Tu-22KD Blinder from Modelsvit - 1/72 scale 'Shilo'

Not as good a finish as Alesha's model - but I have finally finished.... my 1/72 scale Tu-22KD Blinder from the Ukrainian firm of Modelsvit.

tu-22_62.jpg

tu-22_64.jpg

I've replaced the kit tail cannon with a tailcone mounting the SPS-100 'Reseda' active jamming system.....

tu-22_72.jpg

tu-22_69.jpg

I also cut the bottom fuselage panel to show the three downward opening doors for the ejection seats (which are in the kit)

I added straps and altered the footrests (the pilots and WSO seats are slightly different to the Navigators kit seat - thanks Gabor).

tu-22_73.jpg

The dragon decal is from Begemot (thanks Kotey!) - and I changed the bort number to 'Red 61' to reflect the tailcone changes and markings.

The kit comes complete with a Kh-22 missile and its handling dolly.....

tu-22_75.jpg

The kit is a typical short-run kit and I had a few issues with the fully-detailed interior (which can't be seen on the finished model!) - but Modelsvit are to be commended for producing a scale model of such an important and iconic Soviet warplane.

tu-22_76.jpg

More photos and WIP pics here.

WIP Thread is here

Ken

• Like 51

Great job Ken!

Always liked the Blinder, and this and Alesha's really look the goods. As does the Kh-22 - nice little model in itself.

Modelsvit look to be making some interesting kits. I saw their 1/72 An-124 the other day - huge and astonishing! Are you tempted? :)

Cheers,

Matt

Hello,Ken -,My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Blinder',I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the clean patina. She is a resplendent tribute to this impressive 'Beast from the East'. All the best,Paul.

Wow, that is a thing of beauty, what a fantastic looking aircraft. Don't find those downward firing bang seats too appealing!

Lovely work indeed,

Rgds,

Eng

Wow, that is a thing of beauty, what a fantastic looking aircraft. Don't find those downward firing bang seats too appealing!

At least it was a bit easier getting into the Shilo than it was into the M-50 Bounder......

ladder_01.jpg

m-50_023.jpg

That build here...

Ken

• Like 5

Fabulous work! That is one great looking aircraft. I think it is one of the great things about Soviet-era jets; they are just that little bit different in a 'wow, that would be great to build' way.

Lovely work Ken, looks great with the seats down too, but I think once I do mine they will stay up... less work an' all that.

Looking forward to seeing it at a show... what ever one you are doing next.. maybe a bomber theme for the table? ;) (car space permitted)

Lovely job on my favourite Soviet aircraft Ken, (like the idea of the lowered seats, might well do the same with mine). The SPS-100 is a nice modification too. As you say it's a great kit, particularly considering it's a short run nature and is quite a size when completed.

I'm looking forward to going to town on the finish with the Alclads. What's the story with the dark intake rings ?

Ken, you really played a... blinder with that one.....? :fool:

Sorry, had to do it! Since you mentioned Alesha's one, I would say they are two different presentations, the dropped seats on yours really enhances the look.

Great work, yet again! :clap2:

Al

What's the story with the dark intake rings ?

First off, I fitted the wrong ones :doh: there are two sets - those on sprues O & L with the other engine parts - and another set on sprue U (with the JATO bottles).

The intake rings on O & L are 'greyed out' - but I didn't check the instructions properly and used them - only spotting the the others at the end of the build.

I also sprayed them with Humbrol Polished Steel and buffed them up for contrast - but they are a bit too dark.... :(

I'm not too happy with my engine nacelles - rubbing down the joint removed the prominent engraved latches on the sides, the exhaust area is wrong where I tried to make the shroud that surrounds the exhausts etc etc..... it just went all wrong.

The fit of the completed nacelle onto the fuselage base also gave me problems....

I started the model with enthusiasm - but I ran out of steam at the end.

Still it is finished - warts and all.

Ken

PS - Or do you mean the dark area on the fuselage by the intakes?? - I noticed on a few photos that there appears to be a staining on the fuselage in the plane of the intakes - presumably heat or debris thrown off when the rings translate forward ??

You can see it here:- http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eEJpKiuvDvo/T0wUI3wSB0I/AAAAAAAAGz8/nW39ahGtq0Q/s1600/Tu-22R+%28Blinder-C%29+7.jpgand here:- http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/33344668.jpg.... although I've probably overdone it again !!!

Edited by Flankerman