1/72 Matchbox(ish) Westland 606

Rummaging through my spares box(es) I noticed that I had a nearly-complete Matchbox Lynx, missing only the three-windowed doors of the prototype/pre-production aircraft. I was wondering what to do with it, as all the pre-production aircraft with the original bullet-shaped tail fairing also had the three-window doors, when I was reminded of the Westland 606 - by finding a picture of the mock-up here on britmodeller.

(For those who don't know, the Westland 606 was a proposed civilian variant of the Lynx, with a 12" longer cabin, combination of sliding and hinged cabin doors, and potentially a choice of Rolls-Royce Gem or Pratt&Witney PT-6 engines. One mock-up was made but with no commercial interest, the project got no further. Supposedly the lengthened cabin would seat 12 passengers, with one more up front. Which sounds like quite a load for the original Gem engines!).

I didn't want to do the colour scheme of the mockup (XW836), not least because I could only find black-and-white contemporary photos of it, but then I found an attractive white over red scheme used in one of the few press adverts for it: http://www.adspast.com/store/skin1/images/pics9/westland742heli606.jpg

so I decided to base my model on that. I stretched the cabin by a scale 12" (i.e. 4 and a bit mm), cut down some of the single-window doors to form the sliding doors, made the forward hinged doors from left-over cabin sides from an AW101, added cabin seats originally from an Airfix Skyvan and used a Hobbyboss cockpit interior as the Matchbox one was so rudimentary. I couldn't persuade 12 seats to fit in the cabin, so I went for three rows of three-across, which would have been a bit more comfortable for passengers. I used Airfix main and tail rotors as I had plenty of these spare, I quite like the detail on them, and they match the various Airfix-based Lynxes I have built. I painted it overall Halfords Fiat White 210 (which I prefer to Appliance Gloss White as it doesn't look as starkly white to me, if you see what I mean) and masked and painted the undersides in Halfords VW Mars Red (which I often use to approximate Signal Red). Then i added the black pin-stripe using some Microscale 1/64 black stripe decals, which conformed fairly easily to shape, added warning decals and the Rolls-Royce badge on the engines from the spares box, and custom-printed the Westland 606 and G-BWHL civil registrations (a fictitious but appropriate serial for a Westland Helicopters Limited product, which in real life was actually issued to an Enstrom Shark I think). I think of my model as a 'what-if' - what-if Westlands had built a flying example of the 606, and perhaps kept it as a 'company hack' in this colour scheme.

So, here it is:

IMG_8086.jpg

IMG_8088.jpg

IMG_8090.jpg

(and more at: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TimV69/library/Models/Matchbox%201-72%20Westland%20606?sort=9&page=1)

• Like 28

Wow a 606! Always fancied having a go at this myself. I have 5 Matchbox Lynx kits stashed as I was going to make all of the prototypes one day!

What next? How about the Lynx 3 ZE477?

Thanks for your kind words, all! Yes, I think the paint scheme shows off the clean lines of the Army-nosed Lynx, something that particularly struck me half way through painting when it was in overall gloss white. And yes, a Lynx-3 is definitely on the 'to-do' list, along with some more of the early Lynxes - I have a complete Matchbox one and a Frog/Novo one also in the 'stash', as well as plenty more Airfix bits...

Tim