Finnish MiG-21BIS chaff pod questions

ReccePhreak

Here is something that I found somewhere a long time ago about the reconnaissance bis fighters and copied into my archive. All six airframes were modified in the same way as 114! The active jammer pod is far more interesting than the flare dispensers, but this is just my opinion.

"Six of the new arrivals were modified in Finland for reconnaissance missions, using a Vintén external camera pod on the centreline pylon, and unofficially given the local desig­nation MIG-bisT (for tiedusteluversio, short- coded MGBT). They served with the TiedLLv at Jyvâskylà-Luonetjàrvi. These aircraft had Italian Electrónica SpA radar warning receivers fitted in 1987, with small MiG-21 R-style wingtip fairings added as a recognition feature. The centreline pylon could also be used for carrying a Philips 9CM120X chaff dispenser pod or a Selenia SUALQ-234 active jammer pod viihen the aircraft acted as an electronic warfare ‘aggressor’ during exercises. All MiG-21 bisT aircraft were trans­ferred to HavLLv 31 in 1995 to replace attrition losses of fighters."

Best regards

Gabor

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/24/2016 at 6:14 PM, Antti_K said:

Kari and Larry,

here you can find some detail photos of MG-114.

http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/referenssi_13421/

Best regards,

Antti

Antii,

I got back to working on my MiG-21bis this week, and I had another question that wasn't answered in your excellent photos. What was/were the colour(s) on the nose wheel well? Were they the same grays as the main gear wells?

TIA

Larry

I just found another added detail, that I didn't notice before. It appears that some of Finland's MiG-21bis aircraft (Including the recce mods) have a pod on the wingtips.

1568607-medium.jpg

Does anybody have more detailed info on it (dimensions?).

Larry

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Aren't these the standard MiG-21R type wingtip pods?

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=46529.0

Cheers,

Andre

The ones in that link are standard MiG-21R wingtip pods.

These are the pods I am talking about:

https://cdn.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2016/7/31/758314.jpg

https://cdn.airplane-pictures.net/images/uploaded-images/2016/7/15/750456.jpg

They are also in picture # 17 here:

http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/referenssi_13421/kuva_125226/#kuva

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
more info

On 6/28/2018 at 7:09 PM, ReccePhreak said:

I just found another added detail, that I didn't notice before. It appears that some of Finland's MiG-21bis aircraft (Including the recce mods) have a pod on the wingtips.

1568607-medium.jpg

Does anybody have more detailed info on it (dimensions?).

Larry

Good morning Larry,

as far as I'm aware only the recce-planes had those wing tip pods. I have measurements and close up photos. I'm currently at the office but I'll get back to you later today.

Cheers,

Antti

Hello!

Of the Finnish reconnaissance MiG-21 BIS - sometimes called MGT in documents.

The modification has not a thing common with with MiG-21R. Modification design and parts manufacture Finnish and Western products for all the ECM, flares and reconnaissance eguipment.

Cheers,

Kari

Hello Larry and all,

here are some close up photos showing the details of the RWR antennas mounted on a Finnish Air Force MGT. As Kari said they were western equipment. First the wing tip pods which are identical on both sides.

01aa012f-824d-494e-9d5a-75032461f029.JPG

Then the fin mounted rear quadrant antennas. Unfortunately I couldn't take any measurements

751dfb38-db94-4c16-9d17-d73a3e49eec1.JPG

There were also small cylindrical antennas on top of the fuselage spine and in front of the nose landing gear. Note the stenciling on the one on top of fuselage.

e9dbae51-90d6-4a11-bfc7-2260a9974c36.JPG

10617034-b430-48b6-96eb-4090653341e6.JPG

Ya-Gabor asked also about the seat colours. Some photos of MG-114 (Reconnaissance version MGT) but some fighters had medium blue gray seats.

3d3c2c81-581b-482d-adc5-f956867fe112.JPG

d66e69a3-eb17-47c7-b481-973fd7279b16.JPG

3419b23d-a21e-4e1b-88bb-93b1ba872cac.JPG

Someone also asked photos showing the airbrake housings. Here is the one on the under side.

42408708-872c-480d-9bb3-ced85422b9be.JPG

And on the starboard side.

1b9a1b0e-7bd5-4656-a414-45b8331a6531.JPG

Hope these help You. If there is something else you wish to see just let me know. I just might have the right picture for you😉

Cheers,

Antti

Antii,

Thanks SO MUCH for those excellent pictures & measurements!!! 

They really help me so much. That ejection seat looks really sharp, just like in a fancy sports car! LOL

The other question I had was about the color(s) in the main wheel well. You mentioned one color, but all the photos I have seen (including yours) appear to show two distinctly different grays. A tan gray up in the top of the well, with a lighter gray on the bottom and the doors. I looked at walkarounds, including MiG-21bis  aircraft in Russian museums, with unrestored paint jobs, and they have the same two different tones. Then there is this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taN0PGktBnw

Look at the 45 second mark, and you will see the two different shades of gray. The "tan" gray looks to me to be close to Light Gull Gray, while the other gray appears to be the same as the aircraft undersurface color.

Cheers,

Larry

• Like 1

Hello Larry,

you are most welcome🙂

I noticed those two grays as well; especially when looking at this photo (starboard main gear bay of MG-114):

d1053874-ac2d-4727-b018-dfb8071665db.JPG

The roof of the bay certainly looks like Light Gull Gray. So I checked my notes again:

"Inside main landing gear bay door (Russian paint) NCS  S2005-B50G a good match to FS 36473 which is slightly too greenish". And "Main landing gear bay interior (Russian paint) NCS S3502-B which is a close match to FS 36375".

The latter is darker and a "warm" shade when S2005-B50G is lighter and "colder" (more greenish). However in a photo they appear as equally light colours and the other one clearly looks brownish.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1