Help! Realistic Runway Tarmac?

modelfreak

I've never modelled tarmac, but perhaps spray painting and drybrushing a fine grade of sandpaper is one option.

Edited by Ravens

I have a build coming up soon and the tarmac I am using is from my local hardware store. I use a vinyl floor tiles with a concrete or stone texture. It seems to work great for my application.

IMG_1420_zps68zddwnf.jpg

• Like 2

Wow I was looking at this the other day when making a new base for my 1/32 stuff. I found some websites which actually tell you the composition of the airfield runway/taxi ways etc, but overall there are various colours you can't be wrong. I used Halfords grey primer then lightly sprayed RAF LAG in lines so to give the effect of where it was poured, then had a play with whites and dark weathering. Don't for get the filler to go between the "sheets" to allow for contraction/expansion.

Steve.

If you airbrush using a splatter cap. I take it you want Concrete and not Tarmac. Different shades of grey and build the picture. You can add light and dk browns (dont go mad with the Dk brown) Black,same again. It gives texture to the surface with the subtle changes. I did some brickwork and it looked like you could file your nails on it.

After you're happy with the result you can change the nozzle and spray dirt streaks,oil drips etc. Takes no time at all. Tarmac is a term,the Tarmac material can't be used for Refueling,O2 charges,Fuel melts it and O2 will give you a BIG BANG !

Runway Tarmac..Dk Greys and Black splatter,build as above. For white lines with movement, mask off a strip ,frisk film is best at the required width have a hard masked front (stuck down) and leave the back end open spray the front end the back end will be a fade out and give the impression of movement. For Tyre touch down marks on the white strips, same front end hard masked slightly curved but not too much and deffinately not straight,back open spray front with black and it fades out to the back.Dimensions a scaleTyre width and do it many times,overlapping but try and keep the fade outs at the back.

Forgot to mention..Leave the masking long so the fade out doesn't go around the ends of the tape/frisk film leaving straight "steps"

Edited by bzn20

I suggest a look in your nearest model railway shop, where a number of products for road surfaces are available. There are a wide number of books on scenic effects which will provide guidance how such things are dealt with. Guidance will also appear in railway magazines but of course this could be a bit hit-and-miss and is unlikely to consider more than one method.

Hardstandings are concrete, see Rish's post above. However runways are generally tarmack and for that you would need something blackish. Wet and Dry sanding paper is a good start, it's uniform in texture and colour. What it lacks is some definition, tyre scorch marks etc. So some weathering is needed. a splatter with a can of cream and dark grey will give a disruptive finish to the W&D.

Give it a go.

Colin

I used 240 grit wet and dry on one of my bases seen here. I was trying to recreate concrete rather than tarmac though. Best stuck down with contact adhesive rather than Photomount though as they started to lift and curl after a while.

• 2 weeks later...

When I did the pavement for my 1313 Mockingbird Lane, I bought some brick scene pavement paper that was made by Tamiya.

Maybe they might do the scenery runway paper that you are looking for.

Wayne.

Edited by Deadman Disciple

I created some different tarmacs today on photoshop and let them Print out on cardboard. The easiest way. If you like I Post tomorrow.

Andy

Like to see them Andy please!

• 2 weeks later...

I cheat as well! I'm beginning to think that printed tarmac from e.g. Uschi van der Rosten or Coastal Kits look far better than my earlier attempts to paint textured paper, etc myself. You can always customise them by chopping them up and recombining and adding static grass, etc for a '3D' element.

If you happen to be doing a Russian runway dio, then ICM do PAG-14 prefabricated runway slabs in 1:72 and 1:48 using injection moulding, and one pack (pag?) goes a surprisingly long way to making a good sized runway :)