jean

Hi everybody,

here is the Hurricane I shall endeavor to build (actually the only Hurricane in my stash), and as I have never built a Hurri before, I am looking forward to it.

Hurri%201_zps6xf67csr.jpg

Here are the sprue shots:

Hurri%202_zpsc9puypon.jpg

Hurri%203_zpssvhvedsr.jpg

I would love to say that I am going to build it OOB, but I am afraid it is not going to be possible.

If there is one thing I want to change or die trying, is the missing extension of the fuselage inside the canopy. After that, it should be plain sailing.... OK, I am kidding myself.

I may replace the guns with some resin after market meant for the Academy kit, but that is a mere detail.

Anyway, there you are.

If I finish it in time, I shall get so drunk!!!

JR

• Like 8

Nice kit all round Jean,build's well and looks like a Hurricane,Which scheme?

Hi Steve,

I have a weakness for the MTO paint schemes, so that will be it! I have found some pics of the plane's rear end, but nothing pertaining to the nose area, so I am not sure/convinced that the spinner is white. But why not? Anyway, if in doubt, it shall be white!

So no aftermarket decals on this one!

Cheers'

JR

I finished this one last year around the same time as this actually. Anyhow I had a right fight with it, most of it my own doing and from my youngest puppy at the time (don't ask).

I do see some people have criticised the model and the way it goes together, but I didn't think it was that bad. Just watch out for the wings and the tail wheel part. Everything else should be a doddle, I might join in with the 3-D Kits conversion for the 40mm guns, either that or a set from Sweet in 1/144 (that should be in MTO also). This is how mine turned out...

16228522442_fa3f26f2ae_b.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this one progress. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

you've already put the bar rather high with your Hurricane, and I haven't yet put scalpel blade to plastic!!! I will take it a small step at a time, with the main focus set on correcting the cockpit length. I know I should listen to that small voice in my head telling me to stop being a jerk and to build the damn model OOB...

Bottom line, nothing has changed since our common ancestors ate that stupid apple...

Thanks for the advice, although I am not counting on a doddle!!!

JR

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words Jean, I'm sure yours will turn out better than mine. Mine had a puppy eat it for a start! I kid you not... It was built out of box as well, the main point of these GB's is to have fun really. So as long as you do that, you are winning :) If you need any help with this kit, give me a shout (I am sure there are many other people who have also fought this kit). Just watch the bottom of the wings, they are a right bugger...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Hi Dazz,

feeding your puppy plastic, with or without wings, may have you reported to the RSPCA...

Here, no puppy, but a mongoose and some cats. Believe me, mongooses and models do not mix!

I sure will get hold of you during this build, as reinventing the wheel is kind of silly!

Cheers

JR

Thank you for the kind words Jean, I'm sure yours will turn out better than mine. Mine had a puppy eat it for a start! I kid you not... It was built out of box as well, the main point of these GB's is to have fun really. So as long as you do that, you are winning :) If you need any help with this kit, give me a shout (I am sure there are many other people who have also fought this kit). Just watch the bottom of the wings, they are a right bugger...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

What do you mean by "watching the bottom of the wings"?

As I mentioned to Mitch, my plan is to build the whole wing (bottom center + 2 outer wings) first, and then mate the fuselage onto this unit.

I foresee problems at the joints between the middle section and the outer units... Is that what you mean? I understand why Revell have split the wings the way they did, but it must have bitten a lot of people on the backside when they least expected it!!!

I am expecting it...

Cheers

JR

Hi Dazz,

What do you mean by "watching the bottom of the wings"?

As I mentioned to Mitch, my plan is to build the whole wing (bottom center + 2 outer wings) first, and then mate the fuselage onto this unit.

I foresee problems at the joints between the middle section and the outer units... Is that what you mean? I understand why Revell have split the wings the way they did, but it must have bitten a lot of people on the backside when they least expected it!!!

I am expecting it...

Cheers

JR

Hi Jean,

Thats what I mean excatly, I dunno if you could glue some spare plastic to guide/keep the bits in place. I hope that makes sense??

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

Great minds, etc. That's exactly the conclusion I reached.

