effective display you have achieved stix, graceful!

Looking forward to number 2!

Rob

Hi Rob and thank you. Not quite sure what to do about the second one at the moment. I hadn't realised how close we are to the end of the GB. I thought we had another three weekends left but, because the GB ends on a Thursday (?!) - 28th April - it means we only have two weekends left and I'm going to struggle to get finished. I am surprised this GB finishes on a Thursday - I thought they all ended on a Sunday evening. I might ask in the chat section if this end date is correct. If it is I may swap and work on my Spitfire build for the Edgar Tribute GB which I have been neglecting to work on these and my P-47.

Anyway - as the first one is finished (and there's probably no chance of me now getting a diorama completed as well! :frantic: ) I decided to post the photos in the Gallery that I took on Sunday.

They can be found Here.

There are also more photos in the RFI section Here.

And a couple here:

26405837365_b0ef58f210_c.jpg

26339650281_a3bb42cc71_c.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Bloody hell it is soon isn't it!

A wise decision stix, sometimes you need to stop spinning so many plates/builds!

Well done on a cracking build!

Rob

Yes it is rather - it took me by surprise!

Thank you again for your really kind comments! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Hi Stix,

Excellent job, as usual! Very impressive display :thumbsup:

I think that you made a good decision in not rushing the second Hurricane.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

Excellent job, as usual! Very impressive display :thumbsup:

I think that you made a good decision in not rushing the second Hurricane.

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime. Hope you are well. Thank you, as always, for your very kind comments. I'm really itching to do some more on the second Hurricane but, deep down, I know I wouldn't get it finished in that timescale. I might do some work on the Spitfire first thing tomorrow and perhaps do something later on the Hurricane. I'll wait and see.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Some great pictures there Stix, but the beefy areal wire spoils them a bit, there are surly some thinner alternatives around.

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter. Thank you too for your comments and you are quite right about the appearance of the aerial wire. In real life it's hardly noticeable but in the photos, especially against the blue sky background, it does stand out. In the past, on my first 1/72 Spitfire build since returning to the hobby, I used one of my own hairs........ but, unfortunately, these days, I'm rapidly running out!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

She's wonderful Stix. :clap2:

I can't keep up with watching all these lovely builds!!

It's true, it's hard to keep up with all of your builds Stix. Your Hurricane looks incredible!

Thank you both very much Nigel and Cookie - you are both way too kind. :blush:

I have got a bit self indulgent and added some Photoshopped images to my RFI post - and an example here:

26068249824_0e154002cc_c.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4