1/32 Tamiya Spitfire mk.IXc

Painstaking representation of a rather beat-up warrior! Fabulous work, really.

I assume the flaps are (rather atypically) lowered since the flap actuators are visible. But what's the matter with the aileron linkage? The port aileron is drooping while the stbd one isn't deflected up at all… not glued yet, perhaps?

Impressive modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Joachim you are right

I haven't glue the ailerons ...

Can they be both down or one up one down?

Periklis,

Ailerons are connected to move in opposite direction. If one aileron is up, the other one goes down for lateral (sideways) control of the plane.

When flying, if you move the control stick in the cockpit to the left, the left aileron will go up and the right aileron goes down. Tthe plane will lean to the left and, as a result, turn to the left.

On a scale model sitting on the ground, it's probably looks best to have the ailerons almost straight. If one is very much up and the other one very much down, the position of control stick should be offset to reflect that movement and things get complicated if the cockpit is already finished… ;-)

It's a beautiful model, Periklis!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Nice to see you back Periklis, you seem to have been away for a while?

VERY weathered, but the engine looks fantastic. Great modelling.

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

Nice to see you back Periklis, you seem to have been away for a while?

VERY weathered, but the engine looks fantastic. Great modelling.

This is technically correct, but subject to common misconception, and unfairly criticised in my opinion. The deflection of the ailerons is not uniform, the downward deflected aileron always deflects down more than the upward one deflects up. Sometimes the upward deflection is very difficult to discern with the naked eye as it is so slight. The downward deflection increases the camber of the aerofoil and creates the lift which raises the wing. The upward deflection on the opposite side acts as a spoiler and creates a reduced lift effect on the opposite wing.

By all means nitpick if that's your thing, but consider first if it's fair and accurate.

Hm. Nitpick? Unfairly criticised? Who's doing what here, I wonder? :-)

The basics of ailerons is that as one goes up, the other one goes down; I think we can agree on that? And that information is all that's needed for a model not to look 'wrong'.

As a one time sailplane pilot, I'm well aware of the theoretics of aileron differential movement and secondary aerodynamic effect. But that's the advanced course and rather irrelevant in this case, where it's just a question of having the ailerons of a beautiful model look right.

I'm sure you have the best intentions, though, Mr. Alan P.

Dixi.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hm. Nitpick? Unfairly criticised? Who's doing what here, I wonder? :-)

The basics of ailerons is that as one goes up, the other one goes down; I think we can agree on that? And that information is all that's needed for a model not to look 'wrong'.

As a one time sailplane pilot, I'm well aware of the theoretics of aileron differential movement and secondary aerodynamic effect. But that's the advanced course and rather irrelevant in this case, where it's just a question of having the ailerons of a beautiful model look right.

I'm sure you have the best intentions, though, Mr. Alan P.

Yes of course I do, which is why I deleted my comments a while back. You must have spent a long time digesting them while I was doing that!

Happy to continue the discussion off the thread privately, as I question if it actually does look "wrong" as you say.

Alan