Two 1/72 Airfix Mk.I Hurricanes - One finished and in the Gallery

PlaStix

My original intention was to build two 1/48 Hurricanes for this GB but I've ended up up with three GBs on at the same time - 'Made in Britain', 'P-47 Thunderbolt' and this one. So I decided that, if I was to stand any chance completing some or all of the kits, I'd need to do them basically OOB or attempt something which is smaller in scale instead - hence these two in 1/72. I haven't made a Hurricane since I was a kid so it's perhaps better that I try something in 1/72nd anyway - I made three 1/72 Spitfires before attempting any in 1/48.

The kits I'm using are these:
24471384942_9496eced49_c.jpg
They are basically the same kit but the bottom one of the two is the 'Starter set' boxing (from which I have removed the top bit of the packaging with the paints, glue and brush).

I am currently planning a small diorama with one Hurricane on the ground (without a pilot on board) and the other in flight. For the one on the ground I felt I could add a little more detail so I managed to get this Eduard set (with two sprues of PE) really cheap of the big A.
24497405611_7bcc32e20c_c.jpg

24553513876_b5940546d6_c.jpg

I probably won't be starting these for quite a while - I'll be working on the other two GB projects - but that's not a problem as I'll be able to follow and take notes from all the other builds happening here. I know next to nothing about Hurricanes so I'm going to be playing catch-up and doing some research before I start. I'll be making them as the schemes included in the boxes.

Really looking forward to having a go at these. I know there's a few issues with this kit ( :fight: ) but I have seen it made up into superb models here on BM.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Hi Stix, i look forward to seeing these progress. I have built this one a while ago and mine went together nicely. The undercart assembly is quite fiddly and a bit tight in places but other than that a very enjoyable build. Regards Greg

• Like 1

Good choice Stix sounds like a great dio in the making,this kit is a beauty and build's well,there were problems with a slight size difference between

the top and bottom wing,out of five only one of the first ones had an issue a dry run will be in order and it's an easy fix.Good luck.

• Like 1

i will probably go for the top of the 2 you have, also looking at a diorama (for the Vignette GB in a few months) so will be on the ground... need to get the kit for my birthday and toying up between this and a Typhoon (still for the Vignette GB but obviously not this STGB)

• Like 1

Hey stix, strange I was planning on doing a hurricane for this GB too....

It will be good to see your work on a small scale, I look forward to it!

The kit is a good one, I enjoyed the ones I did for Bob GB, just be careful with the chin as I got a step on all of mine made by the undercarriage assembly.

I will be doing one of these aswell but will probably chop the wings off.... Again! Shame there isn't demand for spare rag wings in 1/72! I would be minted!

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Stix, i look forward to seeing these progress. I have built this one a while ago and mine went together nicely. The undercart assembly is quite fiddly and a bit tight in places but other than that a very enjoyable build. Regards Greg

Hi Greg and thanks for the heads up regarding the undercarriage.

Good choice Stix sounds like a great dio in the making,this kit is a beauty and build's well,there were problems with a slight size difference between

the top and bottom wing,out of five only one of the first ones had an issue a dry run will be in order and it's an easy fix.Good luck.

Hi Steve and thank you for the advice about the possible issue with the wings.

i will probably go for the top of the 2 you have, also looking at a diorama (for the Vignette GB in a few months) so will be on the ground... need to get the kit for my birthday and toying up between this and a Typhoon (still for the Vignette GB but obviously not this STGB)

Hi Rob. I will look forward to seeing your build when you start.

Nice Stix, i ll watch this with interest :)

Thank you Wolwe.

Hey stix, strange I was planning on doing a hurricane for this GB too....

It will be good to see your work on a small scale, I look forward to it!

The kit is a good one, I enjoyed the ones I did for Bob GB, just be careful with the chin as I got a step on all of mine made by the undercarriage assembly.

I will be doing one of these aswell but will probably chop the wings off.... Again! Shame there isn't demand for spare rag wings in 1/72! I would be minted!

Rob

Hi Rob - yes Hurricanes for this GB eh? Who'd have thought! :winkgrin: Looking forward to following yours.

You might want to replace the wheels too. I agree that there is likely to be a fit problem with the wing halves, but fore-warned is fore-armed. That said, it is otherwise a lovely kit.

Hi Graham. Only two of the wheels, on the one on the ground, will be properly on view. Can I ask what I need to get hold of to replace them with?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hannants have both Kora and CMK 5-spoke wheels. I don't think mine were either, but can't track down any other available options.

Found them, thank you. I'll get some ordered. :thumbsup:

:popcorn: .....Little kits??......I'll keep track of this. It's a lovely kit.

Sean

Yep! Little kits. Hopefully it will mean I stand a chance of getting them finished in amongst all the other GB builds!

Good morning Stix

Very interesting project

patrice

Hi Patrice. I'm looking forward to working on these two.