But there is always this annoying step between theory and practice... So check this space!

Cheers

JR

Hi Dazz,

Great minds, etc. That's exactly the conclusion I reached.

But there is always this annoying step between theory and practice... So check this space!

Cheers

JR

Yeah I know the feeling on that one!! It "should" work. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Yeah I know the feeling on that one!! It "should" work. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

well the deed is done! I have glued all the wings components and if I am very happy with one wing, I am "not displeased" with the other!!!

Put stiffeners inside the wings and that did the trick, with everything aligned and no steps.

Just for fun I opened up the bullet casing ejector holes and removed the wing tips' lights to replace them with clear sprue.

Photos as soon as I can borrow my wife's camera... Now, that's tricky.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

just a couple of pictures to show the miserable progress to date.

All the wing parts have been glued on their own, as it seemed a more logical way to proceed. Plastic spacers inserted inside the wings to stop them being so easily pliable. The left wing (on the right...) was an accident: everything went perfectly, and you do not even see a seam! The wing on the left is far more in my usual style: I toppled it while it was drying, and the "perfect" adjustment that took me ages to achieve went straight out of the window.

But all in all I am happy. I still need to clean up all the seam and use a tad of putty, and I will call the wings finished.

Hurri%205_zpsg5vyfsmf.jpg

Re the half fuselages, I have removed all the raised details on the cockpit's sides. I am nowhere near good enough with a brush to paint properly all these thinly raised details. I will be better off re-building a cockpit structure and a few other thingies. Not that much will remain visible once the canopy is on.

Hurri%204_zpszurmgbjy.jpg

Next job: the cockpit and the dog house to move forward. Slightly scary.

I will welcome any suggestion pertaining to this kit and comments.

Cheers

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 2

Next job: the cockpit and the dog house to move forward. Slightly scary. I will welcome any suggestion pertaining to this kit and comments.

Cheers

JR

I´m doing that with two kits at the very moment, just haven´t posted any progress of it yet. First I cut two pieces of ~1mm thick plastic per plane and glued/laminated them behind the kit cockpit rear bulkhead part. I let them set thoroughly and then cut and sanded them following the original shape. Hint: doing that, remember that the top should remain straight, not follow the slant in the kit part. I didn´t so I now need to fill and sand that part level after it´s all glued together. I also drilled new hole for control stick and attached it and the seat+bulkhead about 2mm forward from the original position. The stick goes pretty close to IP now but hey and heck, nobody sees that anyway... Regards, V-P

• Like 1

Looking good there Jean. You've done the wings really well :) I'm still not 100% sure what the error with the cockpit is and why it needs moving, but I will find out once it has been done. I can wait to realise it, doesn't help that I'm moving house atm so my mind is everywhere. I have noticed one thing that was on my model and is on yours is the hole in the left wing.

24764261706_a61dd93ab0_b.jpg

Just be weary of that hole... I thought it was a cockup of the mould and filled it in. Not realising that the hole is actually for the pilot tube... that was fun to sort out.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

I´m doing that with two kits at the very moment, just haven´t posted any progress of it yet. First I cut two pieces of ~1mm thick plastic per plane and glued/laminated them behind the kit cockpit rear bulkhead part. I let them set thoroughly and then cut and sanded them following the original shape. Hint: doing that, remember that the top should remain straight, not follow the slant in the kit part. I didn´t so I now need to fill and sand that part level after it´s all glued together. I also drilled new hole for control stick and attached it and the seat+bulkhead about 2mm forward from the original position. The stick goes pretty close to IP now but hey and heck, nobody sees that anyway... Regards, V-P

Hi V-P,

In a subliminal way I think I do understand what you say.

Although I haven't yet dry fitted the canopy, I believe its thickness may preclude keeping the top of the fuselage at the same level, and for some reason I see myself having to lower the section under the canopy. I may be wrong. That's what I am going to try and find out in the next couple of days.

Have fun with your Hurri duo!

JR

Looking good there Jean. You've done the wings really well :) I'm still not 100% sure what the error with the cockpit is and why it needs moving, but I will find out once it has been done. I can wait to realise it, doesn't help that I'm moving house atm so my mind is everywhere. I have noticed one thing that was on my model and is on yours is the hole in the left wing.

24764261706_a61dd93ab0_b.jpg

Just be weary of that hole... I thought it was a cockup of the mould and filled it in. Not realising that the hole is actually for the pilot tube... that was fun to sort out.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Hi Dazz,

for a second you scared me, and there I was wondering how I managed to make this hole I could not remember having noticed..... Is it how it starts when one starts taking leave of his/her mind?

After countless plugging of holes I should have left well alone, now I do not touch anything until I am really, really sure...

Thanks anyway for the heads up!

Re the cockpit, if you look at a side view of a Hurricane, you will notice that the back of the canopy overlaps a section of the fuselage.

On the Revell kit, the back of the canopy is flush with the front of the rear fuselage. No overlap.

So that's what I am thinking of correcting by lengthening the front of the fuselage at the back of the canopy . I know I shouldn't let small things bug me, but sometimes they do!

On the IIc the head rest doesn't exist on most aircraft, so that is going as well.

I am sure this is the most muddled explanation you can ever read, but there you are!

Cheers JR

Good to see this one started Jean.

Thanks Steve,

well it's about time, and who knows, I may finish this one in time? It's a beautiful plane and a rather good model. So who's complaining?

JR

JR

• Like 1

In a subliminal way (though I need to check what that means 😉) I didn't made myself clear. By level I didn't mean level with the back of the fuselage, just, well, level and horizontal, but between a mm or 2 below the summit of the "hump" to clear the canopy. Damn it my camera has lousy macro - or I can't use it!

In a subliminal way (though I need to check what that means ) I didn't made myself clear. By level I didn't mean level with the back of the fuselage, just, well, level and horizontal, but between a mm or 2 below the summit of the "hump" to clear the canopy. Damn it my camera has lousy macro - or I can't use it!

OK VP,

then we are singing from the same hymn sheet! I have started by scribing the inside of the 'door' in the starboard cockpit and use it as a datum plane. Then the fun you are talking about will start.

I am not sure I can keep the seat though, or maybe just keep the backrest? This is going out of hand...

Cheers

JR

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

progress is happening, even if not as fast as I would like, but it was not possible to take any progress photos this past week-end... Too much happening around us that required the camera, I was told! Damn...

I have nonetheless a question: I have cut the radiator flap to replace it with a home made job, and repositionned the back face of the radiator, covering it with silver cigarette packet paper. It looks a lot better than before.

Then I noticed there was an identification light on the underside of the wing center section, right behind the radiator. So far so good, but then I found photos where 3 lights are present, possibly green, red and amber (?).

So for the ones who have the knowledge: one identification light or three, and what colour?

Having gone that far, I might as well get the proper number of lights!!!

Thanks a bunch for your imput!

JR

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It has been a very long time since my last post, and I dare say Life hasn't been very accommodating in term of spare time...

Anyway, I have started gluing the radiator. The fit is not great, to say the least. Plus I did scratch built another radiator back face as the model's one is in the wrong place.

Hurricane%206_zpsvglbj76a.jpg

Re the cockpit the rear extension was a mission in order to get a reasonable geometry, but I am happy with the result as this was my main gripe with the kit.

Hurricane%207_zpsjkeu0lei.jpg

The next two photos show the poor progress to date with the cockpit interior. The Evergreen material I have is too thick, for some reason I was unable to stretch sprue worth a damn, and the hypodermic needles I had were too thick, but I had to use the thinnest of them in desperation!

I got some thinner ones from the chemist the other day, which will be used for the last structural reinforcements. The rest will be much faster, but there is still a seat to scratch built (almost finished).

Hurricane%208_zpsjizycwmm.jpg

Hurricane%209_zpsmxtr9hke.jpg

So I may not finish in time for the deadline, but I shall not look at another kit until this one is finished!!!

Heard that one before?

Comments always welcome.

Cheers.

JR

PS: Yesterday, I took the above photos during a visit of the local IPMS chapter, seen here waiting for the flightpast... They did not think much of my efforts...

Hurricane%2011_zpsvskzjmab.jpg

• Like 4