And thank you to Graham (:thumbsup:) because I have ordered some replacement wheels.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

These arrived today from Hannants - the replacement 5 spoke wheels:

24124983864_741c7dbf0b_c.jpg

24659654951_5e1f66952b_c.jpg

Thank you to Graham Boak for the suggestion.

Now as soon as I find some time ( :frantic: ) I'll get these started - which may be a while yet unfortunately - still got two other GB builds on the go at the moment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I'd say start next weekend... you'll not be able to help yourself now you've got the wheels,

Sean

You know I really want to but I'm going to try and resist!! :bounce:

At the moment I'm thinking I'll get the actual Crusader tank as near to the finish line as possible (I'm planning on making a little diorama to go with it but that may have to wait for a bit) and I may do a bit on the P-47 if I get chance.............

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

These arrived today from Hannants - the replacement 5 spoke wheels:

24124983864_741c7dbf0b_c.jpg

24659654951_5e1f66952b_c.jpg

Thank you to Graham Boak for the suggestion.

Now as soon as I find some time ( :frantic: ) I'll get these started - which may be a while yet unfortunately - still got two other GB builds on the go at the moment.

Kind regards,

Stix

just ordered mine... there is going to be a global shortage of them at this rate ;-)

• Like 1

just ordered mine... there is going to be a global shortage of them at this rate ;-)

Great stuff. I reckon the manufactures of AM items must be delighted when forums like Britmodeller run Group Builds like this one!

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend it was time to get this project underway - I've almost got the Tamiya Crusader finished in the Made in Britain GB and my Tamiya P-47D is progressing reasonably well over in the P-47 Thunderbolt GB.

First off I got everything out on display before getting all the plastic sprues washed:

24717079594_ac4ceb0e48_c.jpg

I know most people have seen the sprues loads of times by now but just in case someone hasn't!:

25052165110_83cd3e8090_c.jpg

25254661831_6174b5754c_c.jpg

25254644421_7a21e46b55_c.jpg

25347722465_b4bc66f0a5_c.jpg

25321512576_85f606037a_c.jpg

Decals for both:

25321485156_5e0607c091_c.jpg

Sample of the instructions:

25321478746_9d41755ab2_c.jpg

A couple of closer photos showing some of the detail:

25254705601_fee4299241_c.jpg

24721035373_7573c84f92_c.jpg

The Eduard photoetch I'm going to use with the aircraft on the ground:

25229569872_95027db041_c.jpg

.....and the replacement wheels for the same Hurricane:

24721064393_02294e3771_c.jpg

And finally I'm going to use three of these for the Hurricane in flight:

25229584242_7a7f1106ae_c.jpg

My first actual job was to make sure I could paint around the side wall detail, on the Eduard set, reasonably neatly with the colour I'm going to use for the cockpit itself. I reckoned there was no point in using them if they couldn't be made to neatly match the rest of the cockpit. This first photo shows the first one done (top):

25052336850_d92f6daba0_c.jpg

Once I'd done the first I was reasonably happy and so started on the second:

24721178843_6636ef53fc_c.jpg

Then I removed some of the side wall detail as required in the Eduard instructions (top sprue):

24717306644_b9eb2f5252_c.jpg

Before getting some paint on - Humbrol's Cockpit green, thinned with water applied with a Humbrol flat brush:

24987548309_e7030fb2b6_c.jpg

I also got some other internal cockpit parts painted but nothing worth a photo yet.

I know, from reading a fair bit about this kit on BM, that there a a few issues with it here and there. I am going to try to correct a couple as I go but I'm not going to get too bogged down as I have far too may GB's on the go and about to start!

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

That,s an awful lot of goodies to pack in Stix,looking forward to progress :winkgrin:

Hi Steve. True but most of them are going to be packed into just one of the Hurricanes! The other, apart from the PropBlur, is going to be pretty much OOB.

Finally you have started..... watching. ...

May start mine later if things at home quiet down

Hi Rob. I'm glad you (and Col.) have got another of the gift set boxings started. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to get more done on mine!

Good start mate, lots of detail going into these,

Sean

Thank you Sean although, as I mentioned to Steve, most are destined for only one of them

Three days in the way until the weekend..........

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I have to say that, so far, I am really enjoying working on these two kits. I thoroughly enjoyed the two Airfix 1/72, new tool, Spitfires I built a while back and these have a similar feel. The fit isn't perfect and there often needs to be a bit of fettling done - seam lines, etc - plus the plastic is a little soft but the overall build is quite relaxing.

First off I got some photoetch fitted on the section that will be the top of the wheel well on the one that will be wheels down. I also got it painted with some Revell Aluminium. It then had a dark wash followed by a dry-brushing of Aluminium:

25404660012_7961113fbc_c.jpg

I also painted the same section on the other aircraft that will be in flight, so this area won't actually be seen - hence the reason I didn't bother tidying up the ejector pin marks - a photo showing a comparison of the two:

25227551640_eea626fa55_c.jpg

I also started building the wheel well for the 'in flight' kit:

25523164635_ce9de24478_c.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